Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2017 04:00

Alienware 17 R4 --> 95+degrees celcius --> 32ram, feforce 1080

Greetings

I recently acquired ( 1 month ago ) the above mentioned laptop.

I noticed when playing games like watchdogs2, whicher3 and all the good stuff,  the the temperature went over 95 degrees which in my opinion is not normal... I'm using an external keyboard just because of the heat coming out of the integrated keyboard is unconformable... (and it is winter time where i live, what will it be in the summertime??? )

i installed all recommended software updates and bios updates from the dell site, without success.

I'm  using a laptop cooling pad also without success. I am very disappointed atm, and don't know what else to do. On many forums everyone tells me to re-paste but i don't posses the skills nor the nerve to do so, and quite frankly it is not my task to... I have paid a great amount of money for this laptop...

Kind regards.

Kenneth

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 20th, 2017 17:00

Hi,

Send me a private message with the service tag, so I can assist further. 

1 Rookie

• 

105 Posts

January 20th, 2017 18:00

My advice is to make sure you buy a warranty and then when it fries you will get it repaired.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 20th, 2017 19:00

My advice is to make sure you buy a warranty and then when it fries you will get it repaired.

Exactly. My advice as well.

And that's any laptop these days ... Dell, HP, Lenovo, Apple, etc. Especially since everything is soldered-in on UltraBooks. Ultrabook motherboards are $500 and up.

For desktops, it's your choice (since most desktop motherboards are still pretty cheap).

757 Posts

January 21st, 2017 04:00

There is in BIOS, for the R2 13 inch laptop, a setting for gaming in reference to the fan.

Not sure if your model has the setting or some other means of turning it on but at least look into BIOS for the gaming fan setting. It rev's the fans to max and it is a bit loud and annoying to have to enter BIOS to turn it on or off.

I have since installed HWinfo64 to easily set fan control from its software.

alienwareusersupport.weebly.com/unofficial-aw-fan-control.html

314 Posts

January 21st, 2017 08:00

ask for system exchange. all due to cheap thermal paste.

18 Posts

January 21st, 2017 10:00

i wsh now that i would have not bought an alienware laptop ^^

18 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 03:00

So I reinstalled the bios software, and managed to get the temp to 90°C which is still high tho...

February 4th, 2017 09:00

You need to undervolt your cpu. Did this yesterday and saved more than 10C (96 to 78!) Use intel Extreme Tuning Utility

No Events found!