Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

March 5th, 2021 11:00

Aurora R10, no overclocking in AWCC

I just got an Aurora R10 with a Ryzen 3700X and 16GB of 2933mhz RAM, and I'm not able to get any overclocking options in Command Center. The advanced tabs are not there for either CPU or memory. I checked the BIOS menu and overclocking is set to "enabled". I have every update installed through Alienware Update and the latest bios version and I've already tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling CC. Nothing has worked so far. Is the R10 not able to be overclocked from Command Center?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

March 5th, 2021 11:00

Mine came the same way. Only OC setting is for the video card.

I never figured it out either, but from reading postings on here it sounds like bios overclocking was removed at some point as part of a bios upgrade. It's not clear what the reason would be, or if this is correct, since mine never had that option and you cannot downgrade the bios pre 1.0.7 I believe, as that option is blocked by Dell.

So I cannot test the bios removal theory, but going by the fact there's no OC present in the bios or Command Center, I am going to go with that it has been removed until someone can prove me wrong.

The only option to OC the CPU on the R10 at this point in time would be Ryzen Master, and that does work. However, you would have to manually load the OC after each windows restart because Ryzen Master does not allow automatic loading of settings during windows boot up.

You can OC the memory in the bios by switching to manual profile instead of XMP profile, but all the settings are recorded in hex instead of decimal. So 18 in your bios is actually 24 for a manual timing parameter. Don't ask me why they made the decision to do this in hex, since memory timings are always quoted in decimal by any manufacturer of memory I know off.

I have not found any other way of doing an OC on the R10. You are likely just as disappointed as me that gaming machine that costs a good chunk of money does not have any OC options available for the CPU in the bios or under a windows utility that is capable of retaining settings between a reboot.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 5th, 2021 12:00

Did you guys try installing the OC Control tab for AWCC? 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

March 5th, 2021 15:00

Yes, no tabs. Never had tabs.

Vanadiel_0-1614985409201.png

35 Posts

March 6th, 2021 06:00

Can you confirm the version of the BIOS that you have?

The only reason being is the latest BIOS Update 2.1.1 comes with note:

"Enhanced the AMD Ryzen 5000 series processor overclocking feature to support the Alienware OC Controls application"

If that checks out, redownload Alienware OC controls and Alienware Command Center from support.dell.com instead of from Support Assist or other tools

Uninstall Alienware OC Controls and run repair on Alienware Command Center

Reboot computer and retry Alienware Command Center

6 Posts

March 6th, 2021 10:00

I have 2.1.1 and I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling both AWCC and OC Controls from the installers on support.dell.com. From what I can tell, overclocking just isn't enabled for the 3000 series Ryzens. Can somebody from Dell please confirm this?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

March 6th, 2021 12:00

I can confirm it is exactly the same situation on my 3700X. No OC tabs on AWC for memory or CPU, just for video card. It was like that from factory install, updated everything to latest version.

There's also no OC for cpu in the bios. Only memory.

41 Posts

March 6th, 2021 14:00

Dell doesn't offer overclocking on several Ryzen processors but they don't tell you which ones. Your 3700X is one and I know that the 3900, non-x is another that you can't OC in AWCC. There is a way to tell which ones can and can't. 

In the AWCC installation folder, there is a file in the OC control folder called "Profiles.zip". If you unzip it and look at the folder matching your processor, you can look in the Config.json file and see if there are any OC profiles. (Hint, if the file size is 1kb there are no OC profiles in it)

You can, however, OC via Ryzen Master.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

March 6th, 2021 15:00

Well, why would they not tell you which ones and which ones not.

Sounds rather dumb to me, unless there's a technical reason for it.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

So going by what you said, no OC tabs for AWC for any R10 machine:

Vanadiel_0-1615071962290.png

41 Posts

@Vanadiel  Correct, you can't OC in AWCC with your processor. At least it still works in Ryzen Master, even if it is a pain in the neck because you have to load your profile every time you boot/reboot.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Dug around in the overclocking logs for AWC. Good thing it makes logs. Makes sense from those logs only the video card is supported for overclocking. Both CPU and Memory are flagged as "overclockable": false.

At least the OC on the processor is a lie, because the 3700X is unlocked and overclockable by factory default. You can even use Ryzen master and overclock it, so it's not that the board does not support it. It just seems that Dell decided to disable that feature...

"manufacturer":"AuthenticAMD","max_frequency":4.4,"name":"AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor","num_cores":8,"num_enabled_core":8,"num_logical_processors":16,"overclockable":false,"ryzen_pbo_supported":true,"tunable":false,"

"name":"GeForce RTX 3080","num_cores":8704,"overclockable":true,"power_limit_step":1,"thermal_limit_step":1}],"manufacturer":"Alienware","max_profiles":11,

"memory_overclockable":false,"name":"Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition","num_memory_profiles":0,"service_version":1313,"xmps":[{"frequency":2667,"tCL":19,"tRAS":43,"tRCD":19,"tRP":19,"voltage":1.2},{"frequency":2932,"tCL":19,"tRAS":47,"tRCD":19,"tRP":19,"voltage":1.25},{"frequency":3200,"tCL":20,"tRAS":52,"tRCD":20,"tRP":20,"voltage":1.25}]}

163 Posts

March 7th, 2021 05:00

You really don't need to OC the Ryzen - just set on PBO and let it boost when it needs

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

March 7th, 2021 10:00

I would, if I could. But I have not seen anything in the bios to set it to PBO.

It also depends on what your application is. Running Cinebench will drop the CPU clock down to around 4050- 4075 Mhz within the first 15 seconds. I can use Ryzen master and set it to 4150 Mhz and it will stay at 4150 Mhz, giving me a better result even for 1 run.

Any application that uses your full CPU power for extended times you are better off locking the frequency to a stable value, like you would in traditional overclocking.

Any application that uses varying CPU power, you are likely better off letting the CPU boost up and down as needed, as it can reach higher peak speeds of up to 4350 Mhz for short bursts.

You would need to chart the CPU load and corresponding core frequencies to figure out which scenario would give you the best CPU performance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 7th, 2021 10:00

XMP OC requires dual channel 3200 or faster XMP Certified RAM and Specific CPUS AND CHIPSETS dual channel XMP 3200 CAS 16 ram is not optional

https://www.jedec.org/content/pc4-2666-unbuffered-dimm-2

3900x & Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX4M2B3200C16  for example

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ryzen-2000-series-and-higher

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

JEDEC TIMING IS NOT OVERCLOCK CERTIFIED

OVERCLOCKING can damage ram and cpu and therefore you do so at your own risk. Neither Dell nor Intel nor AMD will warranty overclocked ram or processors.

RAM CPU AND CHIPSET MUST ALL SUPPORT OVERCLOCKRAM CPU AND CHIPSET MUST ALL SUPPORT OVERCLOCK

JEDEC TIMING IS NOT XMPJEDEC TIMING IS NOT XMP

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

March 7th, 2021 11:00

And to top it off, they advertise overclocking with said utility on their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEt4clM_UY4&ab_channel=Alienware

It starts around the 14:00 minute mark, where they show you how to use it and test for stability. Will be hard to hide behind warranty if you follow their own video instructions and damage your system.

I am pretty sure that is their official Youtube channel...

No Events found!