Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2014 22:00

Alpha question.

I know there's the Alpha UI mode and the desktop mode. I have been playing games through the desktop mode and they run just fine but I still get some lag. Not graphical lag but like a loading lag. So I'm under the assumption you can play games on the desktop mode and Alpha UI mode but the Alpha UI is more optimized for the gaming to where you won't have the loading lag or anything of the sort. Basically, I'm asking for the best gaming experiences, I need to use the Alpha UI? Thanks.

Edit: I stand corrected. Regardless of any game I play or it's graphical level, the computer is ALWAYS loading something and it slows down the games quite a bit.

December 1st, 2014 08:00

The default hard drive is a 5400RPM drive (at least in the low end model).

That's gonna cause some loading lag. A 7200 RPM drive will improve this, somewhat. A hybrid SSHD or an SSD will make things even better.

Last but not least, I recommend having at least 8GB of RAM, regardless of CPU model.

December 1st, 2014 11:00

I bought the highest one, the 900 dollar one. I still need to upgrade anything?

December 1st, 2014 22:00

I bought the highest one, the 900 dollar one. I still need to upgrade anything?

From the Alienware Website:

2TB 5400rpm Hard Drive

So... yes. That drive has a lot of disk space, but it's still a 5400 RPM drive, so that's going to impact performance.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a 500GB or bigger SSD or SSHD hybrid, stick the 2TB drive into a laptop drive enclosure, and use it for video, music, and image files (basically stuff where disk space is more important than drive performance).

No Events found!