Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2013 23:00

Alienware 17-R1: Upgrading to SSD

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my Alienware 17 from 750 BG HDD with 64 GB SSD Cache to a 256 GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD and use the SSD as boot drive of Windows 8.

I have gone through lot of pages, forums etc etc and saw options of Alienrespawn, Shrink Volume for cloning. Clean installation etc.... But now I am confused :D..... My main target is

1. Use SSD as WIN 8 boot drive with all drivers & themes, wallpapers & other factory softwares.

2. 750 GB hdd with 64 GB SSD Caching to use as storage. (Now how to do the caching configuration, I am doubtful)

I am ready to do a clean installtion, but I dont want to loose any themes or softwares which comes with stock alienware. Also I want optimum SSD Performance.

It will be really helpful If I get any assistance. Thanks in advance.

• 

2.7K Posts

October 14th, 2013 08:00

Hello Sandy575!

You can install windows in the 2.5 SSD you just have to select it when it asks you were you wanted to install windows.

Then the alienrespawn is like a factory image created in the original HDD that came with the system, so if you run it, it will take the system to the original stated with the drivers and the software that was preinstall on your computer.

If you need the windows 8 dvd you can send us a PM with you service tag to check if there is something that we can do to send it to you.

And on regard to the caching device, when you reinstall windows the configuration might be lost, however on this article you will find how to enable it again and yes you can add an SSD on the empty slot. 

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 14th, 2013 06:00

Hi sandy575,

Clean installing the Operating system on the SSD drive will make you lose all the settings which came with the computer. You may register your computer in My Dell Downloads and download everything which was preinstalled at the factory.

Steps to install the Operating system on the mSATA drive.  :

• Power on the computer and press F2 button on the Dell logo
  • Using right arrow key,highlight Advanced option
  • Using down arrow key, Highlight Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology and press Enter
  • Press Enter on iRST Support and Disable it
  • Press ESC button to go back to previous menu
  • Highlight the Boot option and take the boot drive(For example CD/DVD) to first priority using the +/- keys on keyboard
  • Press Enter on Hard Drive and make the mSATA drive first boot priority
  • Press F10 to save changes and exit
  • Press F12 on Dell logo and Insert the Operating system media into the optical drive
  • Highlight the CD/DVD drive and press Enter to boot from the installation media
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to install the operating system
  • Ensure that you install the operating system on the mSATA drive at the drive selection screen

Once the operating system is installed install the drivers in the given order. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:

http://dell.to/14Xsnmd

Revert for further queries.

16 Posts

October 14th, 2013 06:00

Thanks a lot for your reply, first of all I want to install Win 8 in the 2.5 '' SSD, not in the 64 GB msata. Sorry If I was not clear.

My second thought is using Alien Respawn. Can I use it to get all the stuffs (OS & Drivers & other applications) ? 

Thirdly, If I use clean installation then where can I get the media of Windows 8 ? 

My last question about the SSD Caching. After successful install of the windows 8, if I format the 750 GB HDD then will the caching configuration will remain intact with the 64 GB ssd cache, or do I need to configure again . If so how to do it?

And one more thing :) Can I put the SSD in SLOT 1 (empty slot) ? Any preference ?

16 Posts

October 14th, 2013 09:00

Thanks a lot. I will PM you with my service tag and will try as suggested by you. Will keep posted here.

16 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 12:00

Just an update here: I have switched to Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB SSD as my boot drive. I made it by cloning the 750 GB HDD by using Samsung Disk Migration. I kept the 750 HDD unplugged later and formatted in my other lappy. Then I reinserted it.

Everything worked fine, but if I enable AHCI mode then 64 GB MSATA SSD was unable to be identified in the system. Later I switched to RAID.

Now everything is blazing fast :D:D 

1 Message

November 1st, 2014 17:00

One question. Did you copy all the programs when you cloned it?

March 7th, 2015 13:00

" the alienrespawn is like a factory image created in the original HDD that came with the system, so if you run it, it will take the system to the original stated with the drivers and the software that was preinstall on your computer."

so will the original state be installed to the hdd or the ssd

No Events found!