Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2013 08:00

Alienware R4 Command Centre/ALX issues.

Having spent a lot of time on google reading various forum posts I can see this is a common problem, but have as of yet failed to find an adequate solution. 

As the title suggest my issues are to do with the ALX chassis and the Alienware Command Centre. I must point out that these problems happen sporadically, sometimes i boot up with no issues other times the same issues occur. Issues are as follows:

1) The active vents when asked do not seem to fully open, they only seem to half open at most.

2)  The ambient sensors and fan sensors seem to show incorrect readings. Sometimes showing reading of 0 degrees C and sometimes showing that the CPU pump has failed. 

3) Inability to change the AlienFX lighting when in this state.

4) On a full shutdown some of the AlienFX lighting remains on when they shouldn't. 

Several times I have shut down, unplugged the power and held the power button to discharge the system and this seems to fix the problem, however it seems to be only temporary as on the next boot the problem usually occurs. I have run Dell Diagnostics (I believe its ePSA) on the BIOS (A07 i believe) and it shows no problems and all the tests are passed. However on the list of devices I cannot see MIO board listed, is that normal? 

This is a brand new Aurora R4, literally only a week or so old, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

17 Posts

April 28th, 2013 08:00

Recent error message:

"There was an error while AlienFX Controller was communicating with the computer. This might have been caused due to a problem with the hardware or the software.Try these solutions to correct the issue, in the following order:

- Try to enable AlienFX Controller again. Right-click on the AlienFX icon in the Windows notification area and select 'Enable Alienware AlienFX'.

- Shut down your computer and power it back on.

If neither of these solutions works, please contact Alienware technical support.

This error may also be caused if Alienware AlienFX software is installed on a computer without the proper hardware support for Alienware AlienFX."

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 28th, 2013 12:00

1. I have run Dell Diagnostics (I believe its ePSA) on the BIOS (A07 i believe) and it shows no problems and all the tests are passed.

2. However on the list of devices I cannot see MIO board listed, is that normal?

1. If the MIO-Board is not detected (and therefore not tested) then NO ... all tests are not passed because some are missing.

2. No

Call phone support. Tell them about the above tests and results. Also, about other strange MIO-Board problems in Windows. I would think they will come replace your MIO-Board and then clean install Command Center.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19454040/20128296.aspx#20128296

I don't think I would include this one:

4) On a full shutdown some of the AlienFX lighting remains on when they shouldn't.

I think all the Aurora R4s do that. Has something to do with how the R4s are wired to detect their power state.

17 Posts

April 28th, 2013 13:00

I will run another diagnostic later and take a photo of the results. I find it odd how its so sporadic, surely something is broken or it is not...?

I didn't want to spend hours on the phone to phone support but looks like I will have to now. Don't expect problems from a new build so not very impressed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 28th, 2013 15:00

I find it odd how its so sporadic, surely something is broken or it is not...?

Yes, I think so. Either the MIO-Board is flakey or something is intermittently preventing communication between MIO and motherboard.

It should detect (and allow to be tested) outside of Windows (in Dell Diags) 100% of the time. At that point, Windows (and Command Center and drivers) are completely removed from equation, so it almost has to be a hardware problem.

17 Posts

April 30th, 2013 07:00

Just got off the phone with tech support, explained the problems as outlined above, explained that I believed it was a hardware problem. I was then made to do all the test which i'd already done to then be told that I was right in the first place and that it probably was an issue with the MIO board and that an engineer would be spent to replace it. Interestingly they said that the MIO board would NOT show up in Dell Diagnostics as a device...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 30th, 2013 15:00

1. an issue with the MIO board and that an engineer would be spent to replace it.

2. Interestingly they said that the MIO board would NOT show up in Dell Diagnostics as a device...

1. Good

2. I can tell you this:

The downloaded (AW1382A0.EXE) used to create a bootable CD is: "Hardware Diagnostics v 1382.1"

"System Test/Custom Test" tests everything (all normal PC parts) including MIO-Board, Lights, Fans, etc. on my Alienware Aurora R1.

---

Now, if you are running different Diagnostic software, or the Aurora R4 is different in some major way (which I doubt) then you will get different results.

Maybe a Power-User with a working Aurora R4 can verify.

17 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 12:00

MIO board replaced, was fine for a day, booted up this afternoon and old issues seemed to have returned...!

17 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 13:00

I will do, it will have to wait until Monday/Tuesday now though as I believe they don't operate phone support over the weekend? Im slightly concerned the problem could be made worse if they come and pull out more bits though.

I have tried the "power dissipation fix" more times than I care to remember, it temporarily fixes the problem but as I explained to phone support the problem returns after another boot or two. If it only happened a few times a year I would probably not be bothered at all.

Is this command centre issue, whatever it is, going to harm my PC, or is it simply not showing the correct information?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 13:00

MIO board replaced, was fine for a day, booted up this afternoon and old issues seemed to have returned...!

Call them back and let them know. They are handling this now. Since it wasn't the obvious thing, it gets much harder.

Did you try the "Power Dissipation Fix" ? Would not be un-common to have to do that a few times a year.

You might have them check that the internal USB cable is good, and that it is plugged into a USB 2.0 internal header port and not a USB v3.0 header.

17 Posts

May 5th, 2013 09:00

I've just noticed my media card reader was missing, checking alienautopsy revealed that the hardware "removed" the day the engineer came to "fix" my PC, so he's obviously disconnected something, things just keep getting better and better...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 5th, 2013 13:00

I've just noticed my media card reader was missing, checking alienautopsy revealed that the hardware "removed" the day the engineer came to "fix" my PC, so he's obviously disconnected something, things just keep getting better and better...

Yes, it interfaces through the MIO-Board. It uses a sub-channel of the USB supplied to MIO-Board.

17 Posts

May 5th, 2013 14:00

Found the loose connection so I've sorted that problem.

1 Message

May 6th, 2013 19:00

I also have this same problem and cannot contact Dell via phone (our hours collide and cannot be worked out so far). First the horrible 680 SLI drama, now I have a 104C processor while gaming. No working lights, thermal sensors, etc. Nothing has solved it. I clean installed just to be sure and have tested every version of AWCC and I am sure it was caused from a bad AWCC update. Wonderful. Do I have to just install a new refurbished Dell Part because that is unacceptable. I paid 3500USD for this Top of the Line Computer and I expect my warranty to be honored with a whole new unit now that this was has severely overheated.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 6th, 2013 20:00

JD Sanders,

Our apologies for the issues you are facing. However, a "whole new unit" is out of the question. The purchased warranty specifies that you are entitled to at most a like for like refurbished system exchange. But first, we must troubleshoot with you and replace parts to try to correct the issues before a refurbished system is even considered. You should contact Alienware support at this email address: AWCC-Resolution_experts@Dell.com

Provide to them the following information -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Computer Service Tag Number:
Issues in detail:

17 Posts

May 9th, 2013 15:00

JD Saunders, did you sort out your problems? I would suggest you call Dell (if possible) and get them to sort everything out to a standard acceptable for you.

No Events found!