Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2013 12:00

Alienware M17x-r3 Not Booting Properly

i have had my alienware for over 2 years with some minor issues but this time i cant seem to figure out the problem.  i have been having some graphic card issues ( AMD Radeon 6900m).  i would close my lip, set to sleep when closed, and when i would re-open it all i get is a black screen, no lights on the screen or anything. the keyboard is still on tho.  i tried to install new driver from AMD and that didnt help so i tried an outside driver up-date software, SlimDrivers.  i installed several drivers including intel drivers that seemed to take over the computer after update.  i went to restart it agan and it would get to the windows loading screen and the screen will just freeze.  it will make the sounds of going to the lock screen and also make the sound when i put in my password.  but the screen is still stuck at the loading screen.  i tired safe mode (all 3) and nothing. the computer went in to a system recovery and it didnt fix anything or figure out a problem. i dont know what to do besides a complete system restore. 

any comments or suggest will be very useful and thank you for reading 

500 Posts

November 25th, 2013 22:00

A system restore would be recommended. You should be able to see if you have any restore points available, and I would strongly encourage to restore back to the point before any software or driver installs and before the issue started Occurring. 

I would also encourage the use of the BSOD Viewer in order to determine any STOP codes or other failures. I it will be important to know if anything is crashing, such as any drivers.

I would also setup monitoring for temps and voltage and other aspects by using a tool such as HWINFO64. This tool with allow you to create a running log that we can later go back and review.

I would also check on the Dell diagnostics page and run the testing (the more tests the better) to see if any errors show up or if everything is good. 

Let me know what you come back with. 

2 Posts

November 25th, 2013 22:00

thank you for the help

i didnt not make a restore point before and the computer made one after it started it happen

i will make sure to use the BSOD Viewer once i completely restore the computer

500 Posts

November 27th, 2013 03:00

Definitely let me know how it goes. Want to get you up and running again before any more delays. :)

No Events found!