Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2014 17:00

Area 51 R2 Side Panel Lights

ok I have a problem.  I got this tower yesterday.  box had a few cuts, tears, and dents all in it.  the tower was great with no scratches or anything else wrong with it.  I have been playing around with it since I got it.  All lights work and change colors except the left panel facing the tower.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the command center as per dell instructions.  I have removed and reseated the panel.  Sometimes the light will work and come on for about 10 minutes, then turns white and eventually nothing.  Only affecting that one panel though.  Anyone else having a similar problem or can think of what might be broke during shipment?  Thanks for all advice.

December 26th, 2014 09:00

I did the tester and everything checks out ok  did have a hardware problem but guess that is gone now  seems to be working ok now  will let ya know if any other problems arise.  Thanks for all help

85 Posts

May 7th, 2015 00:00

its the frame, check if its not bent. i exchange my units 3 times to finally have a "non bent" frame version.

the bent frame causing the panel connector can not touch the inside connector

• 

2.7K Posts

December 26th, 2014 08:00

I will recommend you to run the AlienFX tester just to make sure is not a hardware issue. As well perform a power drain and if the issue persists and the light doesn't turn on with the tester please let me know. 

85 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 09:00

Mind to tell us what "hardware problem" did u encountered and how u solved it ?

January 22nd, 2015 16:00

The side panels and connectors were loose. I removed the Kensington lock screw and then shifted the panel front to back a few times, no more light problems.  Looking at the left connector and the right connector, the left one has a few pins pushed in too far and I think that is causing contact problems. With the panel shifted, it is working out right now.

85 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 20:00

how do u move the panel front and back since its locked into position ?

can you upload some photos ? thanks

January 22nd, 2015 21:00

the panels are not locked in postion, just locked from opening unless you remove the screw.  they wil shift if you try budging them.  look at the tower from the side.  put hands on both sides of panel and push/pull the panel left and right.  there is some free play in them or atleast mine they are

85 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 23:00

i tried but still no luck. i even tried pull out the connector and attach to panel connector manually to make sure they are connected. and still no luck. not even a blinking lighting.

85 Posts

January 23rd, 2015 00:00

i pulled the connector from the desktop out , and attach it to the panel with my hands and still no luck. i think its a software problem than hardware problem. any pros want to chime in ?

January 23rd, 2015 06:00

could be a shipping damage to a hardware part.  Are any lights working at all or none working?  can try the self troubleshooter here http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN179142 but other than faulty hardware or missing software I dunno what could be it.  like I said mine glitches if I move it then I gotta wiggle and shift the panel a few times to get it to contact and work right.  glad it is just that one panel though  :)    swap the panel around and see if it responds...  Im outta ideas.  Sorry

2.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 23:00

I gotta wiggle and shift the panel a few times to get it to contact and work right.  glad it is just that one panel though  :)   

That is what makes it yours :)

1 Message

May 6th, 2015 14:00

Same problem with my Area51 left panel lights...dont work,shift a bit may light up for a second and then nothing. HELP

32 Posts

May 9th, 2016 09:00

I was having the same issue with the left panel not lighting up so I swapped the panels and it turns out that one of the panels doesn't light up anymore whether I place it on the right or the left side. The other one works just fine.

What can be done?

No Events found!