Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 26th, 2016 12:00

Alienware 17 CPU temps very high

Hi all,

My Alienware 17 is having thermal problems with its CPU - it is idling >40C and as soon as I switch Prime95 it is hitting >90C. The CPU in question is an i7 4800MQ, and it is the 2013 model of the machine.

Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 26th, 2016 13:00

Yes, that is pretty hot. I think max for the CPU is 100c.

Have you tried cleaning it inside? Also, checking that all the fans are still turning and that the heat-sink is still screwed-down securely?

November 26th, 2016 15:00

The rate at which the overheating is occurring suggests to me that there is a poor contact between the chip and the cooling system. Is this a known issue?

35 Posts

November 26th, 2016 17:00

I have seen it before where malware can cause such problems.  If hardware being loose is not a plausable cause then you might see what you can find.  Verify all OS files and GPU as well.  Good luck

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 26th, 2016 22:00

1. The rate at which the overheating is occurring suggests to me that there is a poor contact between the chip and the cooling system.

2. Is this a known issue?

1. Could be, but I would check for dust and fans first.

2. Not that I know of however I think all laptops with a nice Intel-i7 run hot. That's just the way it is inside that little box.

On my Lenovo, if I run Prime95 or OCCT (PowerSupply Test) and get all cores to 100% utilization ... after a while it reaches 75c ...but not over that. I've asked around and googled at that is normal for this work-load.

No Events found!