Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2017 18:00

Alienware x51 r2 power supply

Hi there

The past few months i have had some troubles with my x51 r2, which is a dead-end for me right now.
When i play games, the computer will sometimes freeze completely, and will not stop freeze untill i shut it down on the power button. Sometimes a BSOD will appear, but the error codes i get from it is not the same everytime. I managed to get one (maybe two) of the error codes from BSOD: 0x00000139 - and one that said something about KERNEL (dont know if this helps).
Besides from the freezing and BSOD, my alienware starts to reboot over and over MANY times, like its hyperventilating - which can continue for quiet some time... It really freaks me out.
I've tried to locate the error codes, but it's just too difficult when it seems to be more than just a few different error codes, and i dont know that much about computers.
Other than that, i've formatted it a few times now, in hope that it would help but without luck. 

I have done some research, and found that the power supply may not be big enough (240w).
My specs are: intel core i5, 2x8gb ddr3 ram, 7200 rpm hdd, GTX 750TI graphics.

I have calculated the PSU to be at least 360w, which confuses me since mine is 240w - can this be the problem?

The computer have worked fine in a couple of years, with a bit freezing though.

Thanks in advance!

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 08:00

actually  no.. your  calculations are off big time..

video draws under 70 watts peak .. assuming its a OEM version not overclocked etc..

cpu draws  depending on model 80~ watts ish ..

ram is 5-10 watts  hddd is around 20 max ..  then add on keyboard mouse headset and whatever else you  got for USB ...   and your still not pushing the limits of the PSU ..

I was running a 970 and 6700 on my X51 R3 from  dell on the 330 .. yet video card recommended requirements are higher...   hey even with a 1070gtx 32 gig ram  1 ssd 1 mechanical  and a 6700K  I  still draw real world gaming under 250 watts with a 32 inch screen off the wall .. according to my backup power supply screen  .. just  saying...

now when was last time the dust was cleaned out?

any external  usb deviced connected... since this started..  any software changes..  still running original OS  it came with?  all software/drivers up to date...  this error you posted usually  leads to   a kernel error with a driver  or a device failing.. but if you formatted and it is still doing  it.. its possible a device you have connected is acting up or  something  is failing ..  

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 09:00

online calculations  aren't bad  it gives room for upgrades etc later on  and keeps the psu usage lower so  it lasts longer .. but by no  means  is  it wrong.. but plays  it *safe* 

well  the issue started with a USB  device in which this is were the error code you posted deals with ..

if  BSOD  from steam.. is it  while  running a game  that requires  graphics power or  just steam itself ... if so  its possible hard drive has errors..

my buddy just had an issue  with his 760 and it was just bad connection after years all of a sudden with power plug.....

yea dust is a big problem for this tiny system, its so compact  lack of  cooling can cause issues. kinda like a laptop haha  but  if   not long go  shouldn't  be a problem.. ive  a while and seems around 4-5 months for me its time to clean it out . but your environment may vary .. I'm in Canadian winter .. its cold HAHA and  I'm right next to  the patio door..

you can  also try running the dell diagnostics  see if   it turns  up anything .

5 Posts

February 6th, 2017 09:00

My calculations is one of the online services, where i apply what specs my computer has, and then it calculates itself, so i dont know how reliable it is.

It actually started when i first began to use my bluetooth Logitech mouse/keyboard set, where the mouse required a USB to be plugged in, and the keyboard was bluetooth. When i stopped using this, the problem was much less frequently, but still happened sometimes.

Also, i downloaded STEAM for the first time in a month some weeks ago (at this point my computer had run flawless in the past month), where the BSOD came right after the installation of STEAM, counter-strike, RUST and such. Can this be the source of the errors??

The OS is still original, software/drivers im unsure if they're up to date, since i formatted my pc a couple of times.

Thank you for the quick and informing answer!

The dust was cleaned out not long ago. Can dust be a problem in this case?

5 Posts

February 6th, 2017 13:00

i dont remember if it happens while i play some STEAM product. I actually just think it happened after i downloaded it, and not playing any game. But what harddrive can be the problem then?

Would you please define bad connection after years? Between the PSU and the PC, or? And what did you do to fix it? It's worth a try!

I live in Denmark, so the enviroment is kinda "normal" weather - not too cold or too hot. The PC stands in a free space where it can breathe perfectly. I will try to run the diagnostic from dell and see if it can give me anything. Thank you!

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2017 14:00

if possible  exact error  if  you catch it.. or the dump file..

1.2K Posts

only  have 1 hard drive as you  posted.... only reason I mention this   is on  my R3  my hard drive was DOA out of the box..  but didn't care for fact I  was using my own drives ..

if you cleaned out  dust, means you took it apart to   do    it properly..  so any  internal connection  ..

5 Posts

Okay, Hard drive = Harddisk, i didnt know that.

Well, the diagnostic test did not give me anything - everything works at it should. Guess i'll try to download steam again and see if i can locate when the BSOD happens...

5 Posts

February 6th, 2017 15:00

.. how? as told, i am not that good at computers :)

No Events found!