Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2011 11:00

Brand new M18X

I recieved my m18x yesterday after waiting two weeks. After the windows updates I started to download the witcher 2 from steam and more than half way through the computer crashed and when I went to boot up it would only give me a blue screen of death. I called this morning and the tech determined that there us something wrong with either the memory or the CPU. This was based of an error code 2000-0221. So a tech is coming over tomorrow to fix it. Anyone had to deal with this? Should I just ask Dell to send me a new one? I'm pretty ticked off, I spent $4000.00 to get this laptop.

July 21st, 2011 12:00

My guess is memory--I believe that memory prices spiked unexpectedly last year after a supply shortage, and I think the supply channel has broadened to allow higher failure rates than normal.  Just a guess.  I did buy some cheap triple channel memory a few months ago to add to my Aurora R1 and I never could get the extra three simms to work consistently.  So I returned them and paid a premium for three new simms from Crucial.  They worked fine.

65 Posts

July 21st, 2011 12:00

I would let the tech repalce the ram and thats all. All the threads I have read regarding the tech that Dell sends out know nothing about our laptops. If they want to replace the CPU, I woulld suggest that you request it go back to the factory (I had to do that with an M1530). Also since it is so new, you are still in the 21 day window and you can request a replacement.

July 21st, 2011 13:00

JediWill makes a good point about the replacement window, but if you decide to go that route (like if the RAM doesn't work), I HIGHLY recommend you read the fine print to your purchase agreement.  Typically Dell's replacement policy for a new computer is that it will be replaced with a refurbished computer.  In other words, you might trade one problem for another.  Meanwhile, I do hope it goes well for you.  One other thing about RAM that sometimes happens is simply that the initial build didn't snap the RAM into the socket all the way and/or that the modules got a bit loose during shipping.  My Inspiron 8200 had this happen a couple of times when it got older, and all I had to do was re-seat them and all was well.

Hope that helps, and definitely good luck to you!  That's a big investment and obviously you want it handled right.

9 Posts

July 21st, 2011 13:00

So it may an issues of cheap ram? I'm not sure if I need to ask for a replacement if they are willing to come and replace the ram tomorrow. I'm just annoyed at the fact I was excited to get it and I didn't even get a chance to play anything.

Update.

I called and told them I wanted a new laptop and they are sending me a new one, not a refurb. Hopefully I wont have to wait too long.

No Events found!