Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2012 19:00

Alienware m17x r3 not turning on

Hey.

I have a m17x r3 that I purchased in April. I left it on, in sleep mode when I went to work the other night. I came home in the morning and the keyboard was lit up and the screen was black and it was beeping. 4 beeps. Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep. I turned it off with the power button and tried again with the same result. I then opened it up and took out all 4 ram sticks and put them back in and put it back together. Same result. Anyone know what the problem could be?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 01:00

Hi GrumpyWarner,

Let me first  appreciate the fact that you have tried the steps youself to resolve the issue .

4 Beeps on the computer indicates RAM Read/Write failure.

From your post I can make out that you have reseated the memory. Now lets check with each memory (one at a time) and restart the computer. This would isolate the bad memory or the motherboard slot. 

I have provided a link which helps you in reseating memory on the computer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_M17xR3/en/SM/html/memory.htm#wp1180190

Before you begin, ensure that the computer and any attached devices are turned off. If your computer and attached devices did not automatically turn off when you shut down your operating system, press and hold the power button for at least 8 to 10 seconds until the computer turns off.

After reseating the memory modules on the computer, restart the computer and check if the issue is fixed. 

Let me know the status. 

Awaiting your response!

October 10th, 2012 05:00

Hello Rajesh,

Thank you for your quick feedback. I took out all 4 ram sticks and put them in one at a time in a slot in the front. All but one of them boot up normally. I have 2 sticks in it now and it is working. I have one non working, marked stick and one working mark stick not installed and on my desk. Can I send the non working stick back for a replacement?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 11th, 2012 08:00

Hi GrumpyWarner,

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and help you. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!