Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 1st, 2017 01:00

AREA 51 uefi and bios versions

I did a reinstall of windows after replacing my mother board.  It ( the MB) came version 1 and bios AO3.

After windows install, I did the drivers and some applications, then proceeded to update the bios 1 at a time to A08.

All the while, mind you, the uefi bootmanager is all in manual at each restart.(f12).   2 things I notice.. The  bios says bios vers. A03.   I tried to run Bios update A04 to see if it would let me but windows says it cannot open the file(exe). Vers A08 seemed to be more willing but since I was sure I updated to A08 b4 the win 10 install, I did't go any farther than to see what the dialogues would tell me if I tried them.  #2  thing I notice is since uefi boot mode option is greyed out, I went to advanced startup, troubleshooting, and change the "uefi firmware settings". I've done this last week,

so I was expecting the last blue admin screen to be the one that says "enable uefi boot" . But this never happened, it took me directly to the bios where the options are still greyed out.  Weird how both of these indications happens after my new MB and a clean windows 10 install.   Last week these updates were without a hitch and changing the boot mode to allow uefi was elementary.   Anybody else have experience here? 

August 1st, 2017 02:00

Hi dbrewster.

is the BIOS for your new Board locked with Admin Password again? if yes, remember the Password Jumper on the Motherboard? turn off your System and use the Jumper to unlock the BIOS Settings.

regarding BIOS Update: you don't have to Update the BIOS one by one. here is how i did it with no Issues:

A01 > A03 > A08 > A10 > A11. so you can skip some of them.

August 1st, 2017 09:00

no. it is probably still BIOS A03. it didn't take the new BIOS Version. it is a known Issue with A51 Motherboard. what can help sometimes is Clear CMOS / Power Drain. try this:

disconnect all Cables including Power Cord.

remove the Coin Cell Battery from the Motherboard.

hold Power On Button for a Minute.

put the Battery back in.

now Default BIOS Settings will load after you turn on your PC.

enter BIOS (F2) and go to Boot Options

- Legacy Mode = Disabled

- Secure Boot = Enabled

- Install Secure Boot Key (hit Enter, click Yes)

- Boot Option #1 = Windows Boot

- all other Boot Options = Disabled

now Boot into Windows and try to Flash the BIOS A08 again.

209 Posts

August 1st, 2017 09:00

Well b4 I reinstalled windows, as I clicked on advanced startup options (first restart for menu) I noticed a brief popup window indicating an error, It was very fast because thew computer was rebooting.. but it said this program did not start correctly,  "uefi..param..).   so I thought the same thing and did the password jumper. No Good so I reinstalled windows.

I haven't seen the error message again but it still isn't letting me get to the firware options for uefi boot. Il do it again, with the password jumper.

I meant to convey that the number of the bios in the bios screen did not change to 4 or 8.(the last update I flashed to);

And launching a04 the wiondows message is it cannot open a04.  But will opewn a08 (reflash same version?)

So I believe the bios is a08. 

209 Posts

August 1st, 2017 10:00

Ill try that .   

209 Posts

August 1st, 2017 15:00

Well I did all that, reset pw, reset cmos. Boot no options for uefi firmware(still manual select in f12).

Even reentered the advanced startup firmware pages. Last page never shows up toallect ALLOW uefi boot options.

It just goes right to the bios, where it is still greyed out.

The bios isn't updating either. At least I see the numbers aren't changing in the bios main page  or the system info page.

August 1st, 2017 16:00

and what about BIOS Update? did it take Version A08?

i don't get how it can be grayed out. all Options should be available after Clear CMOS. maybe you placed the Password Jumper wrong last Time you used it?

209 Posts

August 1st, 2017 22:00

It still does not indicate any changes to the bios version.  I did the pw jumper twice.  smos jumper once. Power drain with coin cell removed once. (once).  All is greyed out for boot mode/secure boot/  bios says vers    a03.

August 2nd, 2017 02:00

now we tried everything. your BIOS Chip does not accept any Changes whatsoever. it is stuck.

you will not like what i tell you now. your Board / BIOS Chip is probably damaged.

like i said, it is a known Issue with this Board. here is the latest Example:

209 Posts

August 4th, 2017 19:00

Guess what worked for enable uefi.  In bio page for BOOT  I hit f9 3 times,   rebooted and all the options were available.

Still the bios will not update so they are sending a tech with the MB this time.  

August 5th, 2017 02:00

that is really weird. Clear CMOS should have done this for you.

i have to say that i'm impressed by Dell Support so far. this is the third Board Replacement for you and the two faulty  Boards before  were actually not Dells Fault.  Thumbs Up really.

post again after the Tech replaced the Board. i would like to know what happened.

209 Posts

August 5th, 2017 10:00

I bought the first 2 , The tech sent them to me after he agreed I fried it.

Sent to you from "DavesDragonLaptop"

1 Attachment

August 5th, 2017 12:00

OMG.... i didn't know that. well that was not cheap i guess.

Man you went through alot of Stuff with your A51 lately. the dead CPU is such a rare Thing and now this BIOS Chip Problem. i kinda feel sorry for you. i hope the Tech can finally fix your System.

209 Posts

August 5th, 2017 12:00

Y no big deal,  I told him about trying the 6900k  upgrade..mayB they would have sold me one, but  I had already bought one.  Weird  how that never worked. then the second attempt after I was working correctly with the 5930k.

Those @##@   motherboards are 600.00!

209 Posts

August 9th, 2017 13:00

The site technician was here. Del and installed 

MB . It came with A12. UEFI was not greyed out. 

I was able to get 2667 MHz memory, just with

xmp enable, nice. I wonder now ( MayB try later)

manually set 2400 MHz, I never tried selecting from that drop down  list of memory speeds with 

any success. Also got cpu at 3900 and multipliers

are 43/42.  Offset voltage control. All in auto.!

A narrow escape from my cpu upgrade excursion.    

August 10th, 2017 03:00

finally great News. i am glad everything is working now.

DRAM Frequency Settings work for me with no Issues. i picked 2666 Mhz from the List. otherwise my A51 would restart two Times after Cold Boot.

my CPU is running at 4,0 GHz. i tried to Overclock the CPU and got it working at 4,3 GHz @ 1.28v. unfortunately i didn't like the Temperatures so i turned off Manual OC for now.

after watching you doing the Swap i have no Interest to mess with my A51 at all. the A51 Motherboard is the most fragile Board i've ever seen in my Life.

No Events found!