Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 25th, 2018 06:00

Alpha R1, bad BIOS update

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me with a bad bios Flash.

System: Alienware Alpha Steam Machine i3 Model. Running Windows10.

Story: I decided to update the machine, so went to the Dell Website. I downloaded the auto scan app and ran it. I was given the option to install a new bios and a couple of driver so I clicked install. Nothing seemed to happen with the bios but the drivers downloaded and installed and asked to reboot the machine. I clicked  the restart button. The Assistant app closed and I then saw the Bios app running and was only part way through when the PC closed down :(

Now I can't boot the machine and a yellow skull was flashing yellow twice and then 3 times in a loop if I recall. I did a bios pin reset in the vain hope I would get lucky but still no luck. Now the Skull is just blue but it won't boot. I can't access the bios as it's probably become corrupt or wiped. 

Is there any rescue procedure I can do or is my machine destined for the trash?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 25th, 2018 14:00

2 Posts

July 26th, 2018 03:00

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my machine.

I think I'll have to strip it for parts at this point.

1 Message

September 18th, 2018 12:00

Hey @fireberd -- when I click on that link for the "Dell's policy on a corrupted BIOS update", it takes me to a page that says "Access Denied. You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

Can you paste a copy of it instead into the thread?

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2018 13:00

@wokky77777 wrote:

Hey @fireberd -- when I click on that link for the "Dell's policy on a corrupted BIOS update", it takes me to a page that says "Access Denied. You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

Does this one work ?

https://www.dell.com/community/Customer-Care-Wiki/Dell-Policy-BIOS-update-breaks-motherboard-CMOS/ta-p/6063959

No Events found!