Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2016 13:00

Alienware 17 no post- GTX 860m w/i7-4710mq

So I have an Alienware 17 running 8 gigs of ram and as the title says GTX 860m w/ an i7-4710mq

I shutdown this computer yesterday, nothing odd going on, went off to bed, woke up this morning and it wont even post - doesn't even get to the alien screen. I went ahead and started the trouble shooting and have confirmed now that it will get to the bios, momentarily, and attempt to boot under the following condition only:

Both my SSD and HDD have to be removed.

With that done it will let me boot into bios for a little, before automatically restarting, So I decided to run past bios to boot menu to run diag, and starts to run, shuts down, and then reboots again. I have noted the models that are currently having the issue fixable with pliers, but it seems mine is not one of these models. At this point I'm about to say its a write off on the mobo, but I just want to be 100% sure so I figured I'd confer with the community. This laptop is about a year old and I've constantly had issues with it stopping charging due to what their techs said was "static electricity build up in the battery, and to disconnect and do a power drain" which I've had to do weekly for the entire time I've owned it. That being said, could this have been a contributing factor?

Right now I've reseated and pasted the processor, took out the networking card, both HD's remain out for now. I am taking the GPU out as I type, and I will see if it boots fine with on board.

Thanks for any help in advance guys.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Does the computer make any beep sound, or does it just stay on a solid black screen?

Do the Num Lock and Caps Lock light turn on and off if you press it?

Once you put everything back together, try this:

• Hold down the “Fn” key and press the power button. It should start running the built in diagnostics. Let me know if you get any errors.
  • Hold down the “D” key and press the power button. The screen should start changing colors, let me know if that happens.

5 Posts

June 14th, 2016 16:00

Finally did get the boot directly to Diag with the FN key, same story as going through bios, shuts down shortly after

5 Posts

Update - I have taken the HD and plugged it in via usb - and it is running post and attempting boot up, but blue screens on windows loading screen. it reboots after. way to fast to even make out the *** message. Then just keeps rebooting form there, getting shorter and shorter between reboots.

5 Posts

No beep codes, no odd sounds, none of the 3 lights do anything. I have also tried the Fn key down and the D down as well - not a thing happening,  lights just go off and then reboots and back on - like 5-10 cycles.

HOWEVER if I take the HDD and the SSD back out and do the same - FN nothing happens - just goes to can't find HD and reboots itself, if I do D it comes up with a white screen, then turns backlit black, then it reboots. Without either HD in I can only access the Bios for a brief moment before it restarts.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 09:00

Thank you for the update. Please send me your Service Tag through a personal message so we can review your case.

5 Posts

June 15th, 2016 09:00

After sleeping on it, I've decided that it has to be a power distribution issue. I don't have a multi-meter handy but now when I plug in the charger it doesn't light up, battery connected or not.

No Events found!