Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 17th, 2014 12:00

Brand New X51 R2 - Motherboard, graphics card and CPU fan already being replaced.

I've had a pretty terrible experience with the X51 R2. WIthin two weeks, the CPU fan just started going haywire. I called support and they were convinced it was the graphics card. They had me take it out and I stated I could still hear the fan going crazy. They sent a graphics card to a local tech anyhow to be installed.

He installed it today and the sound issue remains. So he ordered a motherboard and CPU fan and they will be replaced on Monday.

Monday is also the last day that I can return the system (30 days). Not sure it makes sense for me to keep a computer with so many flaws vs buying a new computer from somewhere else or building one myself. There are reports all over the place about similar issues with this model.

The only thing that makes me even consider keeping it is that I have over 40 Steam games downloaded to it and very  Substitute character removed as per TOU> Internet service since tornados hit my area in the fall. So downloading will take a long time.

I liked the size of this computer (about the size of an XBox One, etc) since it was for our living room TV gaming, but I probably should have gone with the Aurora or another manufacturer. I somehow overlooked the weak 330 watt power supply as well.

8 Posts

Should also mention that the system passes all the pre-boot (F12) tests. 

11 Posts

I don't know if the reason for the problem is the same but we used to have some GX280's that developed, what sounds like a similar  problem.

Their CPU fan would go into overdrive.

Sounded like a jet aircraft taxi-ing for takeoff.

I was told that a sensor located directly under the CPU was the problem.

Replacing the motherboard would always fix the problem.

8 Posts

April 17th, 2014 13:00

I think you are probably right that it is the motherboard sensor. However with my luck it will seem fixed for a day then it will be too late to return the PC if it happens again.

Guess I better buy that extended warranty.

1.8K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 11:00

Hi!

How did it go? Was the problem solved with the Motherboard and fan replacement?

No Events found!