Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2011 15:00

Area-51 CPU Temps

What is the normal CPU operating temperature of the i7 990x in the Alienware Area-51?  I'm getting around 35c at idle and between 50c and 60c after a few hours of gaming, per "CoreTemp".  It never stays at 60 for more than a few seconds.  I'm assumed the fan attached to the liquid cooling radiator spools as the temp goes up.  RPM is around 800 or so normally.  I haven't overclocked it at all.  The Tcase for that chip per intel is 67.9c.  I'd like to stay as far from that as possible.  I'm thinking about installing a variable speed 80mm fan in the rear of the case to draw air in. (push pull kinda).  The board on the liquid cooling assembly has available sockets for sensors and fans.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone who knows much about that board.  So my question is;

What are the normal operating temps fo the CPU in the stock Area-51 configuration?

9 Posts

March 14th, 2011 16:00

Thank you C_Ronic, that makes me feel much better about my temps. 

431 Posts

March 14th, 2011 16:00

Your temps are fine. The Tcase is not the core temp its the outside temp of the chip. What you are reading as 35c/50c/60c is the core temp. The processors are rated to hit 100c CORE TEMP. You are well within that and your temperatures are normal. Just try not to get near the TJmax of 100c and you are golden. You have plenty of room to overclock if you wanted too.

No Events found!