Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2015 10:00

Alienware 18 Charger Randomly Disconnects during gameplay

I re-edited the post to make it as clear as possible:

I realized my charger is disconnecting randomly during gameplay, the things that are happening right now are:

1. Battery Icon in TaskBar is showing that im on battery and the charger isn't connected at all.
  2. While im playing a game, I realize im going from a smooth 60+ FPS to 21 to 40 FPS.
  3. Whenever 2 is occuring, I hurry to my Desktop to check if the charger is disconnecting, but suprisingly, its still connected. This is before the Charger disconnects by itself.
  4. It only happens after an hour of gaming, when the laptop's CPU or GPU has warmed up from the games. Average Temp whenever this problem is occuring is around 60-70C degress, which is quite normal for me.
  5. Dust has accumulated a little bit into the Charger Socket in the laptop, I think this is one of the cause of the problem.
  6. I check if the PowerBrick itself is losing power, nope, Light is glowing solid.

I need help, this laptop was bought from a retail store, not from Dell/Alienware themselves, so the Store Warranty is now void(Just 1 month store warranty).

UPDATE: I think I know the exact thing that makes it happen, I had my Charger plugged into an extension cable, when I took the charger off there and plugged it directly to the wall, the problem never happens anymore, except that the battery wont charge to 100% anymore and getting stuck at 99%.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 12:00

Hello, 

There are a few procedures you can try for this problem. First, if you click on the battery icon (in the taskbar), there may be an option called Desktop mode (this will only show if you have Windows 8.1). Disable this option if it is enabled. Also, if you do not have Bios A10 installed, click here for the download link.

You could also try a power drain. To do this, disconnect all cables and external devices from the system first (including the power cord). Then press and hold the power button on the system for 1 minute. After doing this, connect everything again and turn on the system. Let us know how it goes.  

August 6th, 2015 00:00

The laptop BIOS was updated to A10 about a month ago after a previous problem occured, I am also on Windows 8.1.

But I am concerned about the Power Drain bit, as you told me to just disconnect anything thats connected, and hold it for a minute, but in other topics regarding Power Draining, they said I have to remove everything as well as the battery, and I don't know how to remove the Battery and if its even safe to do so.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 6th, 2015 10:00

You're right, the battery needs to be removed as well for this procedure. I'm sorry I didn't mention that. First you need to remove the bottom cover. To do this, remove the 3 screws located above the vents, they are securing the front bottom door in place (you do not need to remove the other 2 screws above).

After you remove the bottom cover, you will see the battery on the top middle section of the system. There is black cable coming off the battery connected to the board, remove it from the board by pulling it gently straight up. Then proceed to remove the two screws securing the battery in place and you should be able to remove the battery after this. Try doing the power drain and let us know how it goes. 

August 7th, 2015 02:00

I just recently did it, first thing I did was naturally drain the battery, and then do the Power Drain, and then charge the laptop again, and I noticed that while playing, I see that my game was going from 60FPS going down to 30FPS, which means the laptop charger has disconnected, but when I look at the battery icon in the Taskbar, the charger is still connected.

And even after the Power Drain, Battery still stops charging at 97%

901 Posts

August 7th, 2015 03:00

Hi, try uninstalling and reinstalling command center and alienware OSD.

Alienware OSD is the software that controls the battery charge and a few other key functions, it has caused battery charging issues in the past but not sure if they where with a AW18.

Make sure to restart your computer after each uninstallation and reinstallation.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 7th, 2015 14:00

Hi, 

Can you check in the Bios under the Advanced section for an option called Battery Health, please confirm what it says next to it? 

August 7th, 2015 19:00

I will try updating OSD since I think the one I have right now isn't even updated at all.

August 7th, 2015 19:00

It says the battery is performing normally, but there are times when it doesn't detect the battery but even though its running on it.

August 7th, 2015 20:00

I also updated the OSD and now im just waiting for results

901 Posts

August 10th, 2015 01:00

Hi, don't update OSD, completely remove it, restart your computer and re-install it, same for command center.

August 20th, 2015 01:00

Hello again, sorry I haven't replied back in a week, I was away from home and didn't bring the laptop with me.

The Charging problem is still occuring

13 Posts

June 20th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

it looks like i have same issue as you on my brand new alienware 15 r2, did you find solution for it ?

No Events found!