Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2020 18:00

Aurora R11, RTX 3080 capacitor concerns, #2 thread

Hi everyone,

I received my Alienware Aurora R11 with the RTX 3080. 

After 30 minutes of gaming, my screen starts flickering and after 10s my screen is black and I have no choice to turn it off and back on. I have done all the updates: windows update, Alienware update and MS store.

I tried to restore it as new and same problem. I noticed that if I let my computer rest for 30 minutes it would work again for around 30 minutes of gaming and then same problem... I would guess my GPU has a high temperature problem but when I was monitoring with MSI Afterburner, it was around 65 degrees C. 

I tried to replace the GPU with a GTX 1080 and everything works fine. I called the customer service and it seems that my GPU is not working properly... They are sending me a new one.

Anyone has experienced the same issue?

Before the 30 minutes I was able to run a benchmark and my previous PC got a better score 

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 9.02.29 PM.png

6 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 21:00

I have the same problems. No help from Dell.

6 Posts

I have this same problem and the Dell-Cares said I had to pay for support because they deem it a OS problem.

6 Posts

Alienware was great. Then Dell bought them.

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 24th, 2021 01:00

I see also a lot of complaints over this 3080 thing however all those happy customers hardly post, right? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2021 01:00

Where did you get it for the same price? In fact, in recent years, Dell support has been driving away many customers. They had an exceptional commercial and technical service.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2021 05:00

My brother has the exact same model as I do ( R11 / RTX 3080 / 32 GB / 10900 KF ) and its doing fine.

Reported that his machine passed the Video Card Stress Test with no failures . 

Tech has advised it's going to be Jan 31st before the replacement 3080 card may be available .

Dell doesn't prioritize repairs over production 

For instance if I had of ordered a new unit the day my new one failed it would already be here .

Each time I've called Tech support the date gets moved further into the future .

Oh well 

February 5th, 2021 21:00

Hey everyone. Unfortunately I just got a new R11 with RTX 3080 and I am having the SAME issues described in this thread and it's getting worse. It'll flicker, I'll get some checkered blocks, then the screen goes black and I'm forced to restart. I am so sad. What is the conclusion here? Tech support is a waste of time? I was on the phone with them and all they had me to do was reinstall the drivers as well as the command center but it did not help. What is the fix?

Please help.

February 10th, 2021 09:00

There is no fix but a replacement of the card. I refunded the computer and build myself a new one.

Only thing that it is missing is a 3080 since they are very hard to get.

1 Message

February 12th, 2021 12:00

I just exchanged an R11 Aurora that had this same issue with the Nvidia 3080 graphics card (every 3-D application like games crash the GPU almost immediately).  The first machine was delivered 2/5/2021.  Hopefully next machine will have a card with the correct capacitor setup or I will be cancelling this order completely.  Very disappointing, especially since this machine was supposedly produced after the problem with the 3080s was identified and the fixed cards should have been available.   This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to avoid by purchasing a pre-built gaming machine... 

3 Posts

February 13th, 2021 12:00

I also just received my R11 w/3080 and seeing the same issues.  Reinstalled the OS, drivers, eveything multiple times and still get the flicker/black screen/total lockup. Disappointing.

February 21st, 2021 14:00

wow that's a lot of people.

So an update for you guys. They've ordered me another GPU but it's delayed. Of course right? They MIGHT recieve it this month and a tech will come out to replace it with a "good batch" of 3080's. So frustrating.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 08:00

I'm in the same boat - received an r11 two weeks ago and submitted my RMA/service request for the RTX 3080 last week.  First day I thought I lucked out as it said ETA of next day, then the next day it was the day after, and so on.  Finally had it "escalated" with Support and they tossed a date of Feb 28 on it.  So I really have no idea when it will actually ship/arrive.

All the while, of course, I have a gaming PC without a video card...

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 11:00

Update to my previous post... 
Date changed to 3/1 today.  So it will seemingly push day by day, just staying two weeks out from here on.  Lol.

February 22nd, 2021 13:00

Hi Everyone, just adding my own, similar, experience to this thread. I have an R11 with the Dell RTX3080 and though the machine worked ok for about 2 weeks I then had a recurring black screen issue playing any game. The screen would go black for a moment then return me to a frozen view of the game but with distorted colours for about 2 minutes before then either go black but keep running or go black and automatically restart. I've been through quite a bit of troubleshooting with Dell support (I have to say, their email support tried their best to get to the root of the issue without sending an engineer) but I'm now waiting for the replacement GPU too. I was due a technician today but they called me to say there was a delay obtaining parts (coming to the UK from the Netherlands) and it will probably be another 6 days.

I could reproduce the issue down to the exact minute (6 minutes into a game of Total War) and every time the windows reliability monitor/event viewer logs it as a critical event: Hardware error - LiveKernelEvent Code 117 and/or 141. I could reproduce the issue much faster (within about 10 seconds) running Heaven DX11 benchmark. 

I'd be really interested to see if you guys with black screen issues are seeing the same error?

I can't fault their tech support (yet) but it's a real disappointment because I went for the more expensive pre-build option rather than building my own system to avoid all the tinkering hassle. Fingers crossed the GPU that has been dispatched is from a 'corrected' batch. 

February 23rd, 2021 05:00

Alienware RTX 308020201123_080915.jpg

No Events found!