Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2016 20:00

Alienware Alpha R2 & Graphics Amplifier & AMD RX 480 - NO SIGNAL! :(

Hi there,

I'm having massive difficulties getting my system to work. I have an Alienware Alpha R2 i7 nvidia 960. I have the graphics amplifier hooked up with an AMD RX 480.

I have tried a multitude of different Nvidia drivers , including no display driver at all trying to get this amplifier to work. When I plug it in with the Alpha on, it prompts me to restart as it detected the amplifier. After reboot, no signal. This is the case with the HDMI display plugged into EITHER the amplifier or the alpha. 

I verified that the video card is seated correctly, it is plugged into power, the fan spins, the light comes on in the amplifier, a white light comes on in the proprietary cable. Everything seems to work, but signal just refuses to display while I have the amplifier plugged in. Please help!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 28th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Try the following suggestions and let me know:

1- Use the AMD driver, for the AMD card.

2- Press Windows Key + P once. If it doesn't work, press it twice, then 3 and 4 times. (This is to force the PC to look for other video outputs).

3- Use the video ports in the Amplifier only. Try other ports (not only hdmi).

4- Try another HDMI cable.

3 Posts

July 28th, 2016 19:00

1 - can't try this as when I attempt to get the AMD driver, it does not install and it cannot detect any AMD hardware (because I don't get signal while the amplifier is plugged in)

2 - Tried this, no dice

3 - Tried this and every other combination. Tried one in alpha, one in amp, one in each, swapped them, never able to provide signal.

4 - used 3 different cables (that I know work)

3 Posts

July 28th, 2016 20:00

I also just reset my Alpha to factory settings and tried again. Still the exact same issue.

6 Posts

July 29th, 2016 13:00

I am having the same problem, trying to find a solution, so far none available, the main issue I believe is the graphics amplifier not recognizing the card as an AMD card, and hence turning it off by default.

can anyone from Dell please assist.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2016 11:00

We'll escalate this with engineering, for them to duplicate the issue.

No Events found!