Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 9th, 2018 12:00

Aurora-R4, retail LGA 1151 motherboard, i7-8700k CPU

Looking to upgrade my Aurora-R4 to an LGA 1151 motherboard w/ i7-8700k. What will i need to be able to accomplish this, plus any recommended motherboards for this ? 

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz Sandy Bridge

Motherboard: Alienware 07JNH0 BIOS A11

Graphics:  GTX 1080 (x2)

RAM: Crucial 32GB DIMM DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

SSD: samsung pro 1TB

HHD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB

PSU: Alienware 875 Watts.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2018 14:00

I personally can't help with turning an Alienware into a non-Alienware. It will be more like a custom-build than anything else.

Trying to bring-along proprietary hardware (the Aurora case and the MIO-Board) and it's matching software (Alienware Command Center) into a custom-build is tricky (and in my opinion un-necessary).

See the many old threads like this one:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Motherboard-Upgrade-Inquiry-for-Alienware-Aurora-R4/m-p/5582044

If you include the older ones about Area51-R1 board swaps ... actually, a lot of good info.

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2018 00:00

Hey there. I have an Aurora R4 ALX Case with a EVGA Micro z370 motherboard and 8700k processor. My motherboard does the trick but I ended up having to get a hub so I can get more USB2 connectors since the MIO board needs one, your towers USB2 needs it and also any third party CPU cooler like Corsair. The 8700k runs hot so I ended up having to do additional mods like put two additional fans on the top and rotate the RAM fan so the air can exhaust through the vents. I also took out the DVD drive and put a 120mm fan to pull air from the front of the case. You probably are thinking its overkill but these mods have kept my computer running near silent and have the best airflow. The case does not have the best airflow but my mod came out looking clean. I will post pictures later. One last thing I need to mention is I ended up having to get the Corsair H80i V2 because it has a thicker radiator to help keep the processor cool. If you truly love your case like I do then its worth the extra work and dealing with pain in the neck custom dell cables.

To finish summing up you need the following:

1. Micro ATX motherboard either z370 or upcoming z390. The motherboard needs 3 USB headers (MIO Board, Case USB, Radiator)

2. You will need a CPU cooler with a thick radiator like the Corsair H80i V2

3. Appropriate RAM for your new motherboard

4. CPU

5. Install Windows with the MIO board disconnected (for some reason MIO board connected has given others problems in the past.

6. Install the Command Center/AlienFX software from the dell website for your Aurora R4 

7. Inside Windows 10 power settings. Make sure "Turn on Fast Startup" is off. If you leave this enabled the fans will always stay open or the case lights will be on with the computer off.

8. Connect the MIO USB2 header into the motherboard

9. Enjoy!

-Luke

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 24th, 2018 15:00

@luke, when do we get to see some pics? (see photo posting tips below)

I see your EVGA board got the 9th Gen Intel Bios firmware update back in August, so let us know if you ever swap out the 8th Gen 

Posting pics: Since Mr Dell won't allow us to upload pics here & actually get to see them, I use postimages.org (upload photo there, copy the provided 'direct link' & paste it into your post here, which I've done with your EVGA Bios update screen grab)(if that doesn't work, go ahead & post your text, then come back & do an edit - the edit screen also seems to have more tools - where upon you copy/paste the direct link to share photos in your post). Toggling between 'Rich Text' & HTML may open tools as well

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 24th, 2018 15:00

@Cass-Ole wrote:

1. Posting pics: Since Mr Dell won't allow us to upload pics here & actually get to see them,

2. I use postimages.org (upload photo there, copy the provided 'direct link' & paste it into your post here, which I've done with your EVGA Bios update screen grab)

1. As long as they are legit, they eventually appear to everyone (after moderation approval). 

2. Yeah, that works too.

No Events found!