Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2020 13:00

Aurora R11, BIOS password wrong?

So I set a BIOS password when I first got my R11 *desktop* and I recorded it in my password program. I was able to update my BIOS to 1.0.1 shortly thereafter using that password. Now I'm trying to upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3, but I'm being told my BIOS password is incorrect. It's odd that it worked going from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 but now it's the wrong password!

So I guess I have to reset the BIOS password. I think there's a jumper on the motherboard, but I'm not seeing instructions on how to use it. I don't want to erase all my settings or mess up my TPM which is holding my BitLocker keys.

Can someone explain the correct procedure to avoid making a mess, please? *OR* if you know of something that might have happened during the first upgrade that could have altered the BIOS password I set originally?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2020 15:00

password.pngHere's the process: 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

When you clear CMOS, you move the jumper over 2 pins to the center, instead of just removing it. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Yes, there's a password reset jumper on the motherboard: PW_CLR

This is different from the jumper you use to clear CMOS, or the selection in the bios menu to reset to default.  It won't clear your other settings. 

47 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 17:00

I believe this clears ONLY the BIOS password and no settings, correct?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2020 17:00

Yes, boot without the jumper and the password feature is disabled and that means the password is reset when the jumper is added back for normal use.  That's all it does.

47 Posts

December 4th, 2020 05:00

Thanks very much.  I'll try it this weekend and post back here.

47 Posts

December 4th, 2020 10:00

This was easy, thanks!

No Events found!