Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

January 22nd, 2021 11:00

Aurora R11, High CPU Temps

Hi, I have an i9 R11 with stock liquid cooling. Heat sinks. 2080 Ti graphics. 3 months old. Fans were ridiculously high and couldn't hear myself think with the thing running. Switched out the front and top fans for a Corsair 120. Got the error whenever I booted the thing up. Finally checked the CPU temps because I'm new to this and it runs at 70c at idle with NOTHING running. MSFS 2020 makes it run at 100c constantly. Cyber Punk 2077 runs at 100c. I didn't get the "Pro" version of the fans so I switched out the fans for the Corsair pros. No change. Quieter but still crazy hot. Stuck one of the original Corsair fans in the top in a push/pull configuration. No change. It's sitting there right now with nothing running and its dropped down to 66c where it will stay until I try to run a game and it will jump up to 100c. P3d v5 runs at 93c. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 05:00

Hi @pjmcc and welcome

What are the fan speeds in AWCC and check the pump speed with HWINFO.

Which AWCC Thermal profile are you using?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2021 07:00

Also did you check to confirm you have an alien head AIO block and not a heatsink on the CPU and the pump is running and not making weird eg gurgling noises?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2021 07:00

If the cpu is not being utilized ad idling at a low frequency but the temps are in the 60s or 70s with liquid cooling, the cold plate may not be fulling connecting with the ihs.  That would require a repaste to fix if it were the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 10:00

I was getting curious

The ML 120 pro fans cut if they exceed their max speed between 2400 and 2600 on R8.

Not the same system, but @r72019 is right to say 70+ is not normal at all and maybe needs a repaste.

I think you are staying on a high thermal profile and consequently you have cut your top fan as you said "Fans were ridiculously high and couldn't hear myself think with the thing running".

Maybe needs checking before undoing a possible good paste 

1 Message

April 13th, 2021 14:00

Found any solutions? I'm having the EXACT same issue. Followed this tutorial to change the fans, since the stock ones were making a crazy noise; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkVNcTXcpAo

And now running at 70c at idle...

I'll try to repaste and see...

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

April 13th, 2021 20:00

Did it always run at 70 idle, or is this a new thing that just started happening?

1 Message

August 3rd, 2021 07:00

I'm in the same situation. My top fan runs at 55% and my CPU temp is 100° during the first 5 minutes after Windows boots, without any specific process running high or occupying thread (per Task Manager). Then, it's slowly come down around 70 to 80 degrees with top fan speed below 35% (front fan below 15%). All numbers from Alienware Command Center Fusion.

Quiet situation :

• CPU Temp : 70° to 80° (or less), CPU Usage 3%
  • Top Fan : 1100 rpm / 25%
  • Front Fan : 510 rpm / 10%

Loud situation

• CPU Temp : 90° to 100°, CPU Usage from 6% to a lot (obviously when running video rendering or MSFS)
  • Top Fan : 2300 rpm / 55%
  • Front Fan : 800 rpm / 20%

All stock fans were replaced by ML120 Pro. Intel i7-10700F + Aurora Dell stock AIO repasted several time. 

• AIO Block has an Alienware face
  • The pump doesn't make weird noise

When running MSFS, it's mostly 90 to 100° CPU temp.

Would love to know how I can make more silent...

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2021 07:00

Something is not right, because you should not reach 100 Celsius with liquid cooling.

100 Celsius is the maximum Tjunction temperature for the 10700F. If you reach that the CPU will throttle, lowering performance to stay within the maximum allowable Tjunction temperature.

I am thinking your fan speed is slow, not providing enough cooling. The original fans are a much higher RPM, and I am thinking AWCC is not liking your new fans.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2021 08:00

@vbazillio wrote:

my CPU temp is 100° during the first 5 minutes after Windows boots

When running MSFS, it's mostly 90 to 100° CPU temp.

Would love to know how I can make more silent...

Yeah, to be honest if everything is installed correctly the issue isn't too much noise, it's too little noise.  You run a risk of permanent damage and shortened life expectancy if the CPU is consistently running at 100* C. 

Some thoughts: 

When you repasted, did you remove all the old paste? 

Are you sure the AIO block has a solid, flat connection to the IHS? 

Did you visually confirm the fans are turning, and that they are blowing in opposite directions?  Top fan out, and front fan in? 

2 Intern

• 

676 Posts

August 3rd, 2021 19:00

I’m just not convinced on changing out the fans yet on my R11. I play DCS in VR / HP G2 and when I switch to 2D monitor I wear headphones AW510H 

The stock fans move more air as I learned in here. I use the AWCC thermal offset settings in manual mode and set my top fan around 48% and front fan around 46%. I have no thermal issues or throttling with so ever in DCS. Actually the sounds of the fans is music to my ear. If you play without a headset … I understand. But for now I’m sticking with the stock fans. Maybe try the manual thermal offset setting with your ML’s on high and set a game profile for msfs so when you start your sim the fans will get to work. Also no such thing of a silent gaming rig not unless you distance your rig from your playing area. I see a lot of people put the pc right next to the monitor that’s crazy! My 2 cents.

August 4th, 2021 07:00

Are you overclocking the CPU, or leaving it at the base 3.7GHz speed?

I have an R11 / i9 (10900KF) / liquid cooling that I've always left at the base speed.  Temperatures have never exceeded 70c.  Then I saw your thread and decided to overclock it and try 3DMark's CPU benchmark.  Sure enough, it pegged at 100c and then throttled back.  I still have all the stock fans in place.  The only thing I've done to the inside is remove all the unused drive sleds and power cables.

Anyway, now I'm thinking about repasting and trying the test again.

4 Posts

September 18th, 2021 01:00

Hi AllDayBreakfast84 hi have your same processor i910900KF in a r11. I have replaced my fans with corsair ML120 pro because my cpu runs hotter when gaming (75 to 85 degree with 95+ spyke) and the noise was a lot and now its quite better but my degrees are the same. The problem is that my processor its auto overclocked, run always at 4.9 ghz. I have disabled overclocking feature from bios but i think the problem is the turbo boost technology on Intel processor. How did you set your processor run at base clock of 3.7 ghz??

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 18th, 2021 02:00

The Dell 7M0F5 fans are 4000 RPM fans. Corsair ML120's are a lot slower.

ML120 PRO Specification

Dimensions (mm): 120 x 120 x 25
Rated Voltage – Fan: 12 VDC
Rated Voltage – RGB LEDs: 5 VDC
Operating Voltage – Fan: 10.8 V – 13.2 V
Startup Voltage – Fan: 5 V
Rated Current – Fan: 0.072 A
Rated Current - RGB LEDs: 0.2 A
Speed (rpm): 400-1600 +/- 10%

This is FAN Error Issue because the Dell fans can reach 4000 RPM.
Airflow (@ rated speed): 47.3 CFM
Static Pressure: 1.78 mm-H2O
Sound Level: 25 dBA
Connection Cable: 4-pin
PWM Control: Yes
Bearing Type: Magnetic Levitation
Cable Length - Fan (mm): 600
Cable Length - RGB LEDs (mm): 600

4 Posts

September 18th, 2021 04:00

I think its not the problem, because the temps are the same after the fans change

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

September 18th, 2021 10:00

The temperatures in the short run are mostly determined by the liquid temperature. In the long run the airflow produced by the fan will start to matter, but it will always find an equilibrium if there's is enough liquid volume.

Faster fans do not always offer better cooling for an liquid cooled system. It actually performs less if you blow to much air on the rad, because the air has to make contact for a certain amount of time to absorb the heat from the rad.

Ideally you want that contact time between air and rad to be the time it takes for the air to absorb the heat from the rad and be exactly the same temperature as the rad. That would provide the best cooling capacity.

Too slow and it will not absorb heat all the time, too fast and it will not have enough time to absorb heat.

To see a difference with the temperature you will need a 240 AIO, that has double the rad area, double the amount of liquid.

No Events found!