Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2022 09:00

Aurora R10, login problem, BIOS 2.2.4

Alienware Aurora R10, Win 10 Home, 8 Gb RAM, Warranty expires in a few days. The Dell support assist app suggested system board drivers and BIOS should be updated earlier today. Thankfully, I did them one at a time.

Board drivers installed apparently cleanly and I restarted when prompted without a problem. Re-ran Support Assist and it reported that the BIOS was the only outstanding upgrade. I was on 2.1.2 and the suggested upgrade was to 2.2.4, which was dated sometime in mid-December. I fired off the upgrade, watched the system restart, then left the room for a while.

When I got back, the normal start screen was there with date and time and the same the Microsoft "rocky cave at the beach" picture. I clicked with the mouse to bring up the PIN prompt and saw this message: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change in the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again.". If I click the 'Set up my PIN' prompt, the system thinks for a while, then quickly shows a blank dialog box with 'Microsoft Account' in the title bar, before taking me back to the same message. There's no option for another login method and a reboot gets me back to exactly the same position.

I've Googled the issue and tried to restart the machine in Safe Mode, but I just end up with the same login screen and message, with no option to login using password. In desperation, I've rolled back the last features update and the last quality update, even though they're related to the OS and it appears that the BIOS upgrade - a hardware feature - was the culprit. As I expected, they haven't changed the situation.

I came to this site and saw some references to problems arising from earlier BIOS upgrades and wished I'd come here first, (why is hindsight always such a wonderful pointed thing?).

So now I'm hoping for suggestions for a fix or a method of downgrading the BIOS back to 2.1.2. I'll keep looking for help with the latter, but if anyone has had similatr problems and knows of a fix or workaround that would enable me to login to my machie again, , I'd be grateful to hear.

I'll try the Dell helpdesk, too, as my warranty still has a few days to run. Can't hurt, I guess...

Steve

January 12th, 2022 09:00

After several tests and false starts, I finally opted for a Windows OS reset, keeping my files.  This appeared to work.  

When I first saw the login screen after the reset, it had the same message about my PIN being unavailable. This time, however, the option to reset my PIN worked and I was able to create a fresh one.

I've now logged in and am beginning the painful task of re-installing and configuring my apps.

Whether the problem lies with Dell or Microsoft, I still think it's unacceptable that such an apparently mundane change should lead to this problem and solution.

Thank you to all who read and responded.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

This happens when with a BIOS upgrade, I had that happen a few times. You should be able to log in with your Microsoft account. and setup a new PIN. You need to make sure you are online for this to work.

I have made a local system account for myself just to avoid this issue.

Thanks for your suggestion, Vanadiel.  I understand what I need to do, but, unfortunately, I have no way to select any other login option.  The supplied "Set Up My Pin" option fails as described and I don't have a prompt for 'Sign-in Options' that would allow me to enter my MS account details.

Steve

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Look below the PIN text box. 

• If you see I forgot my PIN, select it and follow the instructions to reset your PIN. If there are multiple accounts on the device, choose the one you need to reset.

• If you don't see I forgot my PIN, select Sign-in options and then select Enter your password.

January 10th, 2022 10:00

Thank again, Vanadiel, but as I mentioned above, I only have the "Set up my PIN" option, which doesn't work.  I don't have the "I forgot my PIN" option, nor do I have the 'Sign-in options" prompt.Alien Login Problem.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 10th, 2022 11:00

@SteveTetch2 wrote:

I fired off the upgrade, watched the system restart, then left the room for a while.

When I got back, the normal start screen was there with date and time and the same the Microsoft "rocky cave at the beach" picture. I clicked with the mouse to bring up the PIN prompt and saw this message: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change in the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again.".

Something similar happened to us once (while the Aurora-R6 was still fairly new).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/td-p/6063705

It was only that once. Machine uses Local Account with Dell Factory software-load.

I figured it was either a Windows-10 glitch or more likely, the way Dell provisions these machines.

I've never really trusted Microsoft's "Roll-back" feature. And if PC is Posting, Back-Flashing your BIOS is usually a bad idea (due to version dependencies). Finally, I've know of people getting locked-out of their machines, jacking-around with their Logins (while machine is acting up).

In your case, if I didn't have a current Macrium Reflect Full-System Image, I would create one. If I did, I would run a Differential real quick to catch-up.

Then, I would trying going FORWARD with fixes (not backwards).

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 10th, 2022 21:00

And if that does not work, try the safe boot mode: Windows PIN issues 

I have recovered from this in the past, but I remember one time the Windows Live service was experiencing login issues and I could not log into my Microsoft Account. Ever since then I made sure I always have a local account as a backup, because if your internet connection goes down, your Windows login/PIN will not work either.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 10th, 2022 21:00

You could try CTRL-ALT-DELETE at the login screen, see if the popup menu will let you change users.

If it does, you can try your Microsoft account login that should be linked to your original PIN.

1 Rookie

• 

132 Posts

January 10th, 2022 22:00

I had no luck going back to BIOS 2.1.3 from 2.2.1 when that update broke my machine. Tried all the options. There are some BIOS versions that cannot be downgraded from. It says for Security Reasons. 
2.2.4 was not available to me at the time, but 2.2.2 also failed to solve the issue. Motherboard replacement was the only fix.

January 11th, 2022 04:00

The suggestion from Dell tech support via private message is to downgrade the BIOS.  They've included a link to the correct download page, but the knowlegebase article that describes the downgrade process includes many cautions and caveats about the whole process.  I'll confirm that's the only available option before I do anything.

I have to say that I'm somewhat annoyed at the fragility of a system that can be buggered (technical term) so easily in this way simply by applying a BIOS update that was recommended by the manufacturer's own maintenance application, which also managed the installation of the update!

I haven't faced this issue on any other manufacturer's PCs I've used in over 30 years.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 11th, 2022 05:00

It's actually a Microsoft thing. They want to make sure that for security reasons you cannot move a drive over from one system to another with the same PIN.

The BIOS update will reset some information that leads the OS to believe it's connected to a different motherboard, and requires a new PIN.

I agree it is highly annoying, and the reason why it is a good idea to always create a local Administrator account so you can log into windows with a regular user name and password as opposed to a PIN or any online only login options.

I am not sure why it does not allow you to log in with your Microsoft Account. Maybe it's something with the Windows Home version.

163 Posts

January 12th, 2022 10:00

That's why when initially setting up Windows disconnect the internet and go for a local account!

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 12th, 2022 10:00

I would suggest to add a local account to windows, for any future recovery, as this will likely happen again should you update the bios in the future.

Local Windows 10 Account Creation 

No Events found!