Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2018 14:00

Aurora-R7, i7-8086k compatible?

I have an Aurora R7 model with an i5 8400 with a stock cpu fan and I may have won an i7 8086k that I'd like to swap in it's place. Will there be any issues with doing this aside from extra power needed and potentially more hot temps I'll need to deal with?  I'm more concerned if there will be BIOS related issues. I've read elsewhere that the Mobo should accept any 8th gen Intel CPU but I'm just wondering since this is a limited edition CPU.

11 Posts

August 18th, 2018 08:00

My config is all air cooled. I don't have any experience maintaining liquid cooled machines so I went with the cheaper option. I'd imagine your airflow would be better with liquid cooled because it dumps all the heat out of the connected radiator.

I have a 1070 that ran a little bit at first too but I fixed that by downloading msi afterburner and I ramped up the fan curve and undervolted the card.

So all in all I am fine with the temps on the R7 for being as compact as it is and being air cooled. The 8086k hits 80 degrees during stress testing or games but is at around 35 degrees idle.  However, I'd recommend waiting a bit because there's a big chance Nvidia will be announcing a new line of cards this Monday. Also there are constant rumors that Intel will release a 9th gen, 8 core CPU this fall which I know would be better for video editing.  

But if you can't wait then just know I got my original R7 config (i5 8400, GTX 1070, air cooled) for a smidge under $1000 during the height of the crypto boom in February so don't pay anymore than that now that video cards and RAM are falling in price.

32 Posts

August 18th, 2018 09:00

Yeah I did a bit of googling earlier and saw some coffee lake refresh processors mentioned and nvidia 2080 cards... though what's the chance they would be sold in the R7 anytime soon? I might just get a decent config for the R7 now and then in a few years time go back and upgrade with whatever is newer/compatible when I can afford it? Argh I dunno. Seems like every time I buy a PC something better is right around the corner, but then i'd always be sitting here waiting if I never jumped in haha

11 Posts

August 18th, 2018 10:00

No idea on when they'll be available in OEM builds but it will be interesting to see what Nvidia announces next Monday.  Maybe R7s will start to go on sale soon after while they prepare for R8s 🙂. If you decide to get an R7 just use pcpartpicker (don't forget to add $100 for Windows 10)  to compare prices to see if you're getting a fair price.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2018 18:00

Hello, this is possible with an Aurora R6? I want to change my i7 7700 to a   Core i7 8086K and by the way I've changed my PSU to a 850W and getting a Liquid Cooled Fan also I have a 1080ti, thanx in advice for your answer

11 Posts

December 22nd, 2018 19:00

Nope 7000 series uses a different socket unfortunately.
No Events found!