Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

November 19th, 2020 18:00

AW3821DW, a few suggestions for updates

If it is possible to add via a firmware update there are a few things that would be nice to see on this monitor to make it better and more competitive with its LG contemporaries:

1) An sRGB emulation mode. Not everything looks good in wide gamut and many programs are not color managed. The ability to clamp the monitor to sRGB would be nice for that.

2) DSC to allow for full resolution 4:4:4 10-bit 144Hz support. It's not a big deal to drop to 120Hz, but it would be nice to not need to. Plus some games seem to automatically set the monitor to 144Hz in HDR, which then drops it to 8-bit.

3) More controls in different modes. It would be nice to have the RGB gains available in the Game 1/2/3 modes, not just in custom color. It would also be nice to have the 6-axis color controls available at the same time as the gain controls.

4) A gamma control. I know that dark stabilizer does this a bit, but it would be nice to be able to choose from a couple of different gammas. Maybe BT.1886, sRGB, 2, 2.2, and 2.4.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2020 07:00

4:4:4 10-bit 144Hz support requires Specific Quadro GPU and Gsync Monitor.

RGB/YUV444: 8bpc
YUV422/420: 8bpc

are the standards for HDMI and they too are not 144Hz

• GPU: G-Sync features require an Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost GPU or higher.
  • Driver: R340.52 or higher.
  • Operating System: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris.
  • System Requirement: Must support DisplayPort 1.2 directly from the GPU.

Gsync cannot be added via firmware its hardware and its specific.  It also requires displayport 1.2 or higher native to the GPU.

NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards have offered 10-bit per color out to a full screen Direct X surface since the Geforce 200 series GPUs.

Due to the way most applications use traditional Windows API functions to create the application UI and viewport display, this method is not used for professional applications such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop. These programs use OpenGL 10-bit per color buffers which require an NVIDIA Quadro GPU with DisplayPort connector. 10 bit refers to 10 bits per color channel and 30 bits per pixel. The distinctive feature of the Quadro and Firepro cards is their support for 10 bit per color output buffers, which PhotoShop requires. 

144hz is specific144hz is specificNot all monitors have Displayport 1.2 and GsyncNot all monitors have Displayport 1.2 and Gsync

2 Posts

November 20th, 2020 09:00

Ummm, that's not really correct.

10-bit 4:4:4 144Hz would require DSC for a display like this, not a Quadro. A GeForce is fully capable of handling it, however DisplayPort 1.4 is not without DSC. It has a maximum data rate of 25.8 GB/sec which is just under what would be needed to do 3480x1600 10-bit 4:4:4 144Hz. So the only solution would be DSC, Displayport Stream Compression, which would allow for it.

Also 10-bit color is not a professional only feature. When you are talking HDR screens, 10-bit is the assumed (minimum) bit depth and is required for DisplayHDR certification. Due to the wider colour space and dynamic range, the bits per channel needs to be higher to avoid quantization artifacts. Thus Windows, and consumer GeForce cards, fully support 10-bit colour.

Finally I'm not sure why you have a comment about adding Gsync to the display. It already has it. The AW3821DW is a Gsync ultimate monitor, it has a Gsync module onboard. My comment wasn't about adding Gsync, as not only is that not possible but the monitor already has it.

2 Posts

November 30th, 2020 08:00

@speedstep Not sure where you're getting your information from, but that conflates two things, both of which are incorrect.

"4:4:4 10-bit 144Hz support requires Specific Quadro GPU and Gsync Monitor."

4:4:4 10-bit 144Hz on DP 1.4 requires Display Screen Compression which is a near-lossless compression method to enable greater bandwidth support. It is available on all NVidia RTX 20** GPUs and newer. 

There is no 'Specific Quadro GPU' that is required for DSC and it doesn't require a GSync Monitor. It is a VESA DisplayPort standard.

What I'm not sure about is if DSC requires specific hardware within the DP 1.4 connection as the information is fairly thin on the ground. If it doesn't, then a firmware update will make it work. 

Best,

2 Posts

November 30th, 2020 08:00

Just bought this monitor under the assumption that it would come with DSC given that it's been a thing for a long while now. 

Should have checked, I know. But it is what it is.

I wholeheartedly support the request for DSC on this monitor.

1 Message

December 21st, 2020 08:00

hm i order it 19 Dec and now it is shipped,

but as sycraft now says it for sure needs srgb to show the right colors and of corse i will use it as both gaming and everything els as picture and so on, so if it is not possible to get srgb in firmware update i am thinking of refuse to recive the monitor when schenker delivers it and go for LG

and it seems impossible to find any alienware suport email adress, so i hope Dell can answer sycraf  below asap

and nr 1 most important but also 2-4 vould also be important

so Dell please answer if below will come in firmware update

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 21st, 2020 09:00

Linking this thread with the same topic and to note the Nvidia update to add color accuracy mode via the nvidia control panel:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/AW3821DW-SRGB-mode/m-p/7766123#M37415

4 Posts

January 27th, 2021 04:00

I would really love to have "Auto Input" switch if the selected one is not present. It's a pin to go on the menu to switch input every time I disconnect my macbook from hdmi and want to go to my PC on display port.
No Events found!