Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 11th, 2012 22:00

Alienware Aurora R4 Up in smoke

I got a brand new Alienware Aurora R4 on Monday. It ran for about 4 hours where i was migrating data to it. I walked out of the room to make dinner and when I returned the computer was off and would not turn back on. I called tech support and they say it is a bad power supply and scheduled a service call. The next day service has taken 2 days and not here yet. I plugged the system back in where I moved it to let the tech work on it and when I pressed the power button this time a large ball of sparks and flame happened in the case. I pulled out the power cable and let the smoke die down.

My question is, should I get the whole system replaced now? I do not think the sparks I saw can from the power supply since you can not see the power supply while looking into the top of the case. The video card covers it entirely. I guess I will see what the tech sees tomorrow but I would really want to get the whole system swapped at t his point. Almost $1900 for a system that literally caught on fire after 4 hours user.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 12th, 2012 03:00

By all means -- insist on a system exchange.

August 24th, 2012 22:00

Their "Customer" service in India will refuse you a replacement, even if it is only 1 week old, and refuse you a refund.  You will get the run-around (merri-go-round) from tech support to some other department, back to tech support...worst customer service I have ever seen in a company

August 24th, 2012 22:00

best bet is Better Business Bureau and a lawyer

2.3K Posts

August 24th, 2012 23:00

Hi Tonyrward, Dell  Chris M. will be contacting you Monday about this. I am moving this thread to the Alienware forum.

August 25th, 2012 01:00

Why can't Chis M help me with my problem...a week old Aurora R4 that is sitting on my table in the living room because it doesn't work and I have to resort to credit card companies and lawyers to help me out because Dell ruined Alienware and Dell has the worst customer service i have ever seen.  My dream was having an Alienware, and after 10 years, I finally got one, only to have it spoiled.  Yes, computers have problems, but to go through the HEL.L

I have gone through with their customer service...I will seek another computer.  Sad thing is, I am typing this on a 12 year old Dell that has never given me problems.  I have a bad taste in my mouth and I don't think they can do anything to get it out because of their customer service (in India)

3 Posts

August 25th, 2012 05:00

It took me a few days and multiple  hours on the phone with tech support but I finally found someone who pushed through a full system exchange for me. Once that service rep put through the full exchange it took about 7 days to get my new system. I was shipped a brand new computer with the same specs I orders and I returned the burnt up computer in the same box with the pre-paid return label.

I have been running flawlessly on the new Alienware for over a month. Whatever power supply short that existed in the original system that caused the flames and sparks was isolated to that computer.

To date, since receiving the new computer. I have never had a computer preform so well.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2012 05:00

The most surprising aspect of this whole ordeal was that it took me 3 days and countless call before someone understood what "my brand new computer caught on fire and shot out sparks" meant in the context of a computer.

August 25th, 2012 09:00

My problem is,INDIA will not well me what they are going to do, it is an endless merri-go round with them until finally someone tells me in a few days they will call me, which they never do.  What happened to the imaginary 21 Days of full warranty???  I am now seeking out BBB and have talked to my lawyer already.  But need to talk to the credit card company so I can get my money back right away.  Dell and them can play merri-go round.  I am so disgusted with them!!!!

No Events found!