Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

January 9th, 2022 11:00

Aurora R13, PCIe x4 slot not working?

So, this is following up on the Elgato 4K60 mk.2 capture card not showing up when installed on the top x4 PCIe slot.  Been troubleshooting this with Elgato and at this point they haven't been able to find a reason it why it isn't working in the R13. 

I finally fished out my NVME PCIe adapter, put a working NVME m.2 drive on it, and that isn't showing up at all either.  It's getting power, just as the Elgato card did, but isn't showing up as it does in the other system (same with the Elgato).

I'm on the latest 1.08 bios and I don't see any options to manage the PCIe slots.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

April 22nd, 2022 07:00

I want to let you know that the April 22, 2022 BIOS 1.2.1 update has resolved the PCIe 1x4 slot issue. We were able to install our 10GbE NICs onto the motherboards with no further hiccups.

101 Posts

January 9th, 2022 13:00

Total guess right now, but disabling Secure Boot would be my next option.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

January 9th, 2022 14:00

I'm pretty sure I had done that already, but I went back and disabled secure boot, and fast boot, and that didn't solve the issue.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

101 Posts

January 9th, 2022 16:00

You're welcome.  Wish you the best on this.

January 13th, 2022 17:00

I have the same issue, this is very frustrating. Found a fix yet?

509 Posts

January 13th, 2022 17:00

Can you grab a usb boot of Linux and boot into that and see if either of them populate in Linux to see if it's possibly a chipset driver problem on windows

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2022 21:00

@KhaoticKontrol wrote:

I have the same issue, this is very frustrating. Found a fix yet?

What PCIe Addin Card is not being detected for you?

Also, is card x4 etc. and what slots have you tried it in?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2022 21:00

@F34R wrote:

So, this is following up on the Elgato 4K60 mk.2 capture card not showing up when installed on the top x4 PCIe slot.  Been troubleshooting this with Elgato and at this point they haven't been able to find a reason it why it isn't working in the R13. 

I finally fished out my NVME PCIe adapter, put a working NVME m.2 drive on it, and that isn't showing up at all either.  It's getting power, just as the Elgato card did, but isn't showing up as it does in the other system (same with the Elgato).

I'm on the latest 1.08 bios and I don't see any options to manage the PCIe slots.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to suggest solutions without pics because I would have to go examine Elgato card, Aurora-R13 Owners Manual, find a pic of motherboard and slots, maybe look at reviews (for how new case/MB and PCIe cards are normally fitted inside).

However, you have done some good troubleshooting. Since you have tried 2 different (previously working in other machine) PCIe Addin cards, and they refuse to work (or even be detected) it sounds like you have a bad motherboard.

And now that @KhaoticKontrol has chimed-in, there is a possibility that the extra (normally empty) PCIe slots are somehow disabled or broken in some Aurora-R13 machines.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

January 14th, 2022 05:00

I've been in contact with support and have given them a good bit of info on what's happening, how hardware is being shown on the mother board, etc.  They have passed the info to the engineer team and are looking at it now.

I can certainly try the Linux route to see how that works out.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

January 14th, 2022 06:00

Didn't show up in Ubuntu..  however, that could be a driver problem since I there isn't any official drivers for Linux.  The pcie>nvme adapter didn't show up either.  Both do get power.  The Elgato, just like in windows, can still be used as a passthrough.

14 Posts

January 16th, 2022 18:00

I would just leave this to the engineers to come back with a status update instead of trying to somehow stumble on something that will make it work (I also copied my support tech on these threads). Every single person who has tried is coming up with a consistent experience, nothing put in the slot will work. It gets power, it's been tested functional in other systems, but it just won't be seen in the Aurora. Again, if I had to guess, with that NVMe drive so close to the PCIe slot, they are almost touching so architecturally (not knowing who the board manufacturer is) I have to guess there is a trade-off here or something intentionally disabled (maybe only one thing can utilize this PCIe bus?). Maybe a power thing? I know everyone I showed the ad for this system to said they couldn't believe it only came with a 750W power supply having a GTX 3090 in it. But I also have to think there is something low level that Dell turned off that is hidden. Nobody would manufacture a board with an available slot and then leave it non-functional? Somehow either the slot gets disabled by something else having a priority, or there is a jumper or hidden BIOS setting that can turn it off. Has anybody tried running Belarc to see if any specs on the MB come back? I'll try that tonight.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

January 16th, 2022 18:00

BigFishTech did a video of the system and I asked them to put something in the top x4 slot.  They replied that they also tried a pcie/nvme adapter and it didn't work either.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 17th, 2022 03:00

It could be that is shares with the M2 drive. Anybody tried it with the M2 drive removed?

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

January 17th, 2022 05:00

Yes.  I tried that.  I put the m.2 in the other m.2 slot.  If it does share with the x4 pcie slots, then that needs to be fixed.  I mean, what's the point of having those two x4 slots if you can't even use them?

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

January 18th, 2022 13:00

Just read the response back from the teams.

Since the port has been proven to be working fine with other devices, this means the hardware is working as expected, but not with Elgato device under specific circumstances.

In this case, unfortunately there are no changes that we can make to have this third party device work. 

You may try other recommendations from the community and see if any other user has managed to make it work, but from out end this device will not be supported.

I am going to have to have someone call me on this.  I can't sit here and wait days and days with replies, then to have it looked at in the wrong way.

So that's the reply I got.  I replied that that is incorrect and neither of the x4 PCIe ports are working at all, with anything.  Hopefully this was just an error on what they were looking at.

No Events found!