Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2018 10:00

Aurora R7, compatible retail RAM?

Hi, 

I have a new Alienware Aurora R7, BestBuy purchase, a very nice machine.  I want to do a couple upgrades.  I want add an M.2 2280 1 TB PCIe Samsung Pro NVMe drive.  I'm comfortable with this upgrade as I have already asked on this forum regarding its compatibility.  Thanks for that Tesla1856.   

I'm struggling with the RAM upgrade. It appears the RAM in the pic below, meets the specs for this machine at least on paper.  I've seen a couple other posts on Amazon regarding this RAM working with success on another  Aurora R7.  But, as you know RAM can be tricky.  I cannot find independent confirmation, even from Corsair that this RAM is workable with the Aurora R7.  I'm thinking I may be alright.  However, I wonder if the community would chime in on my chance for success here with this Corsair RAM.  Perhaps others have used it with success.  I hate RMA's, especially 15% restocking RMA's, especially if not compatible.   I have noted on this Corsair RAM NewEgg shows the "Timing" and "CAS latency".  I cannot find these spec'd on the Dell certified RAM shown in the upgrades area for my Aurora R7 on Dells web site.   Does this "Timing and CAS Latency" make a difference when I am adding two entirely new sticks of the Corsair RAM with the stock RAM installed.   So, you ask why don't I just purchase the Dell Certified RAM from the Dell Store.  Well the fact is a mere one stick of 16 GB RAM albeit certified for this Aurora R7 is more expensive than two sticks of this Corsair RAM.  Thus my desire to purchase this RAM from NewEgg.  

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit

Please note the link to the RAM I want to use at New 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233853&ignorebbr=1

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  Brad

2 Posts

January 29th, 2019 16:00

I did not check at two sticks what channel. It is running in dual channel now. My BIOS is the latest one by Alienware, 1.0.17 10/9/18

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

January 30th, 2019 07:00

@Dirtyratz 

What is your BIOS version?

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

January 30th, 2019 07:00

@Dirtyratz wrote:

Hello I recently upgraded my R7 ram to 32g (16x2) G Skill ripjaw V 3000 as noted that works through a very tedious forum/ reddit search (including this very post). It posts, has dual channel but is limited to 2133. I checked the bios there is no option to change the setting out the xmp 1 profile. Theyre in the correct spots (exact same spots where the OEM ram was located) but seemingly cannot find a way to at least get the speed back to 2666 like it was originally. Im racking my brain trying to come to a solution here but am not finding much more info. Ive search about 100 pages into the g skill forum as well. 

if any one has a solution or could point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Specs

R7

I7 8700 (non k)
gtx 1070
Originally 16 (8x2) 2666

New ram specs
Gskill Ripjaw V DD4 3000 
FC-3000 C16D-32GVRB
CL16-18-18-38 1.35v

The only things ive upgraded outside of this is adding two solid state drives which function as they should with no issues. 

Thank you in advance.

What is your BIOS version?  

4 Posts

January 30th, 2019 08:00

Bios version is 1.0.17

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

January 30th, 2019 11:00

@Dirtyratz wrote:

Bios version is 1.0.17

Interesting.  Thanks for letting me know.  Surprised that XMP is still grayed out for you.  I wonder if it's only active for those with K processors. 

February 22nd, 2019 01:00

hello all can anyone please help , ive purchased another 16 DDR hyper x 16gb 2933 for my system with the single 16gb installed it says that its running at 2800MHZ but once i put the other 16gb in to make it 32gb it says both running at 2400MHZ is this right if not how can i adjust the MHZ speed please help or is this right once the increasing the ram that the MHZ is capped im lost im not a computer wizard so any help appreciated thanks Craig

February 22nd, 2019 11:00

I got the same problem. The problem is that the RAM that you bought is set at 2400MHZ for general use. You need to go to your BIOS and change the RAM speed to 2800 MHZ or whatever the speed. However, Dell R7 block us to change the RAM speed in BIOS due to people over clock it and break it. I'm not sure the recent BIOS update will let us change the speed or not, but you can try

February 23rd, 2019 03:00

also after i installed the the ram from 16 to 32 ,it dropped from 2800 to 2400 for 32 gb it was running fine via testing but once i tunred off the system last night it wouldn't boot this morning , so i had to take the 16 stick back out any ideas ? 

as id rather ty to self help than put in a shop , as once i put the 32 in it wouldnt let me boot to bois can i do this maybe once its running with the 32 in it ,,, 

can i access it for windows with out rebooting the system 

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 06:00

@craig003646 wrote:

also after i installed the the ram from 16 to 32 ,it dropped from 2800 to 2400 for 32 gb it was running fine via testing but once i tunred off the system last night it wouldn't boot this morning , so i had to take the 16 stick back out any ideas ? 

as id rather ty to self help than put in a shop , as once i put the 32 in it wouldnt let me boot to bois can i do this maybe once its running with the 32 in it ,,, 

can i access it for windows with out rebooting the system 

First, is your factory installed stick of RAM actually 2933MHz or is it  2666MHz?  Second, if it is factory-installed 2933MHz RAM, did you purchase the new stick from Dell/Alienware or from Kingston/HyperX.  If you are in fact trying to mix Dell and Kingston RAMs, they do not work together because of differences in timing betweem OEM and factory RAM.  There are a lot of posts in the forums about this specific issue, as well as the R7's overall RAM compatibility problems.

Second, I hope I'm misreading your post, because installing RAM while your system is running is just a plain BAD idea.  Potentially, it will not only void any warranty you might have, but it can cause severe damage to virtually every component in your system, including the motherboard and CPU.  

If you are running mismatched RAM, then no, you will never get to the BIOS screen, much less Windows.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 14:00

Be sure to upgrade the BIOS in R7 first and see if it fixes the Memory Speed. My memory is 1.2 volts. Some has had problems because the R7 likes the 1.2 volts. I have upgraded to 32gb with 2x16gb matched and works great at Xmp-1.  The BIOS upgrades has mentioned fixes for Kingston Memory which works at 1.2 volts.

So if I am upgrading any further my choice would be only 1.2 volt Memory. 

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 15:00

The memory that comes in the R7 is 1.2 volts. That is probably your problem. I know the Kingston hyper-x memory is 1.2 volt has been put in the updated Bios.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2019 15:00

The memory that comes in the R7 is 1.2 volts. That is probably your problem. I know the Kingston hyper-x memory is 1.2 volt has been put in the updated Bios.

May 15th, 2019 18:00

Hey guys I found the perfect ram to expand the stock stuff that comes with the R7 DDR 2666. It's G-skilll Aegis ram. I got 32gb to match the current stock 32gb at 1.2V with the same Timings. Booted up without a hitch a running stable. I also got it online for a great price for 32GB on a flash sale to put icing on the cake. 

September 1st, 2019 22:00

Hey guys, I want to give an update as for some module i've tried and works in my Aurora R7:

With my existing stock Dell (samsung) 2666 cas 20 ram, I've installed the following and works (at downclock):

G. Skill Ripjaws V 3000 (If I remove the stock ram, after several restart the xmp1 option in bios will show up and it'll run at 2933 mhz) 2x16gb

G.Skill Aegis  - same story. Down-clock when run together with stock ram but will run at 3000 mhz when run alone. 2x 16gb. Been a while so my memory can be a little fuzzy on this one.

Crucial Ballistix Sport 32gb 3200 mhz: works fine and downclock when run with stock Ram, but if I let this kit run alone, it will run at 3200 mhz after several restart. But if I go to bios to check the speed then exit, then next time it will not boot. Have to stick in the original ram, start the pc, then shut down, put in the new Ram again.
And this current config which at the time I did not know that is mismatched, but still working and give no memory errors: 4x8gb ram (both 3 sticks and 4 sticks configuration works, so the information that you can install 3 x 8gb stick but not 4  x 8gb sticks is outdated)

2 x8gb 2666 stock ram cas 20

1 x8gb crucial ballistix 2666 DUAL RANK cas 16

1 x 8gb Crucial Ballistix 2666 SINGLE RANK cas 16

All down-clocked automatically and running at Cas 20. Back then I did not pay attention to Dual Rank vs. Single rank.

So probably memory compatibility is better in the R7 now. I've read somewhere on the internet that some user got 3200mhz to work but the last time I tried (early summer this year) I failed. Ram prices have been nice but those Crucial Modules rarely on sale.

21 Posts

December 9th, 2019 13:00

I recently bought RAM to upgrade my Aurora R7.  I got 32gb of 2666 HyperX Fury.  Like many others I paired this with my OEM 16gb and my RAM speed dropped from 2666 to 2400.  I'm on BIOS 1.0.19.  Here is the RAM I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WCQRQ8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It appears that this issue isn't fixed and I guess my question is how important is the speed difference for RAM of 2400 vs 2666.  Am I better off leaving in 48gb of RAM at 2400 or should I take out the 16gb of OEM and just have 32gb at 2666?  I'd assume that I'm better off with more overall RAM but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

No Events found!