Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2015 12:00

vWorkspace Linux VDI

Hi,

Its a bit of complicated setup, but I'm working on creating a 50 Linux Virtual desktops for a college classroom on Hyper-V. I've created the computer group (New Computer Group > Other/Physical) where I placed the CentOS linux. These machines are CentOS 6.6, I've installed xRDP and I'm using the 7.7 VDE. Everything wis working as expected, but my question is is there a way to suspend the machines if they are not being used to conserve resources because under the properties of this type of group "Power Savings" is grayed out? It appears that power savings are only enabled for Windows computer group. Is there any way to script suspending the VM's until someone attempts to accessing it?

I have 2x RDP gateways, 2x Connection Brokers, Three Hyper V servers.

57 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 14:00

Hi,

You should be able to create the Linux group as a HyperV Desktop group rather than an "Other/Physical", this should allow you to then set power savings.

Let us know if that works?

Thanks,

Sam 

4 Posts

August 5th, 2015 16:00

Hey Sam,

thanks for another follow up. I finally figured out the issue, when I installed the latest Microsoft Linux Integration Services it appears that broke the xRDP binaries. All I had to do is to reinstall the xRDP from the source and that resolved the issue. Now all my CentOS machines are working!  Power setting are working!

In regards to the link in your post about provisioning, I did not realize that I can do that, I've been manually cloning the VM's. I always though that was only for Windows since provisioning setting only appear to refer to the Windows options. I will definitely give it a try now. thanks for the help.

thanks

Dejan

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 16:00

Hi Sam, thanks for responding. I think that was very helpful. I've created a new Hyper-v Group, Traditional, and I've imported all the Linux machines. They are all powered on in the Management Console, but their logon state is set to "Offline" so I published them as managed application and when I tried connecting I get "There are no available computers to connect at this time..." message. For each desktop, in the log tab I'm getting two reoccurring messages:

Info: Offline computer: Virtualization Management Server didn't report a valid IP address for computer.

Warn: Virtualization Management Server reported no IP Address for computer. Setting remote computer to [Offline]

However, these machines do have a valid IP addresses and they are reporting as online in the Physical/Other group. They also have the latest qdcsvc service running and reporting successfully and I'm able to RDP to them. Any thoughts?

4 Posts

August 4th, 2015 09:00

Update:

I've made progress. I found out that CentOS 6.6 comes with Hyper-V Linux integration services 3.1. I've downloaded Hyper-V LIS 4.0 and installed it on the virtual machines and after the reboot, connection broker was successfully able to initialize and got the IP, memory etc. information from virtual machines. The only problem now is that when I publish these desktops, and I try to connected to them, I'm getting the error message: "There are no available computers to connect at this time ...". 

Also in the Management console of this group, "Logon state" column is set to "Not Ready"

Am I missing a setting somewhere or does this only work with Windows virtual machines? I would really like this working if possible. Any help is appreciated.

57 Posts

August 5th, 2015 10:00

Hi

I would recommend logging a support case so we can take a look at your environment.

Did you delete the original desktop group before creating the new one?

We have some detailed instructions on how to do this from scratch using provisioning rather than individually creating machines then adding them afterwards.

http://documents.software.dell.com/vworkspace-virtual-desktop-extensions/8.5/administration-guide/vworkspace-virtual-desktop-extensions-vde-for-linux/overview?ParentProduct=687

Click "next" to go through all sections.

I hope this helps, if not the support portal is here support.software.dell.com

Thanks,

Sam

No Events found!