Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2017 22:00

Alienware M14x R2 Blown Out Speakers (or Subwoofer?)

Hi, So I have an Alienware M14x R2 for almost 4 years now and for the last couple of years, I've been having this "blown" speakers which are really unfortunate given that Alienware laptops are designed to produce a powerful 2.1 bass sound in its mobility. And, such or coincidence or what that this problem occurs right after my 2 years warranty has ended (about 1 or two months after that).

I am pretty sure that the problem is not software based but rather hardware based because I've been through some formatting, updating drivers and updating windows, revert back to windows 7 and so on and the speakers (or subwoofer) still the same.

From what I know, there are 2 main parts of the speakers which are the left and right speakers and the subwoofer. I've tried to identify which part of those two are having the problem using Soundblaster Recon 3Di Control Panel by disabling bass, using only left speakers, using only right speakers but the problem seems to still exist. I've also tried by going to Playback Devices -> Configure Speakers -> change the audio channels to 5.1 and disabling the subwoofer but after that, the speakers stop working and not producing any sound while the visualizer in the Playback Devices is bouncing around.

So is there any way that I can fix this situation so that I can remember what is feels like to have a laptop with a subwoofer? :)

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I'll try as much as I can to document any successful or unsuccessful attempt to repair these speakers so it may help others in need.

Cheers

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 13th, 2017 10:00

If electrically good (ohm-wise, etc.) fixing speakers takes skill and usually at least some rubbery glue (Google it).

You might be lucky and find a good used one (working pull) if Dell Parts has no more new ones.

March 13th, 2017 22:00

Thanks for the reply Tesla1856. But, is there a way I can figure out whether the electrical circuit still good? Actually rather than using the rubbery glue technique, I prefer buying spare parts. But before deciding which part to buy, I think I want to make sure that once I get the part replaced out, the speaker will work again as it is.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 13th, 2017 23:00

I'm pretty sure you can connect any small (correct ohms) speaker and it will make some noise. Speakers are not complicated and many people fix them. Google is your friend.  

No Events found!