Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2016 14:00

Alienware Area-51 R2 USB devices constantly disconnecting and connecting again.

Hi,

I have had this issue since I first got my PC where certain USB devices constantly disconnect. This causes Windows 10 to play the disconnect sound and then the connect sound straight afterwards. This will occur every 2 seconds or so.

My mouse, keyboard, Steam Controller and XBox 360 Controllers all work perfectly.

Devices such as a USB Flash Drive, iPod, Phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 and Nexus 6P), USB hub and my webcam all constantly disconnect and connect. Plugging them into my laptop running Windows 10 causes no issues at all.

I have tried removing every USB device and connecting one of these devices only and the problem persists. I have tried all the fixes I found online such as changing the power settings to performance, disabling the selective suspend settings, disabling the device to be powered down to save power etc.

If I leave my webcam plugged in for long enough it eventually gets a warning icon in device manager and states it could not be started or sometimes vanishes totally.

There was another fix that I was never able to try and that is to disable USB 3.0 in the bios. I cannot find any setting to allow this.

Has anyone else encountered this and perhaps found a fix? My next step is to download another OS and try these devices and see what happens. Ubuntu currently downloading so I can give it a try.

I just tried booting into Ubuntu on a flash drive and it failed. I plugged my phone in at the boot select menu and I noticed that it too started charging and then stopped a few times.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

14 Posts

December 12th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I'm currently running A09 which I updated to just before I created this thread but I'll give the beta version a try as soon as I get home... I am abroad at the moment for work and will be back on the 21st.

I'll have a look at the drivers as well but I plugged in a flash drive that has a light on it while at the boot select menu, so not even in an OS, and it lit up for a few seconds and went dark. It then came back on and off again. Repeat. So I don't think this might be a driver issue... I will try though.

I did update all my drivers before posting this, forgot to add that detail.

Thanks, I will update once I can test this.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 12th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

You need to have Windows installed since Ubuntu is not supported. Try installing the latest Bios version here:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

You can also check if there is a USB driver for Win 10 on the Intel website.

If the issue persist send me a private message with the service tag.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 13th, 2016 17:00

Yes, and please update the Bios to the latest version A10

14 Posts

April 4th, 2017 01:00

Hi,

I've been running A10 for a while now, I have checked that it is still the latest and the problem still persists.

The issue seems to be system wide and not isolated to Windows.

I tried to boot into Ubuntu for testing using a bootable flash drive but it too kept disconnecting.

I am unable to see a pattern with the devices that work and don't other than the ones that don't work have larger storage capabilities than the working devices.

Works:

Keyboard (with LEDs)

Mouse (with LEDs)

Wired XBox360 controller

Wireless Steam Controller

External HDD enclosure (dedicated power)

Rocksmith guitar cable

Zoom B3 bass guitar effects pedal (large device that can be powered through USB)

Logitech G35 USB headphones

Doesn't work:

USB flash drive

Webcam

Cellphone (Samsung S4 and Google Nexus 6P)

Apple iPod

I'm out of ideas for this. The only way forward that I can think of is to get a new motherboard as my warranty has expired a while back. It isn't a new issue though, the devices disconnecting happened from when I received the computer but it's never really been an issue until now.

14 Posts

April 4th, 2017 02:00

I'm not usually one for upgrading to the latest socket or chipset so I'll probably wait around for the prices to drop. This issue has been confusing the hell out of me. I wonder if getting a USB hub that uses a second cable for extra power or one that uses external power would help. I'm not even sure it's a power issue as most of my devices appear to need a fair amount of power with all the LEDs and onboard storage.

As is I am getting good performance in all games so there is no rush... other than trying to get my damn webcam working to Skype with my parents. I bought the webcam totally forgetting about my USB issue.

April 4th, 2017 02:00

Bobmugabe wrote:

I'm out of ideas for this. The only way forward that I can think of is to get a new motherboard as my warranty has expired a while back. It isn't a new issue though, the devices disconnecting happened from when I received the computer but it's never really been an issue until now.

new x99 motherboard from Dell is probably very pricey. since you've been waiting with replacement for so long, i would suggest to wait until LGA 2066 Skylake X plattform is out. that way you could fix your machine and it would be a nice upgrade at the same time.

14 Posts

April 4th, 2017 03:00

Yeah, the upgrade option is the best to fix the problem. Fix the problem and get an upgrade at probably the same price or less. But I'll hold off on it for now.

I can sit in BIOS and unplug all my devices. Then plug in my phone or iPod and watch it go on charge and then off and then on again. It will repeat this basically every second. Doesn't matter which USB port I use. It appears to be a hardware issue that I cannot solve.

April 4th, 2017 03:00

the USB ports of the Area 51 R2 can handle alot of stuff. i have a Alien USB lamp, Alien by Cube Works with LEDs, Yoda desktop guard with movement sensors and light sable, USB LED Stripe ,LED equipped Mous and keyboard and a Logitech Webcam connected. not a single issue so far. i don't think it's a Power Issue.

the upgrade suggestion was just an idea. i'm seriously thinking about upgrading myself.

Edit:
your idea with the USB Hub might work. a: it has it's own power source and b; it has it's own controller so it could sort out compatibility issues. just order one from amazon and return it if it's not working.

April 4th, 2017 04:00

yeah. realy odd.

maybe try to find a used mainboard on ebay. a bit risky, i know, but oh well.

14 Posts

April 6th, 2017 02:00

Right. I bit the bullet.

I bought a different motherboard. Also an X99 one. Installed it. USB issues are gone.

All is good once again. Webcam works.

I'll upgrade some other time I guess. Still getting good performance for the time being

awesome!

Great Job.

Where Did You Found One? From Dell?

thanks for the infos regarding the cables. i have to do it myself eventually.

from what i've heard the software is hit or miss. if you can't install the newest command center, try to install the old one from the DVD.

oh and yeah, dust is a b*'ch. no matter how often you clean your space.

14 Posts

Amazon.

It is an Asus board. Same chipset, size and mountings. The ports and pins are in slightly different places though.

My warranty is long gone so I just went with what I know. Made sure the CPU and RAM were supported and away I went.

I will admit that the front panel and front USB cables are too short to reach the pins on the board. So at the moment I am powering on by pressing a button on the motherboard. I have ordered extension cables that are arriving today.

This also gave me a reason to clean out my PC... dust balls hidden throughout the case.

The LEDs on the front of the case still work in the original colour I selected. Haven't put the side panels on. I wonder if I can change the colours when I want to. Would have to see if I can get the software working... I don't even know how the old board interfaced with the case LEDs... I'm happy with the colours anyway so no need to change them

April 6th, 2017 03:00

really great stuff. i'm gonna bookmark this thread for future reference.

I'm excited to hear from you once you're done with the Mod.

14 Posts

April 6th, 2017 03:00

Dust... hate it. In my home country I lived next to a quarry... super fine dust constantly. There was always a thin layer on everything. Since I moved... fluff. It's fluff that gets into my PC. At least it makes balls that I can remove quite easily.

I used to take my father's air compressor and blow the hell out of my PC. Worked like a charm. The pipe was long enough for me to take it outside. I miss that.

It took a lot of searching and talking to guys at work to figure out what I could do about the cables and finding the name for them.

So... 3 sets of cables.

1x USB 3 20 Pin male to female extension cable (Arriving today, will check it is correct)

2x Set of Front panel PWR, RESET, LED, HDD extension cables.

I'm just going to compare the pin layout on my old motherboard and adjust accordingly.

The front audio panel cable can be pulled back and rerouted through a slot (perfect fit) in the back plate and connected in the case of my motherboard.

The bonus is the cables from the front panel circuit board are not fixed/molded/soldered. They have pins. So you can either use an extension on the original cables or if you can manage  to find them, longer replacement cables.

Oh... some of the SATA cables were a bit short. Easy changed with either the existing and unused ones in the case or with ones that come with the motherboard.

No Events found!