Unsolved

Closed

J

13 Posts

March 19th, 2023 12:00

Aurora R8, BIOS updates won't go through manually or updates

Alienware Aurora R8

Alienware Aurora R8

I've been struggling with updating my BIOS on my Aurora R8 for two days now. When I use SupportAssist to automatically update my BIOS it says failed. But when I try to do it manually nothing happens if it's the latest version. When I try gradually updating my BIOS manually I get an error message: "Error: Unable to load driver". I'm currently on Windows 11 and I'm kind of stumped on what I should do to fix this? Because updating my BIOS will probably fix my performance and fan issues I have right now.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

May 19th, 2023 02:00

If you've encountered difficulties updating your BIOS on your Aurora R8, it's advisable to reach out to Dell's technical support for assistance, providing them with the specific error message you're encountering and details about your system setup, as they will be better equipped to troubleshoot and guide you through the necessary steps to successfully update your BIOS, which may help resolve your performance and fan issues.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

Hi @john307 welcome to this free user-to-user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

Important Information

- If you have Windows 11, version 22H2, and your BIOS version is 1.0.25 or earlier, ensure to update the BIOS using BIOS Boot Menu install instructions.
- Once the BIOS is upgraded to version 1.0.3 or later, you cannot downgrade the BIOS to any earlier versions. BIOS downgrades are restricted when there are security updates and important fixes with earlier versions that impact the functionality of the system.
- BIOS updates take no more than 5 minutes to be installed on your system. You can install the updates in the background while using the system.

Alienware Aurora R8 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell US

13 Posts

I forgot to mention this too. When I restart my computer it brings up a menu that says "Boot failure on device".

13 Posts

I'm confused. I'm currently on BIOS version 1.0.14. What should I do? What are the BIOS Boot Menu install instructions?

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 19th, 2023 14:00

If you want my advice: don't update your BIOS, chances are fan or performance issues are not BIOS related and you take a chance bricking your motherboard. This has happened more than once to users who decided to upgrade their BIOS.

So what are the fan and performance issues you are having?

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

For boot failure issues you might have a bad drive. Run an Epsa test: ePSA test 

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

@john307 Never update your BIOS through Support Assist. You should only ever get BIOS updates directly through the Dell Support site using your Service Tag. They should really disable this option through SA as it can cause major issues. 

It can also tell you that you need to update even when you have the latest version. 

13 Posts

March 19th, 2023 20:00

It says I need the latest version of BIOS, but when I go to install it says failed installation. Or when I do it manually it doesn't work either.

13 Posts

A ran the ePSA test and I tested everything including memory and it all came out fine. It didn't tell me there were any errors or issues. 

13 Posts

Well first off, my fan spikes frequently when I'm playing games that have never been to intensive such as R6. And several videos I've seen on the internet regarding the Aurora R8 say it's typically related to BIOS. 

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 20th, 2023 06:00

You might want to run a disk check under windows to be sure there are no file system errors. Is this an air cooled system, or a liquid cooled system?

What are the temperatures when playing games?

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 20th, 2023 09:00

13 Posts

March 20th, 2023 09:00

It’s an air cooled system. How do I run a disk check by the way? I’ll have to check the temps when I get home.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

March 20th, 2023 10:00

If you have an air cooled CPU you are going to have screaming fans.

13 Posts

March 20th, 2023 11:00

I’ve never had an issue with my fans being super loud that’s why Im concerned now.

No Events found!