Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 19th, 2010 14:00

Alienware Command Center release 2.5.51.0, A07. Not the other A07, 2.5.46.0.

The Alienware Desktop you recently purchased may be affected by a software issue which can result in failure of Alienware Command Center’s ability to control basic functions such as lights. This will not occur in an out of box experience and will only potentially happen after Command Center is uninstalled and reinstalled. A newly updated version of Command Center software has been developed to address this issue, and we strongly recommend that you upgrade to this new version. Customers should download and run the latest Alienware Command Center release (2.5.51.0,  A07).

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

159 Posts

April 21st, 2010 12:00

Thanks for this advice. 

I called Alienware support and will have a new MIO board installed shortly.  I currently have CC uninstalled and my Area 51 ALX is playing nice.  I WILL reinstall 2.5.51 just prior to new MIO board installation as instructed. 

I will report back when all of this is complete.

2.4K Posts

April 21st, 2010 22:00

If your currently having issues, Contact support and get the MIO board replaced. Your MIO board firmware is corrupt. Keep the new version of Command Center installed so when the replacement MIO board is installed, it will get picked up.

The master control board was replaced last month. Along with the Mother Board,Power Supply,CPU,Water Cooler twice and one of my GPU's. The new mother Board has a bad sound jack for the side speakers and one of the sticks of Dell's generic memory is bad but I don't care since I took it out 3 days after I got the system. And to top all of this off Alienware Command Center is and always has been total junk. That just rounds out the system really well doesnt it?

I don't think anything is wrong with the firmware on the board. I installed 3 versions yesterday. All of them updated just like it should. It is only this new one that has no firmware to update. The firmware version  AO7 is the exact same one that was in AO6. All 3 temp sensors work great except with A07. In A07 it will only show 2. When I went back to the other versions yesterday all the sensors showed up again. Also by installing the older versions the firmware was removed. If the firmware was corrupt then it would have been fixed with the install of the other versions.

As for the side panal lights blinking,fan speeds going max on their own on boot ups,vent setting with fan speed not working, booting with no lights,all of these issues have been around since the Area 51 was released. It is not like it just up and broke with A07. It has never worked right. Only thing new for me is this firmware shows 2 sensors and not 3. But hey now we get a hand instead of an arrow when we scroll over the color wheel,WOOT!

I am expecting a system replacment but god only knows when that will get here. I waited 33 days to find out they lost it. Been waiting 23 days since finding that out for the next one unless it gets lost to. How do you lose a $4,000  computer?

159 Posts

April 24th, 2010 07:00

New MIO board installed yesterday.  Nice enough tech, said he has done 3 of these already.  It took 1.5 hours.  Minor mistake, one of the connectors was not seated properly and I had no fin movement.  Called Alienware support they told me to reinstall windows...yea...right.....goodbye.  I checked the connectors, seated the one properly and have fin control.  Was told to re-flash Bios and uninstall/reinstall all aspects (including regedit) of 2.5.51 Command Center.  Did those things and the results are:

My motorized door now works ALL the time, Yea! 

I also noticed a couple things that I do not remember seeing before, I now have a flashing blue LED (LED3) on the MIO board and two white solid on service lighting LEDs (LED11, LED12) and of course the red LED next to the main power connector.  The red one is the only one I remember seeing before.   When the side panel is put back on all of the white service lights go off inside the entire computer (of course), but the blinking blue LED on the MIO board continues to blink.  Alienware support told me it was supposed to be flashing.  (I don't remember those lights before, so if this is a change from the previous board, this may confirm board was bad).  I also have a steady on green LED (LED16) on the mother board and 3 other solid on blue LEDs on the mother board corresponding to PCI slots.

But I still have the same issues...

If I have a new mail AlienFX event set, my Outlook 2007 still triggers and automatically downloads emails upon any restart when any version of CC is installed.  Uninstall CC and that issue is gone.  Only other fix for me right now is to not set a new mail AlienFX event.  Without the event, Outlook does not trigger on restart.  All other lighting works fine.

HP CM1312nfi color laser MPF Toolbox does not show icon in task bar, but now can be manually started after restart (no longer getting error message).  It is set to start in msconfig, but does not.  Uninstall CC and toolbox starts normally and displays the taskbar icon. 

With CC 2.5.51 Hard Drive Fan #2 reads almost 1000 more RPMs than pervious versions, but is now nearly equal to Hard Drive Fan #1 (I would logically consider this a fix in this CC version).  Also, like others have noted, Sensor #3 is gone.

In general, I think CC is slowly sneaking up on working for me....maybe in the next update or two.

30 Posts

April 25th, 2010 15:00

In general, what I have found with the new Alienware Command Center 2.5.51.0, A07 and the Alienware BIOS A07 is the necessity to do three items after install. Yes, after the install, the Alienware Command Center functions were all screwed up.

1. Shutdown the computer, unplug the power cord, hold the power on button down 10 seconds (resets FX Firmware), plug in the power cord and power on.

2. I have found that there were issues with Sensors and Fan data not updating and even a new temperature item for a video card that read 0 degreesF. I then did a basic Restart and Fans starting reporting correctly, video card temp disappeared but Sensor 3 was stuck at 75 degreesF.

3. Shutdown the computer, unplug the power cord, wait 30 seconds and then restart. NOW, all the alienware fans/sensors appear to be working correctly. I have control over lights in AlienFX.

What  I'm concerned about is if I do another power on restart will weird things start happening with the Alienware Command Center?

57 Posts

April 30th, 2010 21:00

I can also confirm this and now it seems as though the Command Center updater has caught on to this. I get the notice for an update, but once I download it it only asks to either "Repair" or "Uninstall" so I'm assuming the version numbers are wrong.

49 Posts

May 4th, 2010 08:00

I also confirm that the version numbers are wrong. In control panel under add/remove programs its listed correctly but the program itself is not updated hence why we keep getting the notice to update.

I've had my Area-51 since early January of this year and I've been keeping the Command Center up to date but I still experience the following symptoms:

1). The auto-control of the venting still does not work properly. When set to automatic the vents stay open at the 50% mark and never move unless I shutdown the computer in which they close.

2). The temps still seem to stay consistent. Sensor temps 1,2, & 3 all report 25 degrees celsius and regardless of whether I turn on the computer or play games for 5 hours these temps never move more than +/- 1 degree celsius.

Other than that the colors work fine for me and the fans on boot work just fine since the past few updates.

Rich Dewees - I notice you had a bunch of things replaced in your computer. You mention that your motorized vents are now working properly. Do they move around in when they're set in automatic mode when your using your PC or do they just sit at the 50% open mark like mine? The only time mine move is the initial computer boot where they flare up and down but then they set at 50% open and don't move again when set to automatic in command center.

If anyone else can pitch in on this, that would be great. I would like to know if others are experiencing this issue or if I have a faulty MIO board that needs to be replaced.

Thanks,

kiax0001

159 Posts

May 4th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for asking...

The major thing I noticed when I had the MIO board replaced is that my front bay door works all the time, shut down, power down/on, etc.  This was NOT the case prior to the MIO board replacement.  That is a huge fix for me....

Regarding the fins...

I like the look of my fins open all the time, so I set it to a fixed 50% position.  But, if i remember correctly, upon CC installation the default is to only open fins when systems fans reach 50%, my fins opened at 50% and the fans were something like 28%.....so no, that still does not operate correctly for me either, but a non-issue (generally) for me.  My fins and fans do ramp up, as selected, during power up but settle back down to 50% in auto mode....They do move accordingly in manual mode when I select closed, 50% or 100%.

I am still waiting for my new mail event to work with Outlook 2007 and for CC not to crash my HP printer toolbox.....

I also want this AlienGUIse that they are now offering with the Area 51 ALX's......The version on the Alienware website says for XP only......We all have Win 7.  now that all but the issues I listed here, my computer is working well...I don't want to mess anything up adding MORE OLD software.

No Events found!