Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 21:00

Alienware Aurora Shutting Down

Hi There,

Yesterday I walked in to the computer room to find that my alienware was off (powered down).  When I attempted to start it the alien light under the power button lit up real fast, I heard a small click inside and then nothing.  The green diagnostic light on hte PSU was not on and the reset button did nothing.  I tried different outlets to no avail.  So, I figured I had a PSU problem and bought and installed a new Corsair 800w PSU.

After installation the system booted just fine, but about half way through the bios load the CPU (back, liquid cooler fan) fan went to 100% (I'm assuming, thermal control center is junk) and stayed there.  After 5 minutes of idling the system shuts down without warning or any error messages.  If I start a graphics intensive game during the 5 minutes of uptime I do have the FPS are WAY low, around 3-7 FPS, and it only lasts about 30 seconds before it shuts down.

I thought I may have a GPU problem so I bought and installed a GTX 560 Ti, to be sure.  It came with a GTX 260.  No change.

Of course, I completely dusted everything, all vents, fans, boards, intakes, everything.  I removed the PCI fan to make sure there was no dust or obstructions.  Cleaned out the back vents.  No change.

I did F12 from bios boot and did Unit Partitician Load and ran diagnostics on all the fans and sensors and everything tested ok.

The problem is the back fan won't stop running at 100% and the system shuts down within 5 minutes of boot.  Also, if I try to restart immediately after a shut down, I will be lucky to even get past a bios load without another shutdown (ie, I have to let the computer sit for a while before getting to Windows again).  As far as I can tell, there is no actual overheating.  This is based on physically observing the heat coming off the CPU/GPU and their fans and on the feedback from command center.

I have started in Safe Mode to see if a program was causing this and there was no change.

Something had to have caused the old PSU to stop working.  It almost seems like the new PSU is causing that back fan to work overtime, but the diagnostic test controlled the fan just fine (down to 0% back to 100% with no problems). 

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with things like this.  It seems like, through my internet research, this is problem somewhat common with alienware Aurora's.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 23:00

The green diagnostic light on hte PSU was not on and the reset button did nothing. 

Yes, that sounds like a bad power supply.

As for the other problems ...

Did you hook up a Molex plug to the MIO-Board?

Did you change any other wiring? Remember that:

- CPU_Pump (Asetek Cooler) pump

- Sys_Fan (Asetek Cooler) radiator or main system fan

- CPU_Fan - No connection

Does MIO-Board check good in Dell Diags (outside of Windows)?

9 Posts

June 24th, 2012 00:00

Yeah, I replaced the factory PSU with a corsair Gs800.  As for the other things you mentioned, other than a jumper reset, I did nothing to the MIO board (outside of switching power cables with the new PSU install).  The connections you mentioned are set as you mentioned.  Unit Partition diags show everything as fine with MIO board.  A strange thing in my fan diags was that it showed the system fan at 0 rpms when It was 4k+ per CC.  I'm currently in the process of uninstalling/reinstalling CC, the problem is i still need to find the latest version and once I do, i need to hope I have enough time to actually dl and install it before me comp shuts down.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2012 01:00

Well, first ... you need a good computer or SmartPhone so we can communicate on this forum (or download stuff).

Then, read this thread ...

en.community.dell.com/.../19453957.aspx

a lot of it applies to you.

Over the years, other users have installed after-market Power Supplies in their Aurora's. They reportedly have worked fine.

However, the AseTek Cooler (HeatSink-Pump-Radiator-RadFan) must be turning and working (at least a little). This means the MIO-Board must be working or at least getting power (in which case it should still be running it's last program and should spin the pump and rad-fan.

If the MIO-Board is totally fried ... you will have to get it working or install a cheap conventional HeatSink/Fan ... just to keep the processor cool.

Obviously, your machine should not be turning off. Either the Corsair PS is bad, not hooked up properly, or the Intel CPU is over-heating due to lack of proper cooling.

9 Posts

June 24th, 2012 02:00

Nothing is overheating and every fan works fine (HDD fan, PCI Fan, Sys Fan, PSU Fan, small fan in the ceiling and small radiator type fan on the MB).  Pump also works fine.  The PSU is brand new and I have no idea how it could be wired wrong, since there is really only one way to connect it to each component.  

Is it possible the MIO board is shot and is causing sensor problems that are shutting down the machine?  

Do you know of a guide that I can use to verify my installation of the corsair psu?

Thanks for the help!

9 Posts

June 24th, 2012 03:00

Also, I have an Aurora ALX R2 w/ BIOS A04.  Should I update to A11 or keep it as is?  When I go to support.dell.com and enter my service tag, it gives me the 2.5... version of Command Center to DL, which is what I had.  Should I go and DL and install that (I've already uninstalled the previous version and ran CCleaner)?

One last thing, I just tried disconnecting the power from the MIO power board and starting the comp that way.  None of the fans worked, as expected, but once again after about 5 minutes or so I got the automatic shutdown.

Does all of this sound like an MIO board problem to you or something else?  How much does an MIO board cost and where can I order it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2012 12:00

Nothing is overheating and every fan works fine (HDD fan, PCI Fan, Sys Fan, PSU Fan, small fan in the ceiling and small radiator type fan on the MB).  Pump also works fine.  The PSU is brand new and I have no idea how it could be wired wrong, since there is really only one way to connect it to each component.  

At this point, the only MIO-Board connected parts that matter are the Pump and Rad-Fan. Dell Diags test of MIO-Board is very important.

Just because PS new, doesn't mean it's good/working. You can test PS with Digital PS Tester or in another machine (or on table). I suggest you connect to good UPS (like APC) because your site wiring might be what is causing PS to blow.

Is it possible the MIO board is shot and is causing sensor problems that are shutting down the machine?  

Yes, of course (surprised you asked if you have been reading this thread and the other I referenced above). I suggest you slow down a bit and give your next move some thought. Be sure you are reading forum posts carefully.

Do you know of a guide that I can use to verify my installation of the corsair psu?

Remember, this is an un-authorized procedure, but I have seen a few people do it and post about it. Here is a few ...

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19428062.aspx?PageIndex=2

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19431409.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://en.community.dell.com/members/leiflill/activities/default.aspx

Thanks for the help!

Sure, no problem. Good Luck ... you have your work cut-out for you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2012 13:00

Also, I have an Aurora ALX R2 w/ BIOS A04.  Should I update to A11 or keep it as is?

Leave it. Possible MB "bricking/killing". You would never do it with an un-stable MB anyway. Never do BIOS updates from Windows.

When I go to support.dell.com and enter my service tag, it gives me the 2.5... version of Command Center to DL, which is what I had.  Should I go and DL and install that (I've already uninstalled the previous version and ran CCleaner)?

No, never go backwards in versions. File Area is messed up these days. Enter from generic list, not Service Tag.

http://en.community.dell.com/members/tesla1856/favorites/default.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19451814/20117747.aspx#20117747

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19451277/20115001.aspx#20115001

One last thing, I just tried disconnecting the power from the MIO power board and starting the comp that way.  None of the fans worked, as expected, but once again after about 5 minutes or so I got the automatic shutdown.

Does all of this sound like an MIO board problem to you or something else?

Could be. Or, it could be the real problem still causing it.

I think what it comes down to is that you need to find out if the MB is working-stable. To do that, the processor has to be cooled properly. If there is some question as to the operation of the MIO-Board or Asetek Cooler (pump and rad-fan) ... then you will have to find some other way to cool the processor ... just to check the motherboard and it's on-board components.

How much does an MIO board cost and where can I order it?

You get them from Dell Parts. I think they cost around $100.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2012 14:00

That about covers it. However, I also wanted to mention ...

When a Power Supply really blows-up or dies (and it sounds like yours really did) ... it's not un-common for it to take-out or damage the motherboard or other parts.

9 Posts

June 24th, 2012 16:00

According to Command Center, nothing is overheating.  The actual components are also not physically hot to the touch.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

According to Command Center, nothing is overheating.  The actual components are also not physically hot to the touch.

If the MIO-Board tests good in Dell Diags (outside of Windows) ... you can adjust fans and lights in there.

and

Command Center is working in Windows (you can see the Pump is "Running", Rad-Fan is turning around 1200rpm (and keeping CPU cores under 60c)

... I would say the MIO-Board and AseTek Cooler is working.

Time to start looking elsewhere for problems.

9 Posts

How could I test the motherboard?  Other than the shutdowns, everything works fine.

9 Posts

The stock PS was 525w

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

The stock PS was 525w

It was an R2, so yes ... that sounds about right.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

How could I test the motherboard?  Other than the shutdowns, everything works fine.

- Dell Diags (outside of Windows)
- MemTest86.com
- Live Linux CD (bootable DVD of Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc.)
- Running Windows

Isn't that sorta like saying ... "Ya, the car runs fine except it just dies every 5 or 10 minutes" .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Is it possible the 800w PS is putting to much pressure on something?  Even if wired correctly?

Not really.

It's fine to install a higher wattage Power Supply in a desktop ... it only pulls what watts it needs.

No Events found!