Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2016 17:00

Alienware 14 - Post Windows 10 Freeze, then automatic restart

Hi,

Ever since I had upgraded my Alienware 14 to Windows 10, I've been having major problems with it. I've been experiencing  freezing issue, which eventually leads to forced automatic restart.

Symptom initially arise when I am running the laptop off from the battery, but now it seems it also affects it when I am running it off from AC. At certain point, I couldn't even login into Windows 10.

I had tried reinstalling Windows 10 through their ISO, but to no avail. I am now in the process of reformatting the drive, and reinstalling. All the drivers are at their latest, but I am having trouble installing Commander Center. Tried turning off Win 8 Fast Boot, and Secure Boot off, and even Legacy Boot instead of UEFI, to no avail. I'm running out of options.

Any suggestions?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 7th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system to check the main hardware components, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

327 Posts

January 8th, 2016 09:00

i thought that your mean problem is the intel HD driver... i had to quicly enter on MSCONFIG and set a safe mode boot, later with safe mode reboot i was able to install the lastest driver for my intel HD graphic. And my problem was solved :)

8 Posts

January 8th, 2016 17:00

Hi there,

I had used the ePSA test on the system prior, and everything seems to be in check. I ended up giving up, and just reformatted the drive containing the two usable partition by windows (complete system wipe on all partition minus the recovery partitions), and now everything 'seems' to be in check. I need to test it more longer to be sure.

If I had any suspicions, it may be that I had installed the latest Intel HM87 Chipset Driver from the Dell support for Win 10, as I had installed that driver everytime except for this one. I will monitor how it is and will report my findings possibly in a week. If there has been no response from me for over a week, consider the problem solved.

327 Posts

January 9th, 2016 09:00

re-install the driver from Dell

No Events found!