Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R11, no video out of the box!

So my new Aurora R11 Core i7-10700 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 arrived this afternoon, ordered June 6.  I connect power, mouse, keyboard, and HDMI cable run to my 4K monitor.  Press power and the front panel lights up blue.  But no video at all, nor any beeps or flashing lights.  So I unplug the HDMI cable from my old Dell computer and try that one.  Still no video.  Then I connect via DVI-D cable to an older Dell monitor (that I'm using daily) and still no video at all.  The mouse lights up, the keyboard responds to NumLock and CapsLock, and I can see the hard drive light (not so conveniently located on the *back* of the computer) flickering/flashing at times.

I reached a support person.  She asks me a very few basic questions.  I explain all of the above.  Then she asks me to connect the video cable to the motherboard rather than the video card.  Ummm, but there's no such connector that I can find.  I looked at the back of the computer and also the picture in the manual.  I'm put on hold for a while so she can look at the manual.  She then asks me to take a picture of the back.  I was already irritated and I simply asked her to tell me the location of this other connector.  I also looked at the manual and it's not listed there.  Even if I couldn't recognize it somehow on the back, surely it would appear in the manual?

Then she asked me to take a video card out of my old computer and try that.  Sorry, I'm not doing that.  I told her if Dell wants to ship me another video card to test, I'd swap it out.  She said she can't send a video card.  According to her, my only recourse now is to take my brand new computer to a repair facility, drop it off, and supposedly let them replace the motherboard.

Sorry, but I've seen enough Dell techs coming through my office, mostly working without static protection, sometimes doing things I'd never do if I were repairing a computer....  Swapping a video card to me is fine, but I'm just not eager to start with a new repaired computer especially when I can't watch the repair.  I bought a Dell because I chose NOT to build my own this time.

So I'm not sure how to get Dell to be more interested in my case.  I've been a supporter of Dell for over 20 years.  I recommend them to friends and at work.  But I'm about to ship this thing back and go buy an HP from Best Buy.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 18:00

@BGood2    But I'm about to ship this thing back and go buy an HP from Best Buy.

Before you do that, try opening up the computer and insuring that the graphics card in fully seated and locked in place.  Sometimes the shake loose in transport. Also, consider posting some photos of the inside and back of your computer.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

June 30th, 2020 20:00

Stuff could have come loose during shipment.  Check for loose cables in the PC and try dropping the GPU to the lower x8 slot on the bottom of the motherboard. While you have the PC open and everything unplugged, push and hold the power button, then remove the CR2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard and reinstall after a couple minutes. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 22:00

@r72019  

Their Core i7-10700 CPU comes with Intel UHD Graphics 630, but the Aurora R11 has no ports for that functionality 

They only ordered half a video card, which comes with no support bracket. So there is a chance it rattled loose.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

July 1st, 2020 00:00

Yeah, the card is tiny. Best to check that it's still plugged in properly.

@Sarasva on how to remove that one rear release hatch screw.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 19:00

@speedstep   Take video card out and attach to onboard HDMI.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/alienware-aurora-r11-desktop/alienware-aurora-r11-setu...

I am not seeing any onboard HDMI in that link?

image.png

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

USB-C to HDMI might be an option but im not sure about that.

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung-Surface/dp/B082FKRBQS/

I would get an RMA and return the unit as DOA and get my money back.

No standard video hereNo standard video here

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

That model does not have any oboard HDMI video that I can see.

I edited my post after I found that.

There is 1 HDMI and DVI-D on the video cardThere is 1 HDMI and DVI-D on the video card

July 1st, 2020 07:00

How long did it take to ship from when you ordered it

47 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 12:00

The information I've seen says the USB-C is not for video, so I'm not sure your idea would work.

47 Posts

Ordered on 6/6.  "Shipped" on 6/26, but that really meant just printing the label.  It was picked up by FedEx on 6/29.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@BGood2   

If you don't mind sharing . . . post some photos of the inside of your rig.  Not many have seen an actual R11 inside except for the Dell marketing images.

47 Posts

Once I got past my annoyed mood, I opened up the case.  The video card seemed to be properly seated and its fan was working.  Nonetheless, I removed it completely.  I then powered the system on to see if there were any beeps or flashing lights due to having no video card.  There was no indication of a problem.  Once I put the card back, I had video!  And I've run through the Dell diagnostics a number of times to be sure.  Everything seems fine now.

I think once she told me I needed to take a picture to prove to her there was no on-board video, I was just annoyed enough not to remain patient.  Then the suggestion to take the card out of my old computer or to take the computer to a repair facility.

Anyway, I'm glad it was fixed.  A new computer is MUCH more rewarding when it works.  Now if Windows could just make moving to a new computer as easy as moving to a new iPhone, wouldn't the entire experience be so much better?  (I'm not otherwise an Apple fan, but the migration process is *so* much better than Windows and Android.)

July 4th, 2020 21:00

I have this problem too!

I ordered mine on May 19, and got it June 30.

I just finished plugging in everything -- I had to wait to setup until I got my new monitor as my Aurora only has an HDMI and a DVI port, no VGA  (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5). My monitor says no input.

I have no idea how to find find/remove/reseat a video card, or even open the computer -- never had to open my laptop case

I tried to find a YouTube video, with no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

July 4th, 2020 22:00

Here's the service manual for your Aurora R11.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/alienware-aurora-r11-desktop/alienware-aurora-r11-service-manual/working-inside-your-computer?guid=guid-dd3ae169-a824-4f1d-832e-585b176f6faf&lang=en-us

Follow the steps and you should be good. Remember those anti-static strap (no wireless please). And if someone tells you download more RAM or do Verge thermal paste, don't listen to them.

No Events found!