Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

July 7th, 2018 21:00

Aurora-R6, installing a Corsair H60

I have an Aurora R6 that has an air cooled I7 7700 (non k) and it gets too hot while under load. I was thinking about installing an H60 AIO since it has space for a radiator but I wanted to know what others thought before I do it. I have read that the motherboard already has a back plate that will work but I cant confirm if that is true or not. If anyone has any suggestions or information that would help it would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is the size of the radiator and the tubes, the motherboard already having a back plate or not, and I am also wondering if the 450W PSU will be able to take the pump or not. Thank you for any info or tips.  

Edit: Ok so I installed the cooler with little to no problem. Temps have majorly improved and everything is going great. When installing though I needed to go out and purchase 6-32x 3/8 screws as the screws that come with the h60 can only hold the fan in place so I put the fan on the bottom and the radiator was held down with the screws I purchased on the top. The tubes do press on the psu but it isn’t an issue it is a very slight pressure and the tubes do not heat up at all. Overall it is a very easy process and the cooler fits in well enough. If anyone has any questions or is trying to do this themselves feel free to ask.

Edit 2: so the corsir h60 is almost a perfect fit in the r6 and my temps never go above 55 now. I have had no problem with the install and it was actually very simple. Just some things to keep in mind the tubes do press on the psu a tad bit but it is nothing noticeable and the tubes do not get hot nor does the block so that's all good. The best position I found was rad fan on the inside so takes all the hot air out of the case and tubes on the rad to the right towards the ram with the sails on the block also pointing towards the ram. If you plan to put the fan on the inside like I did you are gonna need to buy some short screws to hold the rad in place as the ones that come with it will not hold both. I forgot the exact size but if you look up the online service manual you can easily locate the size of the rad screws and then buy some at your local hardware store or online. Over all very worth it and I got almost a 20 degree drop in temps at full load and it wasn't hard at all. If anyone wants to do this but has questions feel free to ask and ill try to get to you as fast as I can. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 7th, 2018 23:00

There is not much space, due to power-supply. 

I suggest the stock Alienware liquid-cooler. Like the Corsair, it's made my Asetek.

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-liquid-cooling-unit/td-p/5743099

and

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R5-upgrade-CPU-non-K-to-K/td-p/6022718

Yes, the 460w PS will run a pump and fan.

6 Posts

July 8th, 2018 06:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

There is not much space, due to power-supply. 

I suggest the stock Alienware liquid-cooler. Like the Corsair, it's made my Asetek.

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-liquid-cooling-unit/td-p/5743099

and

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R5-upgrade-CPU-non-K-to-K/td-p/6022718

Yes, the 460w PS will run a pump and fan.

I would install the stock alienware liquid cooler but from what I have heard you can no longer purchase it from dell. I wouldn’t begin to know where I could get my hands on one.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 8th, 2018 09:00

@Bakir wrote:

I would install the stock alienware liquid cooler but from what I have heard you can no longer purchase it from dell. I wouldn’t begin to know where I could get my hands on one.

Did you try calling Dell Parts on the phone?

MH0HN = Asetek USA 35-102-0000113, 95w liquid cooling assembly, Aurora-R7/R6
F484V = Bracket for 95w liquid cooling assembly, Aurora-R7/R6/R5
J46J2 = Heatsink, Aurora-R7/R6/R5

6 Posts

July 8th, 2018 11:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@Bakir wrote:

Did you try calling Dell Parts on the phone?

MH0HN = Asetek USA 35-102-0000113, 95w liquid cooling assembly, Aurora-R7/R6
F484V = Bracket for 95w liquid cooling assembly, Aurora-R7/R6/R5
J46J2 = Heatsink, Aurora-R7/R6/R5

They told me that they no longer sell this part. I was told the h60 was the closest thing to it so I am going to attempt an install tonight. One thing though is that the pump fan is a 3 pin but the header for it is a 4 pin. I have heard that you can still connect it and just leave the 4th pin hanging out is that true

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 8th, 2018 12:00

@Bakir wrote:

the pump [ radiator ] fan is a 3 pin but the header for it is a 4 pin. I have heard that you can still connect it and just leave the 4th pin hanging out is that true

I'm not familiar with all the different ways things can be done incorrectly and still barely work.  :Smile:

Just a guess, but I would not think so since Pin#4 on a PWM fan is the Speed-Control.

https://forums.evga.com/Case-FAN-3PIN-vs-4PIN-m2635966.aspx

The stock liquid-cooler has a variable-speed radiator fan and that is an important and used feature (in normal operation). Alternatively, the pump-impeller speed is constant/fixed.

798 Posts

July 8th, 2018 15:00

Tesla is correct in regards to the pump speed control needing to be 100% fixed so would go to extra power lead coming off the PSU or a fixed 100% 3 pin on the motherboard.  Then use the fan off the AIO to the PWM.

One precaution about the H60.   I thought I saw somewhere that the square pump head was a tight fit on the Aurora CPU bracket.  A newer AIO unit with a round head might be an easier install and a better unit in general.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 8th, 2018 17:00

@HanoverB wrote:

1. Tesla is correct in regards to the pump speed control needing to be 100% fixed so would go to extra power lead coming off the PSU or a fixed 100% 3 pin on the motherboard.  Then use the fan off the AIO fan to the PWM.

2. A newer AIO unit with a round head might be an easier install and a better unit in general.

1. I'm not familiar with the Corsair-H60, but if it's radiator-fan is conventional (and can be removed) ... seems like he would instead use one of 4pin-PWN fans ... already inside the machine ... or just get one.

2. Exactly. Seems like the tubes exiting from the side helps also. Since Corsair and others use Asetek's tech, seems like someone would have cloned the same model Alienware did by now.

798 Posts

July 8th, 2018 18:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@HanoverB wrote:

1. Tesla is correct in regards to the pump speed control needing to be 100% fixed so would go to extra power lead coming off the PSU or a fixed 100% 3 pin on the motherboard.  Then use the fan off the AIO fan to the PWM.

2. A newer AIO unit with a round head might be an easier install and a better unit in general.

1. I'm not familiar with the Corsair-H60, but if it's radiator-fan is conventional (and can be removed) ... seems like he would instead use one of 4pin-PWN fans ... already inside the machine ... or just get one.

2. Exactly. Seems like the tubes exiting from the side helps also. Since Corsair and others use Asetek's tech, seems like someone would have cloned the same model Alienware did by now.

1.  The AIO units come with one or two fans, You can certainly use either the existing Dell PWM fan or the SP120L fan that comes with the Corsair units like the H75  (Using a single fan from H75 push/pull combo in the R6/R7).  It would depend on noise / efficiency of the stock fan vs the Corsair static pressure fan.  

Corsair H75 AIO Cooler

EVGA makes a new unit that also has a round head, look similar to the Dell unit.  Choice of fan again would be noise / efficiency choice 

EVGA CLC 120

2.  In looking at the units the only concern would be the radius of the turn of the hoses would have to make if the cooler pipes are perpendicular to the motherboard vs parallel.. I've seen picture of the Dell Asetek unit both ways.  

Perhaps the EVGA CLC tuners would help here to prevent a kink, but thinking that they shouldn't be necessary.

EVGA CLC Tuners

One other question, if one installs AIO liquid cooling to the Aurora, does one have to install the overclocking heatsink (silver brick shaped heatsink) to the left of the CPU because the OEM CPU heatsink fins no longer are able to cool those components?

6 Posts

July 8th, 2018 19:00

@HanoverB wrote:

Here is a picture of a picture of a H60 unit installed in a R6 i7-7700 by HossBud in the Alienware Arena Forum.  He had to bend the mounting brackets of the H60 unit to make a secure connection against the exposed heat spreader of the CPU.  He cited 70 degree temps of the i7-7700 at full load with the AIO installed.

36873483212_e9fe36372c_h.jpg

I cannot see the picture for some reason If there is another way you could send it that would be great. 

798 Posts

Here is a picture of a picture of an older H60 unit installed in a R6 i7-7700 by HossBud in the Alienware Arena Forum.  He had to bend the mounting brackets of the H60 unit to make a secure connection against the exposed heat spreader of the CPU.  He cited 70 degree temps of the i7-7700 at full load with the AIO installed.

36873483212_e9fe36372c_h.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@HanoverB wrote:

One other question, if one installs AIO liquid cooling to the Aurora, does one have to install the overclocking heatsink (silver brick shaped heatsink) to the left of the CPU because the OEM CPU heatsink fins no longer are able to cool those components?

No, I don't think so. I think it's just to help cool VRM during strain of over-clocking. Dell only installs VRM-Heatsink on machines that ship with a K-class processor.

798 Posts

July 8th, 2018 20:00

Sent the pic via PM.

Here is the link to that thread which also has a link to those images. I hope shows up here:

Alienware R6 Cooling

Thanks Tesla, for clarifying the issue of that heatsink.

798 Posts

July 8th, 2018 21:00

BTW when I installed the Asetek units before in a couple of machines, all I did was tighten the thumbscrews till they were handtight at opposite corners in an X pattern. and another quarter turn.   They are not meant to be cranked down as at least on the installations I've done,  they don't actually tighten onto the motherboard but onto the top of the double threaded pin that is already threaded into the mounting hole on the motherboard onto which the mounting brackets are placed.

6 Posts

July 8th, 2018 21:00

@Bakir wrote:

I have an Aurora R6 that has an air cooled I7 7700 (non k) and it gets too hot while under load. I was thinking about installing an H60 AIO since it has space for a radiator but I wanted to know what others thought before I do it. I have read that the motherboard already has a back plate that will work but I cant confirm if that is true or not. If anyone has any suggestions or information that would help it would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is the size of the radiator and the tubes, the motherboard already having a back plate or not, and I am also wondering if the 450W PSU will be able to take the pump or not. Thank you for any info or tips. 

Ok so I just installed the AIO into the machine and I had little to no issues. It was a pretty easy process but I ran into a little space problem but that was solved by turning the block 90 degrees and now the only thing that I can see wrong is that the tubes press against the power supply a little when you close the case but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of pressure on the tubes or the PSU. I am going to continue to test and see how the temps have changed.

798 Posts

August 18th, 2018 13:00

I just installed the new 2018 Corsair Hydro Series H60 in an XPS 8930.  

New design 2018 model with much more supple rubber hoses, the head is not totally squared off and had no problems installing into the 1151 socket Dell motherboard without any modifications. The hoses rotate on the barbs for flexibility in placing hose under the swinging PSU.  Upgraded SP120 PWM fan, SATA connector for the pump, well done package.  There is also a single wire optional fan tach cable on a 3 pin connector on the cpu pump you can use to monitor the speed of the pump and it can also serve to provide a signal to the fan header to prevent fan errors at startup.  Easy to install, would still recommended for the R6/R7 machines.  

No Events found!