Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2016 17:00

Alienware M18x R1 GPU upgrade

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2 graphic cards in my Alienware M18x R1 laptop.

My (Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M NVIDIA SLI Enabled) have finally decided they have had enough of life and died on me.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to what hardware laptop are able to take so would greatly appreciate any help I can get! :)  

I'll have to replace both cards... what would give the best performance vs cost (better new cards) ?

Thank you so much for all who reply!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 19th, 2016 12:00

Hi, 

The highest GPU that we ca support with this system is the NVidia GTX 580M. Some users have confirmed success with non-validated GPU upgrades. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for assistance.  

April 20th, 2016 07:00

thanks a lot Rodrigo for his answer... but aren't easy to find GTX 580M to buy in the market... what you suggest for me ?

April 20th, 2016 09:00

Hiya I will be selling my 2 GTX-680m cards from my M18 xR2 in about 2 months if you can wait?

April 20th, 2016 16:00

how much would be cost ? used/new ?

901 Posts

April 20th, 2016 18:00

Hi.

Don't swallow the old catchcry "Dell only certify"

You can use whatever you like, you may have to modify the drivers to install but your definitely NOT limited to just the GTX580M.

Your laptop and GPU both have ID numbers attached to them.

When you install a GPU driver the driver looks at both the laptop and GPU ID numbers.

It match's those numbers up with the numbers the driver manufacturer have been given PERMISSION to use by the laptop manufacturers.

If the GPU is NOT one of the GPU's originally produced with that model then the driver comes back with the error "No compatible hardware found"

This is because companies like DELL "REFUSE" to give or let the driver manufacturers include the new GPU ID's with older machines, so you get the above error when trying to install.

This can be circumvented by modded the driver with the correct laptop and GPU ID, once this is done YOU choose the video card, your not dictated to by Dell as to what you can use

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

April 21st, 2016 01:00

Hi There, They are both used as they are currently in my M18x R2. They are 100% fine. I looked on Eurocom for new prices and they are listed as 400 GBP each new which is huge. I would happily sell the pair for 400GBP. Drop me a note a <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy> and we can have a chat

May 6th, 2016 04:00

Hi Andrew

Can you help me I have purchased 2 GTX970M GPU's, do you know where I can get a modded inf file for my Alienware M18x R2. I am running Windows 10 64Bit

Hope you're well

Paul

901 Posts

May 7th, 2016 20:00

Hi Paul.

You can try laptopvideotogo website but its a bit hit and miss.

You should teach yourself how to modd the driver, first time is a little difficult but easy after that and only takes 5 minutes once you know how, modding just requires you to insert the right machine and GPU hardware ID's into the driver file, easy after a couple of times

No Events found!