Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SA

14 Posts

August 1st, 2020 11:00

Aurora R7, P2418HT, Windows 10 conflicts

I have a Aurora R7 loaded with ram. I always connected the PC to a wide-screen TV via HDMI, until recently. I few months ago I purchased a very expensive P2418HT. To my disgust, I have spent more time messing with the monitor and Windows 10 conflicts than ever using my computer, since then.

Every time Windows does an update, the computer no longer recognizes the P2418HT. The normal fix is a cold restart (unplugging the cord for perhaps an hour, then plugging everything back in). Last week, this fix stopped working. Windows 10 did an update, required a restart, and poof, no more connection to the P2418HT. After reading a variety of very long, very absurd fixes, I gave up.

I connected the P2418HT to a 10 year old Windows 7 laptop via the VGA port. Perfect, no problems, works great. I connected the Aurora R7 to a 10 year old flat screen TV via the HDMI port.  Perfect, no problems, works great. The joke is that I cannot use my $2,000+ Dell Desktop with my $300+ Dell Monitor, because of an odd bug between Dell PC/Windows 10/Dell Monitor.

There should be no list of crazy steps required to fix this issue. I can see from research that this is a Dell issue that has gone on for many years, with a variety of computers. Dell should have a simple patch that solves this problem. I can supply the service tag numbers of my Aurora R7 and the P2418HT, not that it should be necessary.  I read the foolishness about the actual video port being covered up on my model, meaning Dell ripped me off by charging me for a video card that is not even being used.

As of now, I get more use out of my 10 year old Windows 7 laptop, because my P2418HT is so useful.  My ultra-expensive desktop (Aurora R7) is now just an "old stored movies coordinator," on my home network.

Can anyone help me? This is a Dell problem, when two top priced Dell items do not recognize each other. No, the odd shaped VGA plug on the P2418HT does not fit the plug on the Aurora R7 (another embarrassing joke for Dell).  The high priced monitor has several input cords/plugs, but NO simple HDMI port. The odd shaped HDMI is also not recognized by the computer.  

I should be able to use the ports on the PC that I paid $2,000 for to plug directly into my $300+ monitor, without constant tinkering.

sgd

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 15:00

1. The odd shaped HDMI is also not recognized by the computer.

2. but NO simple HDMI port.

=================

1. That is a DisplayPort. That is what you use for (high-performance) computer displays now-days.

2. The P2418HT pic I'm looking at shows an HDMI-port right next to the DisplayPort.

HDMI is more for TVs and HomeTheater. Older versions of HDMI are limited to 1080p.

August 2nd, 2020 18:00

Yes -- Thats the DP Port.  I forget the name, as I'm no longer a certified geek.  I was connecting to the DELL 24" touch screen monitor via the DP for 2 years.  Each time Windows 10 did an update, the monitor would lose the DP signal.  A cold re-start would usually work, after at least a full hour unplugged.

Last week, that solution stopped working.  The monitor simply no longer sees a signal from the DP.  The other PC Ports do not match the available ports on the Monitor, thus I'm .  

I connected the PC to a different monitor through the HDMI port (as the older Monitor had an HDMI Input) -- and it works fine.  I also connected the fancy newer Monitor to an old laptop via the VGA port -- works great.  In fact, the new monitor on the old laptop makes the old laptop look like an all-star.

That said, DELL ALIENWARE AURORA R7 DESKTOP simply will no longer connect to the DELL P2418HT Monitor.  The great helpful team at Dell was so interested in private emailing me to get my service tag #, so that they could respond that my service tag # warranty was expired.  Thanks so much for that!  Appreciate it! NO, I'm not interested in paying you to have you fix your on BUG that should be fixed FREE as a recall item.

August 3rd, 2020 12:00

No, That monitor does not have an HDMI Port.  It has DP, VGA, USB, and power cord.  NO HDMI.  I have an older Monitor with HDMI connected to the DELL PC now.  It works that way -- and I won't be doing any more Dell business ever again.  They just don't stand by their products.

Many of us non-geeks haven't purchased any computer products in nearly 10 years.  DP is a new term for me.

I've re-purposed the Monitor, by connecting it to an old laptop.  Life goes on -- without ever getting any help from Dell

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 12:00

I didn't know you had to be a "certified geek" to know what a DisplayPort is. It is very common (for many years now).

As I already posted, the P2418HT Monitor DOES have a HDMI-Port, so you can use/try that if you want to.

DisplayPort should also work (if the cable and DisplayPorts on both machines are working).  If the DisplayPort is malfunctioning on either machine, you will have to get it repaired first.

I hate to break-it-to-you, but since YOU are the owner of these machines ... this is your problem to deal with (not Dell's). We can try to help if you ask nicely. Calm-down and work-the-problem.

If you are looking for help from Dell, the ranting is not really helping your situation. They will probably leave your messages online, but the departments that can help you don't really read this forum (you will have to contact them directly).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 13:00

August 3rd, 2020 20:00

Thats another Dell lie.  The HDMI port is simply not there.  Even if it was there, it would be a total rip off for Dell to expect buyers to use HDMI, when it claims to be a top-notch Dell Monitor that uses DP for the Dell Desktop.

No Events found!