Highlighted
R.B.Louis
1 Nickel

Alienware 18 charger randomly failing

Jump to solution

Up until yesterday I had no problems with my Alienware laptop. Then I turned it on and now every few minutes it acts as though the charger has been unplugged even though it hasn't been. There is no error message, no visible problems with the cord or the computer, it just acts like I unplugged it. When I unplug it and plug it back in it fixes the problem, but then it happens again in a few minutes and it just happened now. I don't know if it's a problem with the cord or the computer or if I just messed up a setting somewhere.

Please help?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alienware-Naomi
5 Tungsten

RE: Alienware 18 charger randomly failing

Jump to solution

Hi!

I need you to check a couple of things to help identify the problem:

• Check if the AC adapter light is solid ON or if it flickers or fades out when you connect it to laptop.
  • Make sure you have the latest BIOS A07. Then go into the BIOS (press F2 repeatedly at startup) and check if the AC adapter type says 330W or Unknown. 

Alienware-Naomi
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
R.B.Louis
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The light remains on and solid, and the ac adapter type is 330W.

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Send me a private message with your Service Tag, contact information and link to this thread so I can help you further. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
R.B.Louis
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you, but the problem appears to have resolved itself. If it reoccurs I will be sure to contact you.

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

I'm glad to hear that! If you have any other questions let me know. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Pion2099
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I saw this posting and noticed you mentioned the power light on the adapter fading out, and that's what is currently happening to mine. It seems to happen when I start playing a game, but seems to work fine otherwise. What does the fade mean?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

Hi Pion2099!

If the battery isn't charging or if the AC adapter is not being recognized properly, the fade could indicate a Motherboard failure.

Are there any other performance issues? Check if the AC adapter is being detected correctly in the BIOS and make sure the battery is charging. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Cmacdonald17
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I know this is an old post but I just got my Laptop yesterday day and I seem to be having the same problem.  My LED on the AC adapter will fade and then brighten. It continues to do the the same when it's plugged in and the computer is on and will occasionally turn off completely. The charge icon will flick on and off constantly. The only time it stays solid is when the computer is shut down and charging. It seems to me like the AC adapter is bad. Or could this be something else?

0 Kudos
Pion2099
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It turned out that mine was a fried motherboard. Call dell, they'll run you through some tests, probably send you a replacement AC adapter, and then eventually ask you to send in the laptop.

0 Kudos