Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

September 18th, 2017 20:00

Aurora R6 Coil Whine PSU

Hi, recently I identified coil whine in my psu and called up Alienware to arrange for a replacement psu. The tech did the replacement of the 850w power supply and we tested the computer afterwards, it still had coil whine to the same degree as the one before it. Is this something that is just standard with this power supply/computer, could something else be causing it, or should I look into buying a third party psu or one with higher watt capacity?

Some extra details about my computer relating to power supply:

-Both psu's were the Delta 850w

-I use i7-7700k and 1080 Ti

-The coil whine is 100% coming from the psu

-The coil whine only occurs when high level graphical content is played

-No other parts in my computer have coil whine

-I run games at 1440p max settings (Based off of GeForce Experience) up to 144 fps

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 19th, 2017 08:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can assist you with this. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2017 12:00

Semi-Related, but OP never posted outcome.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2017 12:00

I have a 6-month-old Aurora-R6 with Delta-850w.

No coil-whine (or main-fan rattle  ), but I just have Nvidia GTX-1070 OEM.

Neither in Fallout-4 (Ultra Settings) nor OCCT Power Supply Test.

How are you sure it's PS when they are so close together? It's usually video cards that whine.

Are you running 2 separate PCIe Power Cables down to GTX-1080ti? That should be 2 separate 12v rails utilized.

Just so you know, that same PS is used in Area51-R2 and some Precision Workstations. You could try a nice high-end Corsair or something, but it would have to be same mount/fan-layout. Not sure anything much bigger (wattage-wise) will fit.

September 19th, 2017 14:00

-It was determined that it was the power supply as the source of noise and not the video card because while running, we swung the power supply door open and the sound moved with it, also really audible so you would even be able to tell it was the power supply even sitting on top of the video card.

-As for the power cables, I have the 8-pin and 6-pin in the 1080 Ti, and I think both are from separate 12v's. Could you elaborate a little more on that point? The tech was the one who rewired everything back together so I would imagine it was done correctly.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2017 15:00

Venomdiddles wrote:

1. It was determined that it was the power supply as the source of noise and not the video card because while running, we swung the power supply door open and the sound moved with it, also really audible so you would even be able to tell it was the power supply even sitting on top of the video card.

2. As for the power cables, I have the 8-pin and 6-pin in the 1080 Ti, and I think both are from separate 12v's. Could you elaborate a little more on that point?

3. The tech was the one who rewired everything back together so I would imagine it was done correctly.

1. OK, fair enough.

2. Each should be a separate cable (bundle of wires). One going from 8-pinner on the 1080ti to a socket on the back of the modular PS. Then, another cable for the 6-pinner (going to a different socket on PS).

3. I would not assume that. More than likely, just used what was there.

Good Luck.

September 25th, 2017 14:00

September 25th, 2017 14:00

Recently took a video to capture the coil whine. I move the screen up and down to illustrate the pitch changes. It's much louder in person than on the video.

-Video linked in reply

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 26th, 2017 12:00

Venomdiddles wrote:

It's much louder in person than on the video.

I hope so, otherwise, it seems like a lot of trouble for almost nothing. If you re-install the side-panel it will be even quieter.

As I understand it, I think your options are:

1. Get Dell to install another (brand-new and different) Delta-850w.

2. Install a nice Corsair (or other high-end brand) after-market Power-Supply

3. Live with it.

No Events found!