Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

29 Posts

January 13th, 2010 14:00

Here is some more info I thought I'd add to this thread for those interested. When the computer is exhibiting the problem, go into command center, thermal controls area. Select either the Auto or Manual control and toggle them back and forth a fews times by hitting the apply button. That seems to reset something in the system and the fans and temp read outs will go back to normal operation. At least it has been working for me the past couple of days.

44 Posts

January 14th, 2010 10:00

I have the same problems too. Installing the new software versions helped a little but did not resolve the problems with are still prevalent after a cold boot. The problems often correct themselves after a warm boot.

It is a bit dissapointing when you pay $4k for a system however other than this minor software glitch the machine is fantastic so I will be patient and wait for Dell to resolve the issue. My past experiences with Dell and these types of issues has been very positive.

Regards, Roy Berger

Alberta, Canada

2 Posts

January 15th, 2010 06:00

We also have this issue, but it turned extremely bad.

Dell sent a local tech to the house to replace a board. He walked in and said that he had never even seen an alienware and had gotten certified on the Internet. Needless to say he made things worse. He tried forscing the Top Louvers open by hand and broken the automatic cover for the DVD drive (oh we have the Area 51 ALX). When he left he said that he would talk with his boss and see if he knew anything. Sense then we have been back and fourth with Dell about getting the system replaced. They keep telling us that the case is being reviewed, gee........ it has been 3 weeks.

If we do not hear anything from them today then I guess it is time to call in the Lawers, $6k may not be much to some but it is to us.

Don't understand this, we have always had nothing but Dells and finally saved up enough for the Big guns and they treat you like the plague.

Tony

6 Posts

January 15th, 2010 07:00

Hello All!

Since December 2009 i own an Aurora ALX with the same "fan boost / Lighting" problems as described before.

Most of the time i just restart the PC but those problems should just not occur with an 2.5K€ computer....

Strange IMO is the fact  that the problem started maybe 2 weeks after the first "start-up" of the computer....Maybe some automatic update which messed up the command center?

Additionally, the thermal control for the "venting flaps" seems not logic to me (maybe its just a translation error, i run the german version):

• The description of the checkbox for the automatic mode says (in German): "Open flaps when system fan is above 50%" (the percentage is adjustable)
  • When i activate this automatic mode, the flaps stay "half open" all the time.
  • It is only possible to let them stay closed by changing to manual mode.

Is it meant to be like this? (Automatic mode ranging only from half to full open?)

Or is there something i understood/did wrong?

IMO they should stay completely closed in automatic mode until the system fan reaches the selected percentage....!?

Greetings from Germany,

Christian

244 Posts

January 15th, 2010 07:00

The problem you're experiencing  is documented at Dell and they're working on it according to the Alienware Tech Support team in Costa Rica.  I spoke with them twice about this.  There's a Windows 7 x64 driver compatibility problem with the Command Center software and the I/O board where comms are periodically lost after restarts or coming out of sleep mode.  On my Area-51 this occurs several times a week and when it does I show an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager for the I/O board (USB).

The fix is to uninstall Command Center, reboot, reinstall Command Center (version from Dell Support, not Resource CD), shutdown PC and remove power chord for 30 seconds, restart and the system is restored to normal function.  You'll note there is no longer an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager.  This stays stable for a while but after a day or so the I/O Board (USB) will end up getting lost when coming out of sleep or restarting and I have to go through the uninstall/reinstall scenario again.  A real pain, but Dell are supposedly working on a fix.

For Chris M - can you confirm a fix is indeed in the works?

Chris and All:

I recognize my Command Center problem was not the same as the predominant issue discussed in this thread, but FWIW, the new CC version seems to have cured my problem.  Since installing the update I re-enable Sleep Mode and have cycled in/out at least 10 times without the dreaded "Unknown USB Device" showing up in Device Manager.  All is operating smoothly with no Command Center problems at all.  Lighting and fans are all working as advertised.

I would like to see, however, that a feature be added to automatically close the louvers when in sleep mode (or during shutdown) to help keep dust out while the box is not in use.  Has this been suggested officially with Dell Engineering?

44 Posts

January 15th, 2010 09:00

The vents should shut down when the system is turned off and stay down until the selected percentage. This is part of the problems people are experiencing and seeming due to faults in the command center software. If you scroll through the posts Dell engineers say that they are testing yet another updated version of the softare and expect to release it shortly.

I am certain they will get the problems resolved. In the meantime I am enjoying this fabulous machine.

Greeting from Canada.

Roy Berger

44 Posts

January 16th, 2010 14:00

Chris I presume the version being tested is an update to the A05 version that does not work, please confirm.

In addition would you please post to this thread when it has been released so that we will get the email notification.

Thanks

Roy Berger

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 16th, 2010 17:00

I will have to check on Monday to find out what version they are testing. Yes.

44 Posts

January 20th, 2010 10:00

I will have to check on Monday to find out what version they are testing. Yes.

So what did you find out? How is the testing going? Are they going to release the new version of the Command Center software anytime soon.

Roy Berger

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 20th, 2010 12:00

In todays meeting she said they are still working through some issues.

9 Posts

January 20th, 2010 12:00

I just received my replacement Area 51 ALX and the fans and lights work pefectly. When i power on the computer all the lights come on and fans stay quiet and run at normal speeds, not at full speed like before. Also when i shut down the computer all the lights go off including the lights on the front unlike before where the front lights would stay on even when the computer is switched off.

So as there have been no new software updates it means it must have been faulty hardware which was causing the fan and light problem with my first Area 51. The problem obviously isn't the command center so people that are experiencing the fan and lights problem should either replace their computers or call an engineer out because it looks like it's a hardware fault with the computer not a software problem with the command center. So don't bother waiting for an update for the command center because that isn't going to fix your problem.

44 Posts

January 20th, 2010 13:00

I just received my replacement Area 51 ALX and the fans and lights work pefectly. When i power on the computer all the lights come on and fans stay quiet and run at normal speeds, not at full speed like before. Also when i shut down the computer all the lights go off including the lights on the front unlike before where the front lights would stay on even when the computer is switched off.

So as there have been no new software updates it means it must have been faulty hardware which was causing the fan and light problem with my first Area 51. The problem obviously isn't the command center so people that are experiencing the fan and lights problem should either replace their computers or call an engineer out because it looks like it's a hardware fault with the computer not a software problem with the command center. So don't bother waiting for an update for the command center because that isn't going to fix your problem.

What is the version of the command center software on your system? What is the version of BIOS on your system?

Roy Berger

244 Posts

January 20th, 2010 14:00

The problem you're experiencing  is documented at Dell and they're working on it according to the Alienware Tech Support team in Costa Rica.  I spoke with them twice about this.  There's a Windows 7 x64 driver compatibility problem with the Command Center software and the I/O board where comms are periodically lost after restarts or coming out of sleep mode.  On my Area-51 this occurs several times a week and when it does I show an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager for the I/O board (USB).

The fix is to uninstall Command Center, reboot, reinstall Command Center (version from Dell Support, not Resource CD), shutdown PC and remove power chord for 30 seconds, restart and the system is restored to normal function.  You'll note there is no longer an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager.  This stays stable for a while but after a day or so the I/O Board (USB) will end up getting lost when coming out of sleep or restarting and I have to go through the uninstall/reinstall scenario again.  A real pain, but Dell are supposedly working on a fix.

For Chris M - can you confirm a fix is indeed in the works?

Chris and All:

I recognize my Command Center problem was not the same as the predominant issue discussed in this thread, but FWIW, the new CC version seems to have cured my problem.  Since installing the update I re-enable Sleep Mode and have cycled in/out at least 10 times without the dreaded "Unknown USB Device" showing up in Device Manager.  All is operating smoothly with no Command Center problems at all.  Lighting and fans are all working as advertised.

I would like to see, however, that a feature be added to automatically close the louvers when in sleep mode (or during shutdown) to help keep dust out while the box is not in use.  Has this been suggested officially with Dell Engineering?

Unfortunately, my problem has returned. :(  Several times a week the PC will wake from sleep and I'll have the dreaded "Unknown USB Device" message in the System Tray.  Only way to fix this is to do the uninstall/reinstall drill with Command Center.

So... still waiting on a version of CC that corrects the problem.  If I disable "Sleep" everything works flawlessly, which is how I'm leaving the system now.  Would love to see a fix soon so I can get back to enabling sleep mode.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2010 16:00

Awsome! I will just call to get a new system then. Tyvm to the community. I didn't felt alone in this adventure :)

9 Posts

January 20th, 2010 16:00

I have the latest version of the command centre and BIOS. I also had the latest version of both on my old system that wasn't working properly that's why it looks highly likely that is a hardware issue rather than a software issue. My new replacement Area 51 works perfectly now so obviously Dell/Alienware have found out what hardware component or components are causing the problem and sorted it.

No Events found!