Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2017 06:00

Alienware x51; Tried Everything, still running slow. Extreme game loading times. Help me diagnose please.

I had been putting off cleaning up my Alienware x51 R2, and recently, cleaned the entire rig safely as I've done a million times before, ran Kaspersky antivirus, Malwarebytes (all clear, no issues).  Ran HD tune with perfect results, updated all drivers and even upgrated my GPU (from gtx 760 to gtx 1060).  I have cleared my 1TB HDD almost clean to allow only 3 installed games and everything else is backed up on ext drive.  (currently 200gb/1000gb in HDD)

I am still having sluggish responses overall.

Games like Dying Light and Fallout 4 are taking almost 10 minutes to load and then having critical FPS drops (unplayable) and occational crashing.

Specs:

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB

Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4 GHz

Please help me find out what sort of Diagnostics tests I can run to pin-point my issue.  (hardware or software issues).

Let me know of any further questions,

Thank you

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2017 11:00

Yes, as ‌ says, ePSA Diagnostcs (outside of Windows) is your friend. Any core hardware problems (should / might) show up there. At least, you have to get past that hurdle.

You are needlessly torturing yourself to save $100. I suggest you install a 240gb SSD as C: and install Windows and your 2 favorite games on it. You can keep the spinning HDD as D: for other large games, media files, or whatever. 

Long Fallout-4 load times (either initially or level-change / door-usage) is not uncommon (see Google). I ran across it on my old Aurora-R1 (but never on Aurora-R6). IIRC, it did not really help moving it to the C: SSD. Only upgrading from AMD-5870 to Nvidia GTX-1070 fixed it. It seemed to have something to do with initializing the current environment or enumerating the objects or state of the environment on level changes.

Not that it's a fix, but be sure to re-validate your local game files in Steam if having trouble. Also, on the Video Settings ... try Medium Preset or High tweaked-down a bit.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2017 11:00

Hi savursool247‌,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let me know if you receive any errors. 

Also make sure the Bios is up to date.

No Events found!