Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2020 18:00

Aurora R11, RTX 3080 capacitor concerns, #2 thread

Hi everyone,

I received my Alienware Aurora R11 with the RTX 3080. 

After 30 minutes of gaming, my screen starts flickering and after 10s my screen is black and I have no choice to turn it off and back on. I have done all the updates: windows update, Alienware update and MS store.

I tried to restore it as new and same problem. I noticed that if I let my computer rest for 30 minutes it would work again for around 30 minutes of gaming and then same problem... I would guess my GPU has a high temperature problem but when I was monitoring with MSI Afterburner, it was around 65 degrees C. 

I tried to replace the GPU with a GTX 1080 and everything works fine. I called the customer service and it seems that my GPU is not working properly... They are sending me a new one.

Anyone has experienced the same issue?

Before the 30 minutes I was able to run a benchmark and my previous PC got a better score 

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 9.02.29 PM.png

February 25th, 2021 08:00

Replacement card delayed and won't ship until Mar 7

March 1st, 2021 15:00

Yep same exact issue mine has. Couldn't have explained it better myself. It's a bit different every time. Sometimes it flashes, sometimes colored blocks, but always crash. It worked fine for 2 weeks also, I was ecstatic.

My card keeps getting delayed and it also feels like they're throwing out random dates at this point and blaming the weather. 

Last ETA they gave me was last Friday, haha. This has been awful.

March 2nd, 2021 06:00

I have the 3090 and am experiencing the same problem.  When I turn G-sync off it improves, but doesn't go away.  I am not overclocking.  It is worst when I am in Zoom meetings, not games, and crashes the meeting and ultimately crashes the computer.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2021 09:00

Air or liquid cooling?

March 2nd, 2021 11:00

You might be asking about the 3090 that was mentioned by another user but in my case, it's a liquid-cooled CPU and the 3080 card has two fans.

The replacement card arrived and was fitted by engineer today. So far so good and no black screens yet. Fingers crossed this has resolved the issue.

March 8th, 2021 19:00

Update for you guys. Tech came and installed a new card. SO FAR SO GOOD.

112 Posts

March 8th, 2021 19:00

But if it is a capacitor issue as the thread title suggests, will a replacement card of the same design matter?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 8th, 2021 21:00

I guess you don't remember the thermal pad issues with pascal based cards

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-evga-catches-fire-video/

https://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

1 Rookie

• 

66 Posts

March 9th, 2021 00:00

Anyway to replicate this issue fast? I am curious whether i have it or not, i got delivery of my R11 RTX 3080 around end of November 2020 and haven't noticed any video issues but i also haven't been playing long gaming sessions maybe an hour at most here or there (GTA V, Cyberpunk, Battlefield V) all maxed out.

31 Posts

March 9th, 2021 06:00

Same problem here. Ordered mine on 27.11.20, got it on 15.01.21 and had this problem from day 1. Lost a few  days trying to fix it without success. Then I got in touch with tech support which proposed me either a repair or a new machine. Since I wasn't sure that the problem was the graphics card I decided to get a new machine. Got an offer on 01.02.21 for a R10 with 5800x since in EU the R11 is no longer available (they're probably reworking it) and accepted it the same day. Expected delivery was initially planned on 23.02 then got delayed and moved to 25.03.

So basically I bought it on 27.11.20 and as of now I still have no PC and the new order is stuck on "confirmed" so not yet in production. Besides that, also a lot of time wasted to make it work. Not to mention the tech support can be a nightmare since each time I called I got a different answer. I had to call 4 times until I got in touch with an agent who finally recognized the problem and opened the exchange request. Besides that also a lot of misinformation as well (e.g. the agent also told me multiple times that I would have received the new machine within 5-7 days).

In a nutshell: the worst customer experience I've ever had in my whole life.

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

March 9th, 2021 11:00

@Redd_Army_of_One 

Thanks for the picture.

The capacitor design seems to be the same as 3rd party manufacturers, it would be interesting to know the date you received this Dell OEM RTX 3080? and also does it work?

March 9th, 2021 11:00

@dboyrusky I think if you've been playing this long (and maxed out settings) you'll be ok. Now I have the replacement card, aside from correcting the black screen issues, it's also clear the performance has dramatically improved even when running games that aren't particularly GPU intensive.

If you're still curious, download the 'heaven' benchmark, run in DX11 mode with ultra/Extreme settings, x8 anti-aliasing, highest resolution your monitor supports and start the benchmark. If you make it further than 1 minute or complete the benchmark you're more than likely fine as mine crashed about 20 seconds in.

March 9th, 2021 12:00

I put my order in towards the end of Oct2020, got it in Nov2020.  I have it on a fake 4k TV(3840x2160) at 60hz.  It has done well with every game I've played.  I did have to turn on v-sync to make the tearing go away in some games.

March 9th, 2021 13:00

I got mine in the same time frame and use it much like you do. My kids get an hour a day to game, so it might get 3 hours a day use.

1 Rookie

• 

363 Posts

March 24th, 2021 09:00

Re: issues with RTX3070. I have one and been using it for over a month with no problem (fingers crossed). My PC is on pretty much non-stop and I've run GPU-intensive applications (flight simulator) for 6-7 hours straight sometimes (long-haul flights) without issue. Out of the box, GPU temps would go into mid 80s, but after slightly undervolting the GPU, they stay between 65-75 even after many hours of running the sim.

No Events found!