Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2014 05:00

Alienware Aurora R4 Command Center temperatures not correct

I've had my PC for a few months now, and have been disappointed with the control center.  I want to set it up so when it reaches a certain temperature, the fans kick up to help cool it off.  The problem is, the temperatures that the control center is reporting are way off from what HWmonitor is reporting.  To me, without accurate temperature reporting, overheating and physical damage is inevitable.  I've tried all the solutions that I could find online, reinstalling .net, etc etc.  with absolutely no change.  My next step is going to be calling tech support, but I fear they won't be able to help fix this, because other places I've read  comments on have mentioned that Dell won't fix this issue.  Would very much appreciate some input, and advice from those in this forum.  Accuracy means everything in electronics, and temperature is a killer.  

PS  I've attached a screenshot with the temperature difference, just for reference.

Thank you in advance.

James

temp diff.jpg

December 8th, 2014 10:00

AW Command Center will give an approximate number on the reading and handle the fans according to it. HWMonitor was developed specifically for that, so you will find more accurate reading there.
Check out this video: www.youtube.com/watch

December 8th, 2014 19:00

I already know this.  There are temperature sensors within the computer that should be accurate, not approximate.  It shouldn't be that hard to write the code for the command center when people do it for microcontrollers every day, and they aren't programmers.  I don't want a run around, I want an answer.  If I had known things would be this sloppy, I would have built my own system for the same price.  From what I've read, there are others complaining about the same thing.  If the control center won't give accurate readings for temperature, how do you expect it to properly cool the internals?  This is just begging for overheating issues and premature hardware failure.  I've had my R4 for a month and a half, and not even a month later, the new area 51 comes out.  Does this unit have better temperature measurement and fan control?  The command center for it doesn't work with the R4, so obviously there were some code changes.  This should be simple stuff for Alienware.  You claim to have the best product for gaming, and hardware wise, it's not bad.....but keeping electronics cool is very important, and if the program doesn't do this, then you fix the program.  If this forum can't help, and I know tech support won't, they'll just make excuses and give me a run around, then I need someone at Dell who can help me....either with a better program or a better computer.   

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 8th, 2014 19:00

1. I want to set it up so when it reaches a certain temperature, the fans kick up to help cool it off.

2. The problem is, the temperatures that the control center is reporting are way off from what HWmonitor is reporting.  

1. You can set a Manual-Curve for HDD-Fan and PCIe Fan. The Radiator-Fan is system controlled (but can be tested in an extreme way).

2. I don't think those Ambient Sensors are in HW-Monitor. Pretty sure they are only reported to MIO-Board/Command Center.

This is from my notes. Different machine and chipset, but should be similar:

A fellow Rockstar that owns an Area-51 posted this once. It should be similar because, like our Aurora R1's ... it is also based on the x58 chipset and MB was built about the same time. It's only a little different (ATX vs mATX).

-------------------------------------------
They ARE NOT the same sensors.

In HWMonitor the motherboard sensors are:

TMPINO = CPU Socket Temp ( Your CPU )
TMPIN1 = Aux Temp ( Your Chipset )
TMPIN2= Motherboard Temp ( Your Motherboad )

FANINO = System Fan ( Your CPU Fan )
FANIN1 = Aux Fan ( You Chipset Fan )

Fans PWN CPU = CPU Cooling Pump
Fans System 1-3 = 3-pin Aux Fan Connectors

These sensors are IMBEDDED IN THE MOTHERBOARD. They are independent of the Alienware Command Center temperature sensors which are located IN THE FRONT PART OF THE CASE.

In Alienware Command Center the ambient sensors are:

Ambient Sensor 1 = Reads the Ambient Temperature located in the front part of the case near HDD Fan just beside PCI Fan - DOES NOT READ ANY TEMPS SEEN IN HWMonitor

Ambient Sensor 2 = Reads the Ambient Temperature  located in the front part of the case near HDD Fan just beside PCI Fan - DOES NOT READ ANY TEMPS SEEN IN HWMonitor

Ambient Sensor 3 = Reads the Ambient Temperature located in the front part of the case behind PCI Fan - DOES NOT READ ANY TEMPS SEEN IN HWMonitor

No Events found!