Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

December 25th, 2010 12:00

Aurora running loud

So when I first bought my Aurora early in September, it was so quiet I could barely tell it was on. But now there's a loud humming noise coming from somewhere inside the PC - it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly where. If I had to guess, it would appear that it is the rear fan that blows air outside the back of the desktop. 

I tried to ignore the noise for a while, but it's too the point where it's hard to watch movies and becomes pretty annoying when left on in a quiet room. It may seem petty, but quietness is an important feature to me for a computer to have. Should I contact Alienware support and try to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from so it can be replaced? Is there an obvious fix that I'm overlooking? Thanks.

December 25th, 2010 13:00

There have been other posts about this - from what i remember people said it was the PSU that was making this noise.

MERRY CHRISTMAS anyways!!!!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 25th, 2010 14:00

Usual causes:

Loud fan (there are many) or fan rubbing on something.

Hard-drive (conventional fast spinning) vibration. Drive might not be bad, but the hard-plastic trays transmit the slightest vibration to the case. There are many snap-on or hinged parts that will vibrate in this case.

If you are comfortable looking inside computer, run it with the side cover off for a while and see if you can isolate the noise or vibration.

This computer isn't built to be quiet, it's built to be powerful.

15 Posts

December 26th, 2010 00:00

"This computer isn't built to be quiet, it's built to be powerful."

Dell's advertising at http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-aurora-r2/pd is somewhat misleading:

Liquid Cooling — Eliminate distractions with high-performance CPU liquid cooling, which is more than twice as quiet as the standard heatsink and fans on other PCs.

December 26th, 2010 16:00

Misleading is an understatement. To claim is quieter than a standard heatsink fan is ludicrous considering it has more case fans than a normal PC and then there's the fact the case fans it does ship with are louder than any case fan I have ever come across, crank those baby's up to 100% in alien fx and its like there's a helicopter trying to take off. It genuinely scared me the first time I did it!

21 Posts

December 26th, 2010 22:00

What bothered me is that this computer was very very quiet when I got it. Only recently has the noise become this noticeable, so I was concerned that something was wrong. Though it's probably just something that comes with use.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 7th, 2013 12:00

Simply open the Fusion software and go to Thermal Controller, set fan speed to custom.

Yes, I have posted about setting Fans to Manual then Curve, probably 100 times in the past years.

Thanks for your spin on it. Personally I like Curve because it's Auto based on Temp.

This in an old thread, and actually, I think these people had vibration problems. Lots of parts on machine aren't actually screwed down.

May 7th, 2013 12:00

Hey, I had the same issue for 3 years. Guess what? It's a really simple fix. Whenever you update the Alienware, whether it be graphiics drivers or BIOS, The software resets to it's default state. Now the software in question is the Alien Fusion Controller software - whose effects remain even after uninstalling it! Well guess what the default is? For fans to run at 100%!!! Simply open the Fusion software and go to Thermal Controller, set fan speed to custom. This will ask you if you're sure you want tot do this, click yes, ok, etc, then switch it back to Auto. Now it will truly be auto and not be loud and buzzing constantly. 

It took me 3 years to figure this out, but it's a perfect fix.  

No Events found!