Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

10 Posts

January 13th, 2021 08:00

Aurora R8, upgrades, CPU, PSU, cooling

Hello all,

After doing some research from various threads I have decided to upgrade my R8. Will it be successful?

I will be upgrading to i9-9900k, from I5-9400. I will be using Corsair H60 with ML120 Pro fan to replace the radiator fan. Could not find the H75 at a reasonable price, price gouging at its finest. Power Supply will be upgraded to the EVGA G5 850W, w/ 90 degree sata cable, from 460W. I have RTX 2060 but eventually, I would like to upgrade it to 3080, but who knows when that will be available. Am I missing anything?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 13th, 2021 09:00

@Spar181    Am I missing anything?

The H75 is just an H60 with an additional fan for push/pull. Put the Corsair ML120 Pro (no LED, no RGB) on the radiator and connect to TOP_FAN mobo header. Use the SP Series fan that comes with the H60 to replace the OEM lower front intake fan. If you have an optical drive you will need the SATA 15-pin to SATA 6-pin Slimline adapter to power the drive. Zip ties for cable management.

(click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3858.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 13th, 2021 11:00

When you upgrade to a RTX 3080, the choices are very very limited without other mods, notably the front fan to a slim 15mm, this will open up a few options on 3080 but not all. Prying off the PSU triangle is the only way to extend your choices to a large range of 3080s.

I went the just 15mm fan but have added more things progressively to give better airflow, Upper front fan and more to come this weekend hopefully.

Good luck with the upgrade and share some pics

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 21st, 2021 16:00

I think you should stick the h60 on the pump fan header, it keeps the pump running high RPM, not controllable in AWCC.

The OEM water cooling is: water pump on pump header, radiator fan on top fan header, the ML 120 Pro connected to top fan is on the h60 radiator?

10 Posts

Ok, quick update. Everything is up and running. Install was pretty straight-forward. I ended up getting 2 Pro fans, front and radiator. Got an error that the CPU fan malfunctioned, but I can assume that is expected since I have the H60 on pump fan header? I have ML120 Pro connected to Top Fan. The H60 also has a SATA plug that I connected to an open connector. Should I connect pump to CPU Fan header?Fan.jpgPSU.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

lol ignore that last reply, tired, @Anonymous said it here 

SATA power to an SATA connector coming from your PSU

Pump tach to mobo PUMP header

radiator fan to mobo TOP FAN header

mobo CPU FAN header *empty*

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

In another words, something about SATA to the two remaining pins on PUMP fan header (tach)

10 Posts

January 21st, 2021 17:00

Yes, I replaced the H60 stock fan with PRO. 

10 Posts

January 21st, 2021 17:00

Perfect, just the way I have it. My only concern was the error I received on boot, but it still booted, so I guess it should be fine. Thanks for the input! Now to run some benchmarks. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 21st, 2021 20:00

"My only concern was the error I received on boot, but it still booted, so I guess it should be fine."

That's odd, that hasn't come up in the R8 before.  Maybe its the latest bios update.  You can try moving the single wire tach from PUMP to CPU_FAN and see if that clears the error.  That clears the error in with the H60 in the R11.  

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2021 06:00

This is the error I receive. I will switch it to CPU header and see what happens.Error.jpg

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2021 08:00

Yeah, I can see that's really annoying and they no longer have the tab in bios to turn off this alert so you're stuck seeing it at every boot unless it's cleared. 

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2021 15:00

So I connected it to the CPU header and still received the same error. I ran diagnostics and received errors for all three fans. I believe the issue is that the target RPM is not being met and bios doesn't like that? I plugged in the stock Dell fan and RPM met the threshold and passed.

From the attachment, you can see that the target RPM is 3300 with a tolerance of 20%, and the fans are staying below that. Results for the Pump fan had a target RPM of 800 and the pump ran significantly over that. I'm sure this has been mentioned in other posts, but I figure I would throw it up here. Either way, I ran a benchmark, and temps stayed within good range, so fans are doing what they're supposed to do.

RPM.jpgPump RPM.jpg

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2021 15:00

Yeah, I know the error, and a lot of people have done this upgrade.  But you're the first to still get the mandatory error pop up during every boot after connecting as noted above (the F12 ePSA built in diagnostics is a separate issue and will show more errors/issues than the boot messages). 

Just to be clear, you bought the Corsair ML120 Pro without lights? (no LED and no RGB, both the RGB and LED versions throw errors)

Also, since you mention getting two of them, FYI that this 2-pack for example is not the ML120 Pro, and it will throw a fan error in the R8:  https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-2-Pack/dp/B01G5I6MRK/ 

10 Posts

January 22nd, 2021 16:00

Correct, non led, I bought 2 separate fans, it was not a combo. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G5I6O4Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

No Events found!