Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2015 15:00

Alienware Alpha (Steam OS) - Flashing yellow lights

I have an alienware steam machine and today the power button started flashing with a yellow light. Can't find any info about the error except some hints that it might be RAM related. Just received this less than a month ago. Hadn't used it in 2 weeks because I had to rearrange the room where I use it. Today I couldn't get a wired ethernet connection so I was shutting it down to check the cabling and got the flashing yellow light. Guess my next step is to call Dell.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 11:00

I am having the same problem right now; every time the alpha restarts instead of powering back on it flashes yellow 5 times, stops then does it again. Power draining works only sometimes, others times I have to let it sit a couple of hours before it decides to come back on. Contacted Alienware support and they want me to send the computer in for service. Supposedly I'll have it back in about a week. Will update once it comes back so that others with the same problem may know what's up as there seems to be no info on this around the forums.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2016 14:00

I'm having the same problem .. Lights flash yellow 5 times then brief gap then 5 more and repeat.. Machine is 3 weeks old running windows - unplugging overnight seems to work but 'power drain' above doesn't.  

Seems to me to be an underlying hardware issue.. Not acceptable dell!

5 Posts

February 8th, 2016 10:00

I have just gotten the box to ship it to them...will update when it comes back.

If it comes back....

February 8th, 2016 10:00

I just received my box today as well....will update

5 Posts

February 10th, 2016 04:00

Just experienced this problem yesterday for the first time.  Power drain got it going again.  I'll be interested to see what Dell says (if anything) about the machines being sent in for repair. 

February 16th, 2016 05:00

Just received the email it is on its way back! I must admit that was quicker than I thought. I have been tracking the process and unfortunately they did not fill me in on what was the root problem. Just received email saying "your unit is repaired and on its way back"

I don't know, it would have been nice to know what is causing the problem in the first place.

will update further when received.

February 17th, 2016 12:00

Receive it back today and all is working....Fingers crossed!!!

Slip states Main logic board replaced.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2016 06:00

So i contacted Dell through their online chat and after answeing some basic questionsI was sent an email of steps to follow.

1. install latest Bios (mine went from A04 to A04 so no change)

2. try a power drain (worked but as we know only for that one time doesn't resolve issue)

3.test hardware using ePSA diagnostic (no errors were found)

4 use SupportAssistant o run test checkup (again no errors found)

I assume these are the standard tick list trouble shooting options - I did try telling the support guy that it wasn't even posting to Bios and gave him a link to this thread...

...anyway these options haven't resolved so now i've sent the details back and am waiting on next steps from Dell

5 Posts

February 21st, 2016 12:00

Just got my computer back two days ago. As stated above, my slip also said that the main logic board was replaced. Everything seems to be working fine thus far, I've restarted my computer several times and no flashing lights yet, luckily.

Hopefully it never happens again!

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 14:00

This is horrible and mine is doing the same thing.  Just got it and it took over a month to get it..  Will I have any problems returning it and getting my money back.  I really dont want this thing now.

2 Posts

February 25th, 2016 20:00

same problem as above, tried all steps above still doing the same thing. this is very frustrating.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2016 12:00

Same issue with the flashing yellow light and have shipped it backed.  I checked on the status and it is on hold because they are out of parts needed to repair.  Anyone know how long this will take?  I need this Alpha for a winter project and have been trying since late December to have a working Alpha.  Will need to quickly cut my losses on this and move onto something different if this is not resolve in a few days.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 23:00

doogled8, has this been resolved for you? I just ordered an Alpha and now I'm concerned the flashing yellow alien might happen to me.

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 05:00

No, I sent it back for repair and then it get stuck in hold for over a week waiting on a part (needed a new mother board).  They could not give me an approximate date on when part would be in and it was sounding like it could be many more days.  I cancelled the repair and returned it to them. 

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 07:00

Thanks.

It kind of seems like sort of maybe that the early batch had quality control issues. Maybe Dell is sorting that out and causing delays in returns. I hope they are sorting it out- I ordered one.

No Events found!