Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2016 18:00

Alienware 17 2014 r2 model not quite powerfull

Yeah hello this is my first time posting something in this forum so please bare with me.

So a week ago i bought an used alienware laptop

I saw the specs of this computer and thought it was enough powerful to run league of legends csgo but i was wrong so im here to ask for help because this laptop cant even run csgo at 60 on any settings and i find it very strange.

Alienware 17

Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4 GHz

16 gb of ddr3

Intel Hd graphic 4600 and Geforce gtx 770m

I have updated every driver with the auto system detect from dell and installed all the drivers

i have also installed GeForce experience and i made sure I'm using the dedicated gpu from the nvidia control panel. I don't know if maybe the bios isn't right or maybe this laptop isn't really powerful. I have also put the battery to be on performance. Something that really bothers me is that even on low i can't play any game at a 60 fps, i only get about 45 on csgo.

I left a report of cpu-z for every info.

I also did a full scan of my computer. My battery doesn't work and i get a pci express statut no device on my gpu

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 26th, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Try running a video card stress test. Follow the steps below to do this.

• Open Support Assist
  • Click on the Checkup option
  • Click Run Custom Scan
  • Click on the Nvidia/AMD card
  • Select the Stress Test option

If you do not have Support Assist installed, click here for the download link. Let me know how high the GPU temperature goes in the stress test. 

September 27th, 2016 14:00

it passed the test but the fps were at 35 never above 40

i did the stress test not the cuda

here's a picture of gpu-z: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/09/27/3fp.png

September 28th, 2016 11:00

So my graphic card isn't using all it's power i think because i never get above 40fps 

i have a geforce gtx 770m 3gb

i7 4700mq 2.5ghz

16gb of ddr3 ram

I did a stress test and my gpu passed but while it was in the stress test it never got above 40fps

Even small title like league lag

i already changed my graphics card to be played on high performance nvidida processor in my the nvidia control pannel and i launch game with my gpu

im posting a picture of me playing csgo while gpu-z and cpu-z showing my graphics card stats

3.9K Posts

September 28th, 2016 14:00

If you're able to on that system, disable Optimus, as at best it hurts performance a little bit, and at worst it makes things unstable.  My M17x-R4 allows you to disable it, but unfortunately I'm not sure that's the case with Alienware's notebooks now.

Make sure you're running the newest drivers from Nvidia.com, go through their selector thing, and be sure to pick your correct OS.  You mentioned updating Geforce Experience, but I'm not quite sure what that means, as you download the driver from nvidia.com, and Geforce Experience is part of that (or not, since apparently Dell's having Nvidia hide it now...but anyway the drivers work fine).

Beyond that, that GPU looks like it's maybe 2/3 as powerful as my GTX 680m (or thereabouts) and I'd assume it would run that game fine, although possibly not maxing it out.  Might need to play with settings, and sometimes games have settings that cut performance in half with no visible difference in graphical quality, stuff like that.  My 680m is probably roughly like the Playstation 4's GPU, and so far as I know can run everything out today with pretty high settings.

Oh, and disable AA.  IMO it doesn't do much at high resolutions but cuts in to fill rate a lot, so that's one thing to try (unless you're already getting super high frame rates so have power to spare).  40fps might be just fine for a game though...I mean that's high, depending on the game and settings.  I have no idea about League of Legends though.  Closest I've run is Blizzard's equivalent which I played for a few hours, and which ran at 1080p pretty close to maxed out on my 680m.

314 Posts

September 28th, 2016 14:00

go to nvidia control panel and add the specific game and force the system to use dedicated gpu. older games, nvidia does not automatically add them. so poor fps is due to system using the intel integrated gpu.

you don't have to disable optimus.

October 1st, 2016 02:00

I uninstalled all my drivers, and manually installed them instead of using geforce experience, and my gpu now works great, i think it didnt had the right OS. Thanks alot

No Events found!