Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2019 12:00

Aurora R4 ALX, motherboard query

Hi all.

I've recently been unable to boot and have the 6 beeps error code, suggesting GPU failure. Whilst I doubted that the GPU was at fault, being only 6 months old, I borrowed a known working GPU from a relative and installed it in both PCIe x16 slots. This resulted in the same 6 beeps at startup. After resetting CMOS and reseating my RAM without any success, I was lead to believe that the motherboard may be dead. As I have the i7-4820K, I ordered what I believed to be a FPV4P (Ivy Bridge) motherboard variant from eBay. Upon arrival, it turns out that it is actually a 7JNH0 (Sandy Bridge). As I now have what I believe to be the wrong variant, do I have any way of updating the new motherboard to take my Ivy Bridge CPU without buying and installing a compatible Sandy Bridge CPU first? I'm assuming that I'll be unable to boot the machine and access or update the BIOS with my i7-4820K installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

March 18th, 2019 14:00

Hi, Dell tends to have different part#'s in their database; below, something like 8FMMC is a motherboard 'assembly', which is a multi-item 'package' of, say, motherboard & something as simple as thermal paste, perhaps inclusion of the tempan (mthrbrd tray) ... & thus 'additional parts or pieces' they include obscure the true mthrbrd part# that members & buyers typically use, since those are found on the mthrbrd itself

Capture.JPG

My investigation revealed that C5D9P is 7JNH0 (Sandy) (above); 8FMMC is 0FPV4P (Ivy) (below)

Also, my FPV4P originally shipped w/4820k (see What motherboard do I have?)

*FPV4P: Shipped brand new to buyers with A08 (and later A09 / 10 / 11) already installed, & so that mthrbrd part# is always Ivy capable

*7JNH0: For your purpose, your  can in fact run an Ivy, so long as it has Bios A08 or higher; if Bios is below A08, then yes you have to install a Sandy 1st - use it to update Bios to A08 (or higher) - then install 4820k, unfortunately. In otherwords, there is a good chance it will boot up right now so long as the prior owner had the Bios flashed to A08 or higher ... if u don't know the Bios version then install 4820k & see what happens

*be ultra-careful not to bend any pins when installing CPU, bent pins on install can make the mthrbrd act dead, & use a good thermal paste --> ArcticSilver5 or better

Your prediction u may have to buy (or borrow) a Sandy in order to update the Bios to get Ivy to work is true, & there is no shortcut around it; typical Sandy 3820 could be used & are cheap (buy one to flash Bios if needed then keep it as a testing spare for your Ivy)(or sell 3820 after using it) good luck

2 Posts

March 19th, 2019 08:00

Cass-Ole, thank you so much for taking the time to write such an in-depth response! I believe that the motherboard is 'new' and that it has A02 installed, so I don't hold out much hope that my CPU will work as-is. I'll have a go at getting it working tonight and if I have no joy, I will purchase a 3820. Thank you again!
No Events found!